PDA

View Full Version : Project Discussion: A Year of Paintings

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

pampe
10-15-2003, 08:23 PM
A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: A Year of Paintings
Project Leader: pampe
Relative Difficulty: Irrelevant
Type Restrictions: Painting
Medium: Any Medium
Subject: Not Applicable
Days open for signups: Always
Maximum participants allowed: Unlimited

Description:

This is an opportunity to paint one painting a week for a year with the support and help of your fellow Wet Canvas artists.

One painting a week for a year....52 paintings!!

Imagine your improvement after this is done!

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/browse_details.php?proj_id=560)

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.

M.A.
10-15-2003, 08:32 PM
Does the year begin in January ... or does it begin today?

:D

pampe
10-15-2003, 08:35 PM
It begins whenever you want to begin!

M.A.
10-15-2003, 08:37 PM
I can't resist a good project! Cool idea, Pam! I'm in.

KPowe
10-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Even if I only manage on every other week, that's 26 paintings. I'm gonna join in!

Helen Zapata
10-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Where's the 52 reference photos? heh heh ;)

Helen

pampe
10-15-2003, 08:51 PM
*clappin and dancin*

cool....Cathy and Helen....we b jammin

Helen.....:confused: so sorry....you gotta do that part:evil:

Strawberry Wine
10-15-2003, 09:04 PM
PULLEEZE Pam. Another project that I am interested in. I
haven't even signed up for the Challenge yet.

I've got it. I will retire from paying job, become a full time painter and hire a housekeeper and a cook. Oh Dan's just going to love this. I will probably become a divorcee, at the same time.

OK, I am in. I may not paint a painting a week until the new year but then again, I probably try and do that anyways.

Cheers,

Gail

Lady Rando
10-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Count me in! (what am I thinking? Okay, no thinking just do.)

pampe
10-15-2003, 09:26 PM
YES

Just say YES

The Universe will hear you and respond

We will have fun...and grow

:clap:

maryrose
10-15-2003, 09:28 PM
I'm in........(probably over my head:D )

pampe
10-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Mary said YES!!!!!!!!!!!

kewl

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2003/4054-cheer.jpg

Gail...I'll talk to Dan:rolleyes:

Christie
10-15-2003, 09:45 PM
Sounds like fun. I can't resist this, even with my schedule. Okay, count me in... Who needs sleep!:D:rolleyes:

pampe
10-15-2003, 10:25 PM
LOL

well, think of it this way....if you do one for some other project...it might still be your ONE FOR THE WEEK;)

or not

bairam
10-15-2003, 10:37 PM
Even though I'm fairly new to this forum I'm going to jump right in and join you all. This will be a great way to get back into my painting.

Let's go......

guillot
10-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Pampe!! What an awesome idea :) God knows I need growth, and a little push, and a little nudge .... Will be seriously considering !!

That's an all nighter on a Friday or Saturday night for me ... Hmmm.....

I need a cook
and a maid
and a babysitter
and a dogsitter
a carwasher
a gardener
a husbandsitter ( :rolleyes: well, the TV and sports will do )
and LOTS OF PAINT and CANVASES :D

Tina

Christie
10-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by guillot
Pampe!! What an awesome idea :) God knows I need growth, and a little push, and a little nudge .... Will be seriously considering !!

That's an all nighter on a Friday or Saturday night for me ... Hmmm.....

I need a cook
and a maid
and a babysitter
and a dogsitter
a carwasher
a gardener
a husbandsitter ( :rolleyes: well, the TV and sports will do )
and LOTS OF PAINT and CANVASES :D

Tina

You forgot the caffeine...:D

Lulu
10-15-2003, 10:45 PM
Fabulous idea .........My thoughts posted here:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1647655#post1647655

Christie
10-15-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by pampe
LOL

well, think of it this way....if you do one for some other project...it might still be your ONE FOR THE WEEK;)

or not

Hmmm, good point. Well, I need to start looking at references. So many references to choose from.... I'm going to need a week just for that.:D

Hmmm, too many ideas. Need to sleep on this.:D

I'm actually getting excited about this! That is a surprise in itself!:D

Gudrun
10-15-2003, 10:47 PM
Good morning , I have to take care for not doing each project, but I have also to join you:D
I'm an encaustic painter and from Germany, for me this forum is the best I saw, so I left all german pages and go overseas every day with ma PC:p
Gudrun

Johnnie
10-15-2003, 10:49 PM
Great idea Will think on it.

Have a few projects on the go now I cant keep up with.
Threads will be huge.

Good luck all

Johnnie

stewy2
10-15-2003, 11:00 PM
I'm in. This may be just the thing I need to get going again. Not too structured, just paint.

Karl

Nandie
10-15-2003, 11:10 PM
Okay, call me crazy, but I just signed up.:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Since I just started on a WIP of my Dad, Papa's morning coffee (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1647774#post1647774) that can be my first. Pampe, I gave your project a little plug there too! :)

Stoy Jones
10-16-2003, 12:15 AM
Minor hesitation, but I'll be there with my pastels! :D

Stoy

laudesan
10-16-2003, 12:23 AM
LOL

or not

I am in.........and I was thinking along these lines :D:D I couldn't possibly commit to more than one a week, BUT I will certainly jolly well try.......if project painting CAN be included then yippeeeeeeeee if not.........oh well I will have to try harder :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

JJ

nanphe
10-16-2003, 01:54 AM
I just signed up. This may be just what I need to get painting. I hope I won't be in over my head as I'm still a beginner. But, I think this will be fun.

