PDA

View Full Version : Theresa's sketches

Aiylah
11-29-2015, 02:58 PM
Hello forumers :wave:
I posted on here ages ago, a few years now I think. Making an appearance in the art journal section again after poking my head around the door of the oils forum not so long ago :D

I picked up this new sketchbook, which is actually a scrapbook but I wanted to try the brown paper! So here goes, first two pages :) Thanks for looking :clap:

Joan T
12-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Glad to see you are back sharing your work. Nice!!

Aiylah
12-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Thankyou Joan :)

Here are a couple quick sketches from this evening :wave:

DrDebby
12-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Great pages. Love the elephant.

Aiylah
01-06-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks Debby :)

Here's another double page from the brown paper journal, and a few pages from another smaller journal.

Aiylah
01-09-2016, 12:23 PM
And another small-journal double page :)

DrDebby
01-09-2016, 03:55 PM
Delightful! The cat and butterfly is my favorite.

Joan T
01-09-2016, 10:34 PM
Love the cats and the elephant! I like your abstract pieces too...they shimmer.

Sam B
01-19-2016, 11:42 AM
nice sketches!
Thanks for encouraging me to buy a sketchbook. need to buy one at the moment so I can sketch anything and anywhere. I Just keep pushing it off....

Aiylah
01-21-2016, 03:18 PM
Thanks again Debby, and Joan! The paint I used is a metallic kind of poster paint or model paint I had lying around unused, hence the shimmering. The idea of some of this journalling is using materials and things that aren't being put to use otherwise :)

Thanks too Sam B, I'm glad to have encouraged you :D I have quite the opposite problem, I have to refrain myself from buying sketchbooks or notebooks. I was good today though, I drove past Hobbycraft on my way home and couldn't resist a wander around.. and I didn't buy a new sketchbook :lol:

Here are a few more pages from both journals :)

DrDebby
01-21-2016, 03:29 PM
Using supplies is always good, especially when they are shiny. :D Great pages.

Aiylah
01-21-2016, 04:18 PM
I agree! It's also good to stick in old receipts, ticket stubs.. things I tend to not throw away like I should :lol:

I did another page just now so thought I'd share whilst I'm online! :) "Pathetique" is a little boat character I created a few years ago and has appeared in a few paintings and sketches, so I've revived her here :)

DrDebby
01-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Cute boat. Does she have a story since she's a recurring character?

eyepaint
01-22-2016, 08:56 PM
Love the kitty with the upturned face :)

Joan T
01-22-2016, 11:05 PM
I like your collage!

Aiylah
01-25-2016, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys :wave:
Debby, I never really sculpted out a story or background for her, I just did a few paintings/sketches evolving around her and gave her a name. I'm not sure if I ever wrote anything much but I did recently find a verse, I think I had more planned but ended up not writing it :lol:

Here's the verse: (stuck in yet-another journal, one I use just for sticking stuff in, called my "book of inspirations")

DrDebby
01-25-2016, 02:50 PM
Delightful. Thanks for sharing.

JTMB
01-26-2016, 06:56 PM
My favorite is the double page spread of the cat and butterfly.

Aiylah
01-31-2016, 05:29 PM
Thankyou both :clap:

Another couple of double pages. Blue is my favourite colour!

robertsloan2
01-31-2016, 08:00 PM
So surreal! You have a strong distinctive style,gorgeous pages. Favorite is that cat with upturned face, of course. Wonderful little cat. Interesting cat facing forward too, with double light reflection in the pupils of her eyes. That profile and some of your abstracts are amazing.

Cool new pages! The blue makes a beautiful unifying color, connecting page to page and subject to subject. Gorgeous. Like the butterflies. Cat's still a favorite though.

Have you seen Neil Gaiman's Coraline the movie? Some themes for that come up here, the buttons remind me of it and the people's faces.

Katie Marie
01-31-2016, 09:58 PM
I love how there is no fear in your work. You seem so unafraid to try new things.

DrDebby
02-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Cool pages.

Joan T
02-01-2016, 08:07 PM
Great job on the pages!!!

Aiylah
02-10-2016, 07:50 AM
Robert, thankyou, I can see why you like the cats, I always love seeing your Ari and other cat sketches :) I have seen Coraline actually! I love that film :clap:

Katie Marie, thankyou, yes I use the art journals as a "safe" platform to try out new things, mistakes don't matter so plenty of space to experiment :)

Thankyou too Debbie and Joan :wave:

No new pages just yet, but soon hopefully! Browsing others' sketchbooks for motivation and inspiration :)

hobbyartist87
02-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Theresa, interesting new sketches. I love your butterfly sketches and I feel like they could lead to something new. Seeing those butterflies reminded me of how they are a sign of new life.

