PDA

View Full Version : Waiting at Stepho's

bradbrains
10-15-2003, 11:06 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-15-2003/18566_Waiting_at_Stephos.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Waiting at Stepho's
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24X24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the first time I have used a reference photo in at least ten years. Thought I could use a change.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
In the photo her nose was washed out so I did that in the painting too. She now thinks that her nose looks like it's a bumpy, I think it's just backlit or something. What do you think?

Rieko
10-16-2003, 03:08 AM
she's intensely waiting...

My eyes caught white edge of the nose line. Actually the way you painted her nose matches the rest of brush work. Very nice one. I really like it.

roberj
10-16-2003, 09:26 AM
On first look, everything looks great. Once mentioned, the nose becomes the focus and looks off. Third look everythings fine again. I like it. Cant see brush strokes on the screen. If the strokes are visible on the painting, it would be a good idea to show the line of the nose that way rather than having the lighter background run in on it. Very nice abstract quality.

Bob

sandge
10-16-2003, 04:50 PM
A strong image! :)

I'm afraid the nose does look a bit too 'star trek' for me. The only way to keep the light on the nose and define the edge would be to darken the surrounding background.

I also can't quite work out what is happening in the mouth area. It looks like something black flowing out of where the mouth should be? Dunno.

This looks like a black and white photo posterized to about 4 levels. I can't help wondering what has been added by working it in acrylic. Are you using the image as a jumping off point to tell the viewer something about paint or have you pushed the image further in some way?

regards,
s