Nancy

tigre255
10-16-2003, 04:02 AM
:rolleyes: Well i signed up......need the push of a project to make me paint sometimes, not always.......but like the idea....thanks Pam.......

painterbear
10-16-2003, 05:57 AM
Well, I took the plunge and signed up. People just keep coming up with new projects that are too interesting to resist.

Maybe this will give me the incentive to finish some of the paintings I've been planning to do anyway.

Pam, should we number the paintings as we do them so we can keep track of how many weeks we've finished as the year goes by since people will be starting at different times????

SabZero
10-16-2003, 06:41 AM
What a motivational project! I think I'll join, so I feel more forced to do something! At the end, I'll know if I can be an artist or not (well, in my definition lol)...

Just an idea: How about a reference exchange just for this project. Say someone wants to do a funny picture of a cat, they would ask if anyone has a photo to share (probably they would give the rights of a reproduction to the artist, so no problems come up)... :cat:

How will we go about motivating each other though? ;) :rolleyes:

mpopinz
10-16-2003, 07:16 AM
How very creative!!!! I like this idea.. Maybe I'll get around to actually posting some of the stuff I paint....

Little Old Lady
10-16-2003, 07:42 AM
I joined. I had considered doing this on my own anyway but now I am committed.
JoAnn

audre2v
10-16-2003, 09:07 AM
Thanks, Pam, for getting us started. I'm hoping to have an image to post soon! Audre

ESda
10-16-2003, 10:32 AM
Hi!
Count me in..I haven't been around much..but plan to be here often and this project will support this further..
Besides I paint daily..:)

pampe
10-16-2003, 10:41 AM
bairam...good for you!

Tina....we are honored to have you join us in this!~!

*getting a ton of caffeine for Christie* ;)

Lulu....be back with answers...talking to the moderators

GUDRUN..it wioll be wonderful to see encaustics every week:clap:

thanks, Johnnie

Karl...good for you!

great , Andrea.....so glad you are in!

Stoy...I imagine some of mine will be pastels, too:D

JJ..no stress...do what you can

Nancy...it's YOUR project...make it work for you!

Barb..thrilled you'll be part of this

PB...I am thinking a date? what does everyone else think?

SabZero...we will do what we each can.....PM, comments, cheers, chocolate and good energy...let no one feel stressed......if you need support,...ASK......if you can give support.....DO!!!

Reference exchange would be great BUT I am afraid of how large this thread will get......

Iris! I would love you to be part of this!:clap:

((JoA))

Audre...you go!

Esda...you are way ahead then...great!

OK...So there are issues to decide

HOW TO TITLE/DATE PAINTINGS?

SHOULD WE LIMIT THE NUMBER OF PARTICIAPNTS?

REFERENCE IMAGE HELP? HOW?

SabZero
10-16-2003, 02:00 PM
For the reference idea:
Well, there is the library first of all.
Then someone can ask in this thread for all to see, and from there I think best would be through PM...

The thread will be huge, pampe, no doubt about that, hehe. :clap:

Nandie
10-16-2003, 02:15 PM
HOW TO TITLE/DATE PAINTINGS?

SHOULD WE LIMIT THE NUMBER OF PARTICIAPNTS?

REFERENCE IMAGE HELP? HOW?

Pampe....

TITLE/DATE: I've noticed in each Project gallery (not the watercolor gallery!) that when people post more than one painting, they automatically go in order of posting, all under the one person's name, in alphabetical order. For a good example, visit the gallery of my "Watercolor Abstract" project. So people can just number their own paintings, along with the name they give it. Eg., my first will be #1 - Papa's Morning Coffee.

LIMIT PARTICIPANTS: That might be a good idea. 52 paintings each is a lot of posted pics if everybody manages to keep up. Maybe let a few more people sign up than you think we can handle, in anticipation of those who wont' be able to post that many.

REF IMAGES: Well, in the RIL there are categories for a few certain project's images... maybe we could ask for a special category heading to put our images under?

pampe
10-16-2003, 03:23 PM
talked with Sandy...we are going to start out like this...we can always add and change things at the quarter or mid-year .....like the postcard projects did

If you number your paintings, they will appear in the thumbnalis by date....so it should be easier to keep track

If you post things to the refernec library, feel free to link or just tell folks....

any other ideas...please feel free to share

and HAPPY PAINTING!!!!

Rey
10-16-2003, 04:25 PM
Hi Pam and others :)

This is a great idea. I am going to sign up too. :)

Have a great day
Rey

Rey
10-16-2003, 04:39 PM
I posted my painting of week one which was done yesterday.

Oh dear ... I forgot to add the butt icon!!! :o Pam ... please help.

Rey

konijn
10-16-2003, 05:03 PM
OK, after much trepidation I think I will join this, unless the limit discussed on participants has been reached? But if not, I'd like to do it.

*edited to say I just checked the participants list and see I'm already on it :D *

Now I can't wait to get started!

madmum
10-16-2003, 05:19 PM
I'm in Pam!

Just what I need - another project! lol

Ruth

pampe
10-16-2003, 05:49 PM
*to the tune of Yankee Doodle*

oh...we are painting fools, aren't we
painting fools, do or die......la da da da da de da da da da da

Born on the fourth of July......