Aiylah
02-15-2016, 11:40 AM

Couple more from the weekend.

DrDebby
02-15-2016, 04:15 PM
Great pages.

Deborah Susan Hill
02-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Nice work! I like them all, especially your little boat and her poetry piece! The kitty is also delightful!

hobbyartist87
02-17-2016, 05:01 PM
Good water drops Theresa. They're so lifelike.

Aiylah
02-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Thankyou guys :clap:

Just one page for now, I'm trying my hand at watercolours again.

DrDebby
02-28-2016, 04:42 PM
Haunting portrait.

Joan T
02-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Great journal pages and watercolor.

Aiylah
04-15-2016, 05:24 AM
Hey journallers, have had a hiatus. Thanks again for the lovely comments :wave:

A couple of pages here, one from a new travel art journal I started.

DrDebby
04-16-2016, 05:40 PM
Cool pages.

Joan T
04-16-2016, 08:39 PM
Both of these are really nice. What is the writing on the second spread?

Aiylah
04-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Both of these are really nice. What is the writing on the second spread?

Thanks! I don't know what it says, it's quite small - it's a stamp I used over and over on the spread. I accidentally did it upside down aswell :lol:

Thanks Debby too :)

Aiylah
04-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Joan I've just had a closer look at the stamps - one of them says:

"People of the British Isles welcome you on your way to take your stand beside the Armies of many Nations now fighting in the Old World the great battle for human freedom"

The other one has fancier handwriting, can't quite read every word:

"The {something something} new heart and spirit in your company. I wish that I could shake the hand of of each one of you and bid you God speed on your mission"

The stamp set where they were included is a mailing/postal theme :)

Aiylah
05-30-2016, 10:32 AM
A couple of pages from my travel journal :)

DrDebby
05-30-2016, 03:01 PM
Lovely journal pages. Great that you have sketches and memorabilia.

Joan T
05-30-2016, 08:30 PM
The stamps with words draws you in to see what is there. I have one stamp with words and it is in this wonderful script writing. It isn't in English which I find makes it even more interesting. lol Great journal pages. Do you save everything when you travel? I do but rarely use it for anything.

Aiylah
06-02-2016, 06:10 AM
Joan - that's true about script not being in English - I find that if you don't understand the words, you are more drawn to the pattern and shapes of the letters!
I tend to 'collect' (hoarde? haha) bits and bobs from travels such as stubs, tickets etc. that I receive from bookings and things that are a definite part of the holiday but not everything is considered for this travel journal. It's only pocket sized and a lot of things like bookings are now electronic, so print outs are on A4 paper. I tend to look at things and pick out interesting bits, sometimes I cut out parts of booking forms. Other things that are smaller might fit in (e.g. the receipts for entrances to attractions). I like things that have logos or names on them.
A couple of things I will go out of my way to buy, I always like to buy postcards of everywhere I go. They are too big for my travel journal though, so I had a new idea - on the first page of the Peak District spread there are two little pieces of paper that have names of English villages on them. These papers are labels that come with sticks of rock here in the UK. Every town that sells rock tends to have labels with the name of the town on it, making it a nice little souvenir! :)

Debby - thankyou too :wave:

New page below, in light of political tensions.

Scattykat
06-02-2016, 08:15 AM
...super pages, cool style, well done 👍🏼

DrDebby
06-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Marvelous page.

Joan T
06-02-2016, 08:55 PM
I like your new journal page. I save some things but hate that most restaurant receipts are now printed on some kind of paper and the print fades really quickly. I have receipts that I put in my journals and now they look like blank paper.:(

Aiylah
06-09-2016, 05:04 PM
I like your new journal page. I save some things but hate that most restaurant receipts are now printed on some kind of paper and the print fades really quickly. I have receipts that I put in my journals and now they look like blank paper.:(

True! I wonder if mine will fade over time too, I didn't think of that. And thanks again :wave:

Thanks also Debby and Scattycat :)

Munin Raven
06-10-2016, 11:54 AM
Loving all your recent pages. Fantastic experimentation and whimsy. Where on earth did you get that stamp from in post #33? What a great find.

Aiylah
08-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Loving all your recent pages. Fantastic experimentation and whimsy. Where on earth did you get that stamp from in post #33? What a great find.

