http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-24-2015/1977484_Inside-1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-24-2015/1977484_Inside-2.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Inside
Year Created: 2015
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 46" x 38.5" x 2.5"
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
The painting consists of 4 individual 16x20 stretched canvas paintings. The separate pieces are mounted in a custom-built white oak frame, which is designed to resemble a window.

New light moves darkness;
nature beckons patiently.
A view from inside.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I am interested to know how this painting makes you feel. What emotions does it evoke? Does it compel you to go outside to be in the wilderness or does it make you feel content to be inside and look out the window at nature?

kin3
11-24-2015, 08:29 AM
I like it. It make me feel happy, uplifting. :)

AramSiyan
11-24-2015, 02:54 PM
It's a very nice painting but i'd think the sky colors should be more vibrant and reflect more in the water. The trees in the horizon should not have the same "color contrast," if you could call it that, as the trees/grass in the foreground. Sorry for my bad english and honesty but I would like hard critique on my own paintings too.

Dana Design
11-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Very nice! I especially like the lower half...the water is done beautifully!

fedetony
11-25-2015, 11:10 AM
Yes this piece is really nice, I like the water the most...too... :)
:)

jessw
11-25-2015, 04:14 PM
"I am interested to know how this painting makes you feel. What emotions does it evoke? Does it compel you to go outside to be in the wilderness or does it make you feel content to be inside and look out the window at nature?"

I feel the annoyance of the cross-bar in front of the landscape that draws undue attention and detracts from the landscape itself. The cross bar of the window acts as a barrier and makes it difficult for the viewer to get into the picture. Therefore as a composition, I feel it is lacking.

I will mention, however, that if your purpose with this piece was indeed to compel people to get outdoors and experience it first-hand themselves, than I think this can potentially work because it makes me want to "get outdoors" and experience the wilderness you have created here without viewing it behind a window. An interesting concept.

Random_Sample
11-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Thank you everyone for your feedback.
A few things.
kin3, Dana Design, fedetony - Thank you, I am glad it tends to make people feel happy.
That was my ultimate intent, there is too much pain on the planet.
AramSiyan - Thanks, I will pay more attention to the overall coloring. The colors are not truly reflected in the photo. Because of the large size of the piece, it is difficult to get a good picture of the whole thing. The water is far more intriguing than in the photo.
jessw - Thanks for the feedback. The bar across the middle, obstructs the view a little, that is appropriate. If it makes people want to be out in nature rather than get an obstructed view through a window, I guess it worked. However, in reality the painting and the frame do meld better than in the photo, not such glare from the frame.
Because of the construction the window pane bars were unavoidable. I decided to emphasize it rather than try to hide it. It is actually 4 separate paintings. I cannot afford a large canvas, so I am stuck with painting on 4 smaller ones and trying to make it work.
This is a conceptual piece, and the painting is only part of the effect I was trying to create.

This piece is currently a part of an exhibition for 3D wall art. I had to leave the opening reception early, so I did not get much input from the public. The feedback is invaluable.
Once again, thank you for the comments.

Everyone please try to find something to be thankful for today, not just a turkey dinner.

Bodhi Peace
11-26-2015, 04:22 PM
I am interested to know how this painting makes you feel.
The first thing I felt is wondering about the window frame. I thought "pretty wood" and "that's clever" and then "does it work?". I felt like getting closer to look at the sky.

What emotions does it evoke?
Curiosity. Amazement. Wonder. Cool.

Does it compel you to go outside to be in the wilderness or does it make you feel content to be inside and look out the window at nature?
It doesn't make me want to go outside. IT does kinda make me want to go to a real window and look out to compare what I see, but I didn't think of that at the time. Mostly it makes me want to look closer and touch the wood and get up there to see how it fits together. It sort of makes me want to be in water.

Since you asked those and no more, I'll leave it at that. But I could get into the size and choice of frame, and the size of the trees, and placement of the horizon.