*dancing round the project room.....brush waving to the music*

pampe
10-16-2003, 07:34 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28861

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/11904/tn_Week1Adel161003.jpg

Well, Rey, congratulations on your first week's painting!

tigre255
10-16-2003, 07:48 PM
LOL @ Pampe.......Pam your are such a card........:rolleyes: :D

pampe
10-16-2003, 08:37 PM
moi?

naw

jageo
10-16-2003, 10:08 PM
gracious, Pam!
just what did they feed you in Pasadena?

JA

Carole A
10-16-2003, 11:22 PM
I was waffling on this, as I have been doing more reading about art than doing art, but your suggestion of limiting participants made me jump. And just the other day my daughter-in-law asked me if I'd consider painting some pictures for the grandchildren's rooms for Christmas.

Now I have two very good reasons to get to my room and begin painting.

Carole

lisilk
10-17-2003, 04:37 AM
Hi Pam,

Do they all have to be watercolor or is whatever we are working on okay, like silk or mixed media ? If I can mix, then I'm in.

Li

Darunia
10-17-2003, 05:16 AM
Hi all. I'm new to WC (my first post :p) and this seemed an interesting project to participate in so I signed up as well. I tried looking around in FAQ's but wanted to make sure I knew what was going on (it's my first project too :confused: ). So, it's any medium and subject we want? What does "Painting" under "Type Restrictions" mean? Thanks and cya :)

Shehaub
10-17-2003, 08:59 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28861

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/11904/tn_Week1Adel161003.jpg

Congrats on being the first entry in the project! Nice and loose. I like the limited pallette. Great first week entry!

It will be interesting to see everyone grow week by week. Great project! I assume that the painting restriction includes any paint plus pastel. Correct? Since I usually work in dry media, this poses an extra challenge. It also gives me a very good reason to get over my fear of the brush!

maryrose
10-17-2003, 10:06 AM

Hi Rey...Great first post!! Lucky you to have a live model....I'm green withe ENVY:evil: ;) .....Great job on capturing this difficult posture and overall skintones... Nice and loose style...shadowing seems dark but that could be your intent....I tend to go TOO light:D Lovely sketch!!

pampe
10-17-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Carole A
I was waffling on this, as I have been doing more reading about art than doing art, but your suggestion of limiting participants made me jump. And just the other day my daughter-in-law asked me if I'd consider painting some pictures for the grandchildren's rooms for Christmas.

Now I have two very good reasons to get to my room and begin painting.

Carole

Glad to have you , Carole!

pampe
10-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by lisilk
Hi Pam,

Do they all have to be watercolor or is whatever we are working on okay, like silk or mixed media ? If I can mix, then I'm in.

Li

any media, Li

different every week if you like

pampe
10-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Darunia
Hi all. I'm new to WC (my first post :p) and this seemed an interesting project to participate in so I signed up as well. I tried looking around in FAQ's but wanted to make sure I knew what was going on (it's my first project too :confused: ). So, it's any medium and subject we want? What does "Painting" under "Type Restrictions" mean? Thanks and cya :)

WELCOME!!!!

I am so excited that this is your first:clap:

Any medium ....I'm thinking anything that can be considered that

I don't feel competent to crtiques sculpture but if you wish to do 3 dimensional work, that's up to you.

The main focus is to do SOMETHING every week,.

pampe
10-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Shehaub...yes...definitely pastels, if that is your choice

Let's get to work!!!!!!!!

pampe
10-17-2003, 10:28 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28884

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/17372/tn_AutumnMillVignette.jpg

CONGRATULATINS ON YOUR FIRST POST!!

lovely painting

I like the composition and colors you used

The vignette style works well here.

Good work!

Pam

maryrose
10-17-2003, 10:32 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28884

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/17372/tn_AutumnMillVignette.jpg

Lovely soft landscape...I, too really like the vignette!! Great first post!

audre2v
10-17-2003, 10:36 AM

Lovely colors! How long have you been doing watercolors? Audrey

audre2v
10-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Hi, I wonder if participants in this project would mind giving some indication of how long they have been painting? It would help us beginners to have a feel for the experience it takes for the work we're viewing.

Also, please indicate the medium used. It's not always obvious to me and I'm guessing, to other beginners! Thanks, Audrey

LMCarroll
10-17-2003, 10:45 AM
:clap: Thanks for the opportunity! I have been looking for something that will force me to do something I enjoy!. I am one that needs a little discipline in daily planning. This project will defininately help.

Rey
10-17-2003, 01:24 PM

Hi :)

I love your painting, especially the autumn colours in the background and the way you rendered the water.

Rey

pampe
10-17-2003, 01:25 PM
great, LM

audrey...we'll try to remind everyone...good point!

wondermidget
10-17-2003, 01:28 PM
What an awesome idea!! I'm new here, but I'll join in. I'm a college student plus i work so it will be difficult, but I'm gonna give it a try!

Rey
10-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Shehaub ... Thanks for commenting. Colour are so difficult for me that I keep on sticking to three to four colours at a time. Makes it easier for me. :)

Mary RS ... Thanks. :) Yep ... models are difficult to come by in this remote area where I live. Shadows are too dark and it wasn't intended. The shading in the white sofa shows up much darker IRL, but my camera behaves strangely with blue's. The dark shading on the model is definately too dark. BUT ... I decided not to fiddle and scrub out, but to learn and move on. :)

Rey

maryrose
10-17-2003, 01:59 PM
Rey....you figured me out...I fiddle and scrub my stuff to a hard and ugly death:D :D Hopefully, this project will cure me of that brutality! ..not enough time for painting abuse!