Apologies, I didn't see this (and haven't been around for a while!) but the stamp came on a sheet of different stamps, I believe it may have been from Hobbycraft, but I struggle to remember. May also have been The Works! Thanks for commenting :)

Couple of pics here... a doodle, a pic of my growing art journal when "closed" (it doesn't close properly as you can see!), and a page with a sketch of a hiker. The "500" card was to mark my completion of walking 500 miles this year so far for a challenge where you aim to walk 1000 in a year. I started end of Feb, a bit late, and have another 500 to go before the new year. I used the sketch of the hiker and the 500 card to post my milestone in the challenge Facebook group :)

Joan T
08-01-2016, 09:01 PM
That's a lot of walking! Collage journals never seem to lay flat. lol That's cause each page has so much character. I like your doodle!

DrDebby
08-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Lovely stuff. Congrats on walking so many miles.

Aiylah
08-05-2016, 05:10 AM
Thankyou guys - yes full of character, I like that idea Joan :D

Here's another page - playing with textures - I used crepe paper to create the texture, watercolours to paint.
Nearing the end of this journal, which will be an achievement for me, as I tend to start sketchbooks and rarely finish them! :lol:

Munin Raven
08-05-2016, 09:25 AM
...the stamp came on a sheet of different stamps, I believe it may have been from Hobbycraft, but I struggle to remember. May also have been The Works!

Ahah, I don't think I've ever been in one of them hobby shops. I might have to check them out. Thanks.

Oh, and great new additions. I like walking myself, but I doubt I've even done 100 miles so far this year. Congratulations, and keep at it. :thumbsup:

Aiylah
08-05-2016, 10:06 AM
Ahah, I don't think I've ever been in one of them hobby shops. I might have to check them out. Thanks.

Oh, and great new additions. I like walking myself, but I doubt I've even done 100 miles so far this year. Congratulations, and keep at it. :thumbsup:

Thanks - Hobbycraft drains your wallet :lol: But I go there when I need "serious" supplies (or when I am on a binge, hah!). The Works is good for little crafty bits and quite inexpensive. I actually also find stuff in Wilkos sometimes, they seem to do some craft things too now, the stamps might even be from there.

Before the walking challenge I enjoyed hiking as and when I had time, so the challenge has forced me to get out more often and enjoy the local area rather than wait for holidays and day trips :) Although it got a bit tedious over the last month or so :lol:

___

New page! Just a simple one.

DrDebby
08-05-2016, 03:23 PM
Sweet pages. The butterflies are lovely.

Joan T
08-05-2016, 11:00 PM
Nice textures on the butterfly pages and fun design on the last one.

Aiylah
08-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Thankyou Joan and Debby!

I am back from nearly 3 weeks spent away from home, in various places across the north of the UK. The last week was spent in Edinburgh for the Fringe Festival (a huge arts festival for those unfamiliar).

This is my last page in this particular journal, which is a quick scribble of one of the views of Edinburgh. Onwards to a new journal! :)

DrDebby
08-29-2016, 07:31 PM
Congrats on the finish. Great sketch.

Munin Raven
08-30-2016, 03:48 PM
I really like the boarders in post #52. Very nice. Also a great little sketch from the Edinburgh Festival. I've only been once, about 15 years ago. Great time.

Also, I took your suggestion and poked my nose in a Hobbycraft store, when I was working in Chester the other week. Holy smoke, I'm glad I didn't have my wallet on me at the time! I only made it down three isles before I just had to get out of there. I could have gone mad, but I only had a pocket of change, so I got some more of those transfer font things (which I like) and a tube of glitter and some stickers for my niece. The trouble is, I was eyeing up the glitter for a few days, and now it looks like my niece won't be getting any, haha. Of course I feel guily, so I'll have to pick up another tube from somewhere else now. Grrr... what have you done to me! :eek: :lol:

Aiylah
09-05-2016, 03:48 PM
I really like the boarders in post #52. Very nice. Also a great little sketch from the Edinburgh Festival. I've only been once, about 15 years ago. Great time.

Also, I took your suggestion and poked my nose in a Hobbycraft store, when I was working in Chester the other week. Holy smoke, I'm glad I didn't have my wallet on me at the time! I only made it down three isles before I just had to get out of there. I could have gone mad, but I only had a pocket of change, so I got some more of those transfer font things (which I like) and a tube of glitter and some stickers for my niece. The trouble is, I was eyeing up the glitter for a few days, and now it looks like my niece won't be getting any, haha. Of course I feel guily, so I'll have to pick up another tube from somewhere else now. Grrr... what have you done to me! :eek: :lol:

:lol: :lol: It is addictive, right? I'm glad there isn't one too near me.. but a new Works has opened up in the next town (bank account: :crying: ). The borders are a decorative tape by the way.. that's another nice thing to collect.. I didn't say that, nope :D Did your niece get any glitter after all?

