PDA

View Full Version : Tingwall Valley Birders

Ladybay
11-22-2015, 01:27 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-22-2015/106080_Tingwall_Valley_Birders_Oil_on_Linen_60_x_70_cm.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Tingwall Valley Birders
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Linen
Dimension: 60 x70 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Shetland Landscape an Island North of Scotland UK. A study of some bird watchers. Which fitted nicely in to the panoramic view of the composition. They knew I was taking a photograph of them, so they stud very still. I liked the arrangement of the group, that is why I took a picture and sketched for a painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do you think the birders look too static in the painting?
It is almost the same location as my other entry on the open critique forum named Tingwall Valley Cows. But the sky is different because the sky changes form one minute to the next , making this birders painting lighter.

Comments very welcome. thanks

Dana Design
11-22-2015, 12:08 PM
Overall, I like this painting! However, the birders look a bit pasted on. Perhaps a bit of shadow that would "cement" them on the roadway would help and a bit more detail on the heads?

Lovely work on the water and land areas!

Laurelwood
11-22-2015, 05:09 PM
What a fascinating composition! I love the depth and the panoramic feel, the way you just get swallowed by that vast, turbulent sky... I would not change anything about the sky or the land, as that is done beautifully, and painterly. The road is a bit too static, same color and tone front to back. Seems it should change (darken/more saturation and some additional detail?) as it comes closer...and the people are lacking shadows under them, hence the feeling of them being pasted on...

Andrewcody
11-23-2015, 02:33 AM
A nice flock of Twitchers :)
All that is missing are some birds?
Regards
Andrew

Wassie
11-23-2015, 12:03 PM
I agree with the prior comments but I would like to see some birds, otherwise, they could be looking at anything.

Ladybay
12-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Thanks for your comments everybody , I do like the paste effect of the thickness of good quality paint. Maybe I should have spent more time on the finer detail of the face. Keeping in mind the viewer is standing from a distance, which the detail of the skin could not be seen.
There was not much of a shadow on the road because of the sky light , at the time . Also I was concentrating more on the wider expanse of the composition. I forgot to tweak and touch up the detail.... a few painting sessions longer. Thanks for bringing it to my attention .:wave:

Ladybay
12-03-2015, 06:54 PM
The flock of Twitches :lol: , the tourist knew they where being watched and stud completely still. They where looking at a ring neck duck through binoculars on Tingwall loch on the left , bird not in the picture - sorry :wave:

DutchMilk
12-03-2015, 09:41 PM
The people look out of place less because of missing shadows but more so there is too much light reflection on their clothing. It's an overcast day. The highlights are too bright for the rest of the painting. Otherwise a beaut.