CharM
10-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Wow... two entries already!

Rey, your entry seems to be the first one! And it's beautiful!

ESda, your landscape is beautiful... I love the soft pallette...

Pam... One of the things I liked about Kristin and Lauren's threads was the "journal" entries for the week... I would love it if the participants of your project also included their thoughts about their weekly submission... it's a little more verbiage than we usually include with project submissions, but it's very interesting to read... just a thought... ;)

hopefulbucky
10-17-2003, 02:39 PM

Beautiful vignette! :clap: :clap:

\Would love to learn how to do these, so much to learn so little time.

Love the peacefulness and the autumnal feeling to this. winter is coming it seems to say.

ElamDesign33
10-17-2003, 02:40 PM
Hello all, I'm gonna give this a whirl. It leaves me no excuse to not do anything. Besides, I have a ton of stuff to work on.

I'm also wondering does it include designs created on computer or strictly painting, be it paper or ceramic, etc.?

I picked the wrong week to stop drinking coffee....

Thanks!
Jodi:D

hopefulbucky
10-17-2003, 02:42 PM
I have joined Pam and am going to try, don't know if I will get one a week but it should certainly spur me on since I haven't painted anything since the round robin. Too much going on and then the flu (always some excuse I guess) But this is a great idea and feel if I can do something and contribute it is better than nothing.

pampe
10-17-2003, 03:30 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28893

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/29115/tn_Pusteblume.JPG

This is lovely work...the Oriental feel is expressive and the colors are beautiful.

I like your comments with your submission.

Good for posting your first!:clap:

Gilberte
10-17-2003, 03:33 PM
I was too impulsive when I signed up I guess........ 52 paintings ??? but I noticed there are many many participants already ....... that's going to give an explosion of paintings. Can we book a holiday now and then :D ?

aquarius
10-17-2003, 03:44 PM
Well, I doubted ...... 52 paintings is a lot!!!
But I commited myself now, so....... I'm gonna post the first one - week 42

Carola

pampe
10-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Gilberte
I was too impulsive when I signed up I guess........ 52 paintings ??? but I noticed there are many many participants already ....... that's going to give an explosion of paintings. Can we book a holiday now and then :D ?

Berte...it is a structure.....do what you choose..holiday whenever

there is no WC prison.....;)

Carola...welcome aboard

Gilberte
10-17-2003, 03:59 PM
Carola, that's nice, your joining !:clap:

pampe
10-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28896

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/9813/tn_sunflowers_4.jpg

Beautiful WEEK ONE!!!

Brava!

pampe
10-17-2003, 04:03 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28898

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/26747/tn_fall_002.jpg

:clap:

GOOD FOR YOU!

You enjoyed your Autumnal mood!!!

Good first!

Thanks for saying a little about how you felt!

madmum
10-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28893

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/29115/tn_Pusteblume.JPG

Encaustics are such an interesting medium, thank you for sharing your week 1 painting, beautiful colours!

Ruth

pampe
10-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28899

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/10535/tn_Low_tide_autumn_final.jpg

Ruthie!!!!

Good to see your first

I like the variety of colors

Thanks for sharing a little about yourself!

PAINT ON!!!

Gilberte
10-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28898

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/26747/tn_fall_002.jpg

That's very good for a young painter. The trees look a bit wacky but that's how I feel at the moment (sitting four hours in front of the PC). Keep going Carola, get risky for better or for worse !

madmum
10-17-2003, 04:08 PM

Autumn is a lovely season, made for us artists to find inspiration! Lovely first entry, Carola!

It'll be so interesting:
1. to see how much we change through this year.

2. to see how many people stick to the challenge!

Ruth

laudesan
10-17-2003, 07:21 PM

Just lovely......... I would love to see one of these mills in real life..... love the birds :)

JJ

Strawberry Wine
10-17-2003, 07:21 PM
pam 42 signed up already Maybe you better limit it to 52 and then each person can take a week to upload everything. Just kidding. Love what I am seeing so far.

Cheers,

Gail

laudesan
10-17-2003, 07:22 PM

Real Autumn colours, is the scan crooked or are these supposed to be leaning :D

jj

pampe
10-17-2003, 08:36 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28908

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/3748/tn_cat-susan-A-4-finished.jpg

sweet kitty, well rendered...can you tell the folks a little about how long you've been paint, etc?

thanks

CharM
10-17-2003, 10:05 PM

Beautiful, glowing colour! Wonderful composition! Loved your comments!

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28896

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/9813/tn_sunflowers_4.jpg

Soooo beautiful, Gilberte!

It absolutely shouts autumn... and the whole idea is to have fun while painting... Beautiful job with this!

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28908

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/3748/tn_cat-susan-A-4-finished.jpg

Barb, I like the purple you used under his chin... nice... :D

pampe
10-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28917

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/17813/tn_F3.JPG

hear hear

one down, 51 to go:rolleyes:

Gudrun
10-18-2003, 01:40 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28917

This one is beautiful, I like the colors a lot...great
Gudrun

lisilk
10-18-2003, 01:56 AM

Great mood you captured, the fur is terrific Barbara.

lisilk
10-18-2003, 01:57 AM

Great start to the project ! Look forward to watching you grow.

Li

lisilk
10-18-2003, 02:00 AM

Gorgeous color. I just started doing encaustics so I'll be learning from you. (LOL No pressure there.) This is lovely.