@Debby, thanks :)

Munin Raven
09-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Haha... The funny thing was, my eye latched onto a big selection of different coloured dinosaur rubbers I used to love as a kid. I've thought about them at least three times since, but it's going to take me a while to come up with a reasonable, rational excuse as to why they would look perfect on the shelf above my girlfriend's thimble collection. :crossfingers:

But seriously, I'm really glad I went in, so thanks. :thumbsup:

Did your niece get any glitter after all?

Err... I'm an optimist, so I view the tube as half full? :clear: :)

JTMB
09-12-2016, 12:22 AM
Got caught up on your journals after being away from the forum for awhile. I really like the backpacker sketch - I used to do that a lot but wore out my knees from that, running and football and now have two artificial knees...! :eek:

Aiylah
10-01-2016, 12:23 PM
Err... I'm an optimist, so I view the tube as half full? :clear: :)
:lol: :lol:
As for reasonable,rational excuse for the rubbers.. why, "nostalgia" of course :lol: They would certainly complete your girlfriend's collection! :D
And you're welcome! :)

@JMBT thanks, sorry to hear about your knees! :eek: I twinged my hamstring in the hills this summer but its recovering thankfully.

Anyway, new journal theme! I am participating in Inktober, so a new inked drawing each day. Currently my arm is in a sling (shoulder injury) and it's my dominant hand so the first few will be drawn with my left hand,.

DrDebby
10-01-2016, 02:02 PM
Really wonderful drawing with your off hand.

Aiylah
10-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Thankyou DrDebby :wave:

Day 2: a mini ink sketch today!

eyepaint
10-02-2016, 09:38 PM
I really like the kitty face from Day 1. :)

Aiylah
10-06-2016, 08:46 AM
Thanks eyepaint :clap:

Here are Inktober days 3, 4 and 5. Still ongoing with non-dominant hand. Am learning control!

eyepaint
10-06-2016, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't want to be in the blue boat upside down :)

Aiylah
10-09-2016, 07:48 AM
eyepaint, haha, sorry to say I felt a bit like that on that day :lol:

Here are days 6-8!

eyepaint
10-09-2016, 12:53 PM
Oooh collage!

Aiylah
10-13-2016, 03:48 AM
eyepaint - the story of the collage - started off as a usual drawing, I didn't like where it was going, so I put an ink wash over and and tried another drawing with white ink, didn't like that either so I tore it up intending to start again. But then I quite liked how the fragments made individual pieces so I formed a new artwork with them :)

Here are days.. 9-12

eyepaint
10-13-2016, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the explanation behind the collage. I enjoy the drawing you did on kraft paper (the non-white background) - you can use black ink and white ink

Munin Raven
10-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Nice to see you doing Inktober. Some great subjects. I love day 9. Good luck with the rest of the month.

Aiylah
11-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Thanks both :) I completed Inktober though didn't post them all (nor in the Pen and Ink forum), they're on my twitter though. But here are a couple to conclude this part of my journal thread :) Not doing much journalling at the moment, switching between sketching and hopefully back to painting :)

Joan T
11-17-2016, 06:27 PM
Great faces on all the animals. Glad you participated in Inktober. I don't know how I missed so many of your ink sketches. You are quite adept with your non-dominant hand.

eyepaint
11-17-2016, 10:18 PM
Love that kitty :)

bgviper
11-18-2016, 03:00 AM
the birds and kitty are ace!

Aiylah
11-28-2016, 05:51 AM
Thanks guys. I went back to my dominant hand after the first week of Inktober :)

I am more painting these days than journalling, but here is a sketch I did last night in my brown paper journal :wave:

eyepaint
11-28-2016, 10:53 AM
I enjoy the application of white and black on a kraft paper journal.

chinapete
11-29-2016, 10:57 AM
It’s interesting how the wind moves from right to left, but also swirls and brings the leaves forward … A circular motion deepens the picture space … Brown paper suggests tree, wood, autumn leaf …

Joan T
12-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Love the tree with the leaves blowing onto the opposite page!

Aiylah
12-04-2016, 06:31 AM
Thankyou eyepaint, chinapete and Joan for your thoughts :)
Here is another doodle from the kraft journal, I was playing with my Derwent paint pens again, I really like them except the black has a habit of leaking blobs so it isn't great for fine detailed work as it could potentially ruin it.

eyepaint
12-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Wheee! So cheerful!

Joan T
12-04-2016, 09:50 PM
Nice job with the Derwent pens.

bgviper
12-06-2016, 04:39 AM
the tree and the dancing leaves in post #76, i love that one! it has a swooping motion torwards the viewer, lovely!