Li

P.S. Thank you for commenting on my wk 1 landscape.

lisilk
10-18-2003, 02:03 AM

Now this is what I would like to learn. Nice , loose brushstrokes. Beauty.

Li

lisilk
10-18-2003, 02:19 AM

I like the format and palette very much. Great start to the project.

Li

lisilk
10-18-2003, 05:40 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28931

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/29313/tn_ps_031018_randompainting.jpg

First of all...Welcome to Wetcanvas and your first project !:clap:

This is a wonderfully expressive painting. You have an instinct that I will encourage you to follow.

Second, and I know it takes a little savings, try to at least get a hold of some canvas boards if you stick with oil. There is too much bleeding and disintegration of the paper otherwise. You have a loose and spirited beginning here I like very much. Keep it up. Look forward to seeing more !

Li

Darunia
10-18-2003, 05:44 AM
Hi again all. So many entries popped up so quickly :eek: I don't really have too much time to comment on all of them but I did look at everyone of them. They're very nice, makes me feel a bit intimidated to even post, but, everyone has to start somewhere :) I thought I would try to comment on at least one though.

I liked this one a lot :) The tilted look and colors makes it look like (to me anyways), that I'm stumbling down the road in a dream.

aquarius
10-18-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by Darunia
Hi again all. So many entries popped up so quickly :eek: I don't really have too much time to comment on all of them but I did look at everyone of them. They're very nice, makes me feel a bit intimidated to even post, but, everyone has to start somewhere :) I thought I would try to comment on at least one though.

I liked this one a lot :) The tilted look and colors makes it look like (to me anyways), that I'm stumbling down the road in a dream.

Thanks for looking and commenting.
You shouldn't be intimidated at all !!!
I'm a beginner as well and new to Wetcanvas, just participate !!!
I felt the same when I discovered this site, but once your in, you will feel appreciated and this means a hell of a lot to keep going...

So, it's up to you now ....:D :D
Carola

aquarius
10-18-2003, 07:03 AM
JJ : the scan isn't crooked, the trees were supposed to be leaning, but not that much....:evil: :evil:

Ruth : thanks for looking, that's our aim, to improve, isnt it??

Gilberte : it's not you !! the trees ARE wacky !:evil:

Gail : I think you must be referring to my 'week 42' ?? I was just counting the weeks on the calender !! I 'd better change it into 'week 1', forgiven??;)

CharM : thank you, glad you like it :)

Li : thanks, I 'm watching too.....see me growing!:D

Pampe: thanks for your appreciation, great project by the way! :)

-------------------------
-------Carola----------

aquarius
10-18-2003, 07:09 AM

Cute kitten, your friend will be pleased !!

-----------------------
-------Carola--------

aquarius
10-18-2003, 07:15 AM

Rey, wow your first entry, a figure ! You DO have courage !
Very well done, maybe your shadows are a bit too dark ?? You might lighten them......maybe??

----------------------------
---------Carola-----------

aquarius
10-18-2003, 07:23 AM

Lovely oriental feeling ! Great colors, don't know what encaustics are, but it is beautiful .....

-------------------
----Carola-------

aquarius
10-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28900

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/4054/tn_persimmon.jpg

Beautiful Pampe ! Love the deep purple color and the highlights you achieved so well !!

---------------------------
--------Carola-----------

aquarius
10-18-2003, 07:29 AM

Great first entry !
Love your foliage and the vignette look !!

-------Carola----------

aquarius
10-18-2003, 07:35 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28931

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/29313/tn_ps_031018_randompainting.jpg

Thanks for sharing your first entry !!
A very good start, looks very nice. I am not familiar with oil painting, I think you done a great job on that paper....

-----------------------------
-----------Carola----------

aquarius
10-18-2003, 07:40 AM

Gilberte,

Oh yes, sunflowers......gorgeous !!
We are gonna be spoiled here !! :)

------------------------
--------Carola--------

aquarius
10-18-2003, 07:42 AM

Fun this experimenting wet in wet !
Good reflections in the water! Like it !

----------------------
------Carola-------

aquarius
10-18-2003, 07:47 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28899

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/10535/tn_Low_tide_autumn_final.jpg

Yes Ruth, I've seen this somewhere else, where could that have been ??? :D
Still like it though .......
No kidding, it's lbeautiful !

--------------------
-----Carola------

Rey
10-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Hi :)

This is going to be a long, busy, but wonderful project. Thanks Pam!

aquarius ... Wonderful autumn colours. We don't have trees where I live (or rather very few), so I am not used to see autumn like this. (Envy icon). :)

Darunia ... This is a very good start. I love the intensity of the colours you used. Welcome to the forum. :)

Gilberte ... Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, especially the background on the viewers right. :)

Gudrun ... very nice background colour. :)

Rey
10-18-2003, 10:53 AM

lisilk ... this is a WONDERFUL painting. I love the wet-into-wet, the colours, the texture ... !!! (envy icon). :)

madmum ... Of all the elements in your painting I love the sky most. But all over it is good work. :)

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28900

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/4054/tn_persimmon.jpg

Pam ... this is looking good. How do you rework something three times without getting mud? And the texture is devine. By the way ... your painting of teapot is to die for. (envy icon) :)

Barb ... This is your usual high standard. I love your pet paintings. You render their expressions or moods so well. :)

Take care everybody
Rey

pampe
10-18-2003, 11:34 AM

WOW

If you can do this on printer paper with junk paint....IMAGINE what you could do with good supplies!

You have obviously gotten the sense of values, depth and color!

Really good work

I am so glad you picked this project for your "DEBUT"

I hope you have the courage (and interest) to visit the OIL FORUM and anything else you think would help you.

You are REALLY off to a good start!

Pam

pampe
10-18-2003, 11:40 AM
BECAUSE we know this thread is going to get INSANELY busy, I think you can skip all the THANK YOU THREADS. Please only post if someone asks you a question....will that be ok?

And at the end of a week, I will place a DATE MARKER thread....so we can go to the next week. So this was started on
Oct 16....next week will start on Oct 23.

or we will NEVER figure this out!

Any comments...please make them now:

M.A.
10-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Question

I was sort of thinking my official week would start after the Robin is finished but I've painted two paintings this week for another project ... do they count ... or does it have to be a painting especially for this project? And I was thinking of picking a theme ... for example, I've been thinking of the idea of doing a self-portrait a week ... that way, maybe (if I can keep up - lol) I could possibly chart my progress in that direction and maybe even, in about a year, end up with a self-portrait that somewhat resembles what I look like.
:D

pampe
10-18-2003, 11:46 AM
what a great idea.....imagine your self portraits in a year!

if you paint....it counts
sure...post something.....this is for you....no policing

and by all means, don't short change the elephant:eek:

Love to have you aboard, MA

audre2v
10-18-2003, 12:11 PM

I love the way the colors blend! Someday I hope to be able to achieve this look. How long have you been painting? Audrey

audre2v
10-18-2003, 12:32 PM
Question for you who are "vets" at project postings: is anyone going to look at our works in progress and answer questions we have posted there? Or is there a better way to ask for help?

Thanks, Audrey

SabZero
10-18-2003, 01:11 PM

Hey, I love the colours! Nice work! :clap:

Gilberte
10-18-2003, 01:31 PM
No remarks or question Pam. I think YOU are going to be busy.

Forgive me if I don't respond to all of the participants postings individually, but I've developped some funny sort of pain in my right arm and hand due to mouse-ing on the PC ... I think! I keep dropping in nevertheless ;)

pampe
10-18-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by audre2v
Question for you who are "vets" at project postings: is anyone going to look at our works in progress and answer questions we have posted there? Or is there a better way to ask for help?

Thanks, Audrey

Audrey...good question

If you need help, please ask in this thread or send a PM....I'll try to get to it as soon as I can...then we can refer to the PROGRESS image

BERTE...I know that hand thing....happens here a lot

:eek: ...I actually have done a spreadsheet in EXCELL to keep track of these paintings!! LOL

pampe
10-18-2003, 03:49 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28941

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/29136/tn_Attitude.jpg

Welcome to the PROJECT!

Lovely painting...how big is it? How long have you been painting?

Inquiring minds will want to know;)

Gilberte
10-18-2003, 04:15 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28941

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/29136/tn_Attitude.jpg

Not too bad you said ...... ? I thin it's VERY GOOD !

audre2v
10-18-2003, 04:38 PM
I have posted my week 1 work in the works in progress with questions. Please help if you can. Thanks, Audrey

Bubba's Mama
10-18-2003, 05:19 PM
Well, Pam, you have done it again. I don't have the time for this, (she whines), I don't have the experience for this (she whines some more) and I don't have the ability for this (she wails)

But.................how else will I get any better, if I don't do it?????

So, PT has said it is ok
any medium (hmm, that is a plus)

and, and, and,

I clicked the button and am a member of this project.

And so very thankful there are no wC police!!

Great idea to force us laggards into painting more! Thanks for running this.

Susan:clap:

lisilk
10-18-2003, 05:27 PM

Lovely ! No..not " too bad. " Wish I had your light touch.

Whatever you did, looks great Pam. The shadows esp.

Thanks for your comments Rey, Sabzero and Audre. Audre- I have been doing watercolors sporadically since Feb. but more regularly the last two months.

Cheers,

Li

pampe
10-18-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Bubba's Mama
Well, Pam, you have done it again. I don't have the time for this, (she whines), I don't have the experience for this (she whines some more) and I don't have the ability for this (she wails)

But.................how else will I get any better, if I don't do it?????

So, PT has said it is ok
any medium (hmm, that is a plus)

and, and, and,

I clicked the button and am a member of this project.

And so very thankful there are no wC police!!

Great idea to force us laggards into painting more! Thanks for running this.

Susan:clap:

OH, Susan...good for you!!!! we'll all struggle together! and laugh a lot!

PLEASE LOOK AT AUDREY's PROGRESS IMAGE so we can help her.......going now

pampe
10-18-2003, 06:28 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28936

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/progress/25202/tn_week1.jpg

OH, Audrey...I think it is lovely...a little blurry on my monitor...

What paints and paper are you using?

I like the variation...it has a great Fall look

No, I do not think the background is too light

what you might do is decide where the light is coming from and add some dark shadows to bring the leaves to life.

That bottom right leaf is absolutely STUNNING!!

Bubba's Mama
10-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28936

Audrey, you "dabble" very well. A few more darks, veins in the leaves, a little more leaf definition, et voila - you are done!!

I love the colors.

Susan

jaytee
10-18-2003, 08:42 PM
OK, OK MA................ you can take that gun from my head and the glitter ball from in front of my eyes.................... Ive signed up.. fool that I am................. rahter like the self portrait idea.............. if I did it know it would have matchsticks under eyelids and bags under eyes . so IM not :d

Glad youve dated the week starting on 16th Pam............ I could still get a week 1 in :D

As project leader. ...........hows about you post instructional/info posts in red or summat so we can spot them more easily whizzing through ??? Other wise youll get the same questions over and over

pampe
10-18-2003, 08:48 PM
well, Okey dokey, Janet

shouldn't you be in bed?

GLAD TO HAVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

laudesan
10-18-2003, 11:22 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28962

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/progress/22284/tn_Moulin_closeup_sketch.jpg

I have dawn the sketch for my first weekly painting :) I hope to start painting today. I have decided to try and paint something just for this project, and not use something I have already painted :D:D

JJ

madmum
10-19-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by laudesan
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28962

I have dawn the sketch for my first weekly painting :) I hope to start painting today. I have decided to try and paint something just for this project, and not use something I have already painted :D:D

JJ

Teachers pet! :p

laudesan
10-19-2003, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by madmum

Teachers pet! :p

Who Moi :angel: :D:D:D

JJ

painterbear
10-19-2003, 05:25 AM

Even using lesser-quality art supplies, you did a terrific job with this painting.

Wonderful cloud-filled sky and rich earth tones beneath.

painterbear
10-19-2003, 05:29 AM

Wonderful, joyous painting of these beautiful flowers. I really like the background you set the blooms against, Gilberte.

painterbear
10-19-2003, 05:32 AM

Beautiful encaustic painting, Gudrun. I like the Asian composition and approach very much. Lovely warm colors make it glow. It must really be beautiful IRL where you can see the texture of the wax.

aquarius
10-19-2003, 06:21 AM

Not too bad???
I think it is wonderful, the eyes and lips are amazingly well done!!

-----------------------------
---------Carola-----------

aquarius
10-19-2003, 06:30 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28936

Audrey,
Very good start, lovely colors, I suggest you make those leaves more lively by putting in more detail and using different values.
I haven't got enough experience to explain to you what you could do exactly but I'm sure some others will !

------------------------
------Carola----------

M.A.
10-19-2003, 07:39 AM
Glad you're in, Jaytee :D

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 08:56 AM
Put my WIP in the progress section of Week 1 - need HELP!!

All comments, suggestions, etc. greatly appreciated.

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 08:58 AM

Need I say more? Sammy is one happy girl!!

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 08:59 AM

Ruth, I love the colors. Sky is not my thing either!! Nice job.

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 09:01 AM

I agree with your assesment - BUT would add you have set the mood of the painting beautifully!! Foliage colors great!!

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 09:02 AM

Pam - it goes without saying - I love the bright colors, and am interested in the pastel over WC. Just jazzy!!

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 09:04 AM

Rey - can't comment intelligently - know nothing about figure work. Can say that her angles appear to be too sharp to me (elbows, knees, etc.) However, that could be deliberate on your part!

Looking forward to week2's entry.

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 09:06 AM

Gudrun - this is magnificent. I love your use of color, and composition. I have tried the encaustic wax technique - and I know how difficult this is! Fantastic. Can't wait for more!!

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 09:07 AM

Gilberte - beautiful as always. You succeeded in rendering the sunflowers in an expressionist manner. Just lovely.

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 09:09 AM

Wonderful soft colors - must be my monitor, but everything seems to tilt to the left!!

Looking forward to week 2

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 09:10 AM

She is gorgeous!!

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 09:13 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28976

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/9833/tn_lemoulindone.gif_copy

Sylvia - I know what you mean about the Artistico - at only 90# you are sure to get buckling, even if you stretch it. I have a mess of Uno - 140#, and have to stretch it!! And it doesn't hold up to scrubbing, as I found out in my progress WIP!!

That said - this is beautiful. The detail is exquisite, and the colors really set the mood of the moulin! I love it.

Looking forward to next week's entry.

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 09:14 AM

Wow, Li, great reflection, great colors!!

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 09:15 AM

Amazing what you can do when you have to! Love the sky!

Susan

Ali the Cat
10-19-2003, 10:07 AM
I have just signed up for this project, its a great idea Pampe. Hopefully it will help grow the motivation and perseverance tree :D

pampe
10-19-2003, 10:41 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28976

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/9833/tn_lemoulindone.gif_copy

Well, you know I love the painting,,,well done...why would you use 90lb??

pampe
10-19-2003, 10:42 AM
welcome, ALI!!!!!

pampe
10-19-2003, 10:44 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28980

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/progress/21342/tn_week1D.JPG

Susan...I think it looks juicy and wet which is a good thing.

What is it that bothers you?

Elankat
10-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Okay Pam. I'm a procrastinator. I don't paint much at all. I'm incredibly slow when working on pieces. I'm not good with commitments. HOWEVER, I'm never really going to learn watercolor unless I commit to it in some way.

So...
*sigh*

You've managed to rope me with this project. :)

aquarius
10-19-2003, 11:39 AM

Very nice detailed painting !
Especially like the green hanging down over the walls !

--------------------------
---------Carola---------

SabZero
10-19-2003, 11:39 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28980

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/progress/21342/tn_week1D.JPG

Trying to help you with your wip there:

- Try ro soften the 90 degree angles in the background near the pumpkin.
- Maybe a bit of colour or hue variation in the background?

Well, I don't have much to add! It's great so far! Keep it up! :cat:

aquarius
10-19-2003, 11:48 AM

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/progress/22284/tn_Moulin_closeup_sketch.jpg

So, it looks like we are gonna see Painterbear's moulin in close-up ???
Sketch looks good so far, waiting for the rest...;)

--------Carola----------

aquarius
10-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28980

I like your subject, I just love pumpkins, maybe.......I'll risk one next week........
Your painting looks very nice so far.
I would suggest more variation in the background and more details on the pumpkin like the section lines, a few more darks and you're done !!

----------------------
------Carola--------

painterbear
10-19-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by aquarius

So, it looks like we are gonna see Painterbear's moulin in close-up ???
Sketch looks good so far, waiting for the rest...;)

--------Carola----------

LOL! Carola, it's not MY Moulin, JJ and I are both using the same photo as a reference and it was taken by our stalwarth leader of this project, Pampe!

I just finished my painting before Laudesan did.;) :angel: :cat:

painterbear
10-19-2003, 03:10 PM

Well, you know I love the painting,,,well done...why would you use 90lb??

er-r-r-r-r…because it was there????? :confused:

Received some as a gift and decided to see if I could do anything with it.

Will probably use the rest for color charts and mixing colors and anything else I can think of, but will definitely work on 140 lb. or heavier from now one.

Gudrun
10-19-2003, 03:15 PM

Oh this is beautiful, with a lot of detailed work and warm colors...Would like to go there...nice area...
Gudrun

nanphe
10-19-2003, 04:03 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28983

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/progress/23474/tn_fall_leaves_wip.jpg

I've just uploaded this progress entry. I've been lurking on this board for several months, but haven't gotten up the nerve to post anything. I'm still a beginner, but I took a couple of watercolor classes about 5 years ago and produced maybe 5 or 6 paintings I was pleased with. Then life got in the way and I quit painting. I found this forum a few months ago and have been dabbling again. I find that I have had to start all over again.

I started this painting and have come close to tossing it, but decided to stick with it. How else am I to learn? Right? I'm so glad that you started this project, Pam, as it will force me to do what I need most...paint, paint, paint.

audre2v
10-19-2003, 04:30 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28983

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/progress/23474/tn_fall_leaves_wip.jpg

I can't wait to see your final painting! I want to paint leaves, too, but mine didn't turn out this time. It looks like you've used transparent colors like I should have. What colors did you use? How many washes did you make to get the lovely colors to this point?

Thanks for showing your work - and I hope, for answering my questions!

Audrey

ElamDesign33
10-19-2003, 04:54 PM

how big is it? How long have you been painting?

It's about 16x20. I've been mainly doing graphic design for about 15 years. Painting was a hobby - not so much anymore.

Thank you all for your comments!:D
Jodi

nanphe
10-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28983

Audrey,

I'm using Daniel Smith colors:

Quinacridone Rose
Quinacridone Gold
Quinacridone Sienna
Sap Green
Windsor Blue
Permanent Brown

I have 2 to 3 glaces in most areas at this point. More in some areas. I'm really struggling with it as it is beyond my abilities at this this stage of my progress and it is becoming overworked. But I'm going to finish it if it kills me! LOL!

Nancy

Bubba's Mama
10-19-2003, 05:05 PM

Thanks to all who commented. Have washed out the 90 degree angles in the background by the pumpkin. Hardly showed up in real life!! The bg is a mottle of blue, pink, purple - just doesn't show up in photo. Cheap camera.

Added more shadows to the punkin, and its done!!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Susan

hopefulbucky
10-19-2003, 07:02 PM

Jenny, really am liking this, love you colors on the leaves. You are doing great.:D :D

nanphe
10-19-2003, 08:13 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28994

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/progress/23474/tn_fall_leaves_wip2.jpg

What do I need to do to make my posted image larger in the project file (not the thumbprint image, but the large image)? I've looked at the properties on some of the other images posted here and made mine a similar size, but when I load it it still comes out small. Is this an aol thing?

Nancy

pampe
10-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28984

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/25202/tn_week1.jpg

I stand by my earlier comments..nice use of color...especially that right lower leaf

Good first submission!

Pam

pampe
10-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Nancy

Have you posted that image in the FINAL images...I can't find it???

nanphe
10-19-2003, 08:44 PM
Have you posted that image in the FINAL images...I can't find it???

Pam, I posted it in "Works in Progress." I just can't figure out what I need to do to get a bigger image.

Nancy

lisilk
10-19-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by jenniemarkle
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28994

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/progress/23474/tn_fall_leaves_wip2.jpg

What do I need to do to make my posted image larger in the project file (not the thumbprint image, but the large image)? I've looked at the properties on some of the other images posted here and made mine a similar size, but when I load it it still comes out small. Is this an aol thing?

Nancy

Lovely painting Nancy. Generally if you keep your image no larger ( or smaller ) than 600 X 500 pixels, you should get a larger image.

Cheers,

Li

J. Harris
10-19-2003, 09:21 PM
My first project with WC!
A good place to start I think!
I do more than watercolor but if I can do the watercolor will probably kick me into gear for others.

pampe
10-19-2003, 09:27 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28994

It looks great and the size is quite large enough

Good work!

Can't wait to see it when you add the additional glazes

Pam

lisilk
10-19-2003, 09:28 PM
Hi J Harris. Welcome to Wetcanvas and your first project. Very nice work, excellent shadows.

Please be sure to upload your entries in the finals gallery on the project page. That way it becomes a permanent part of the project.

Cheers,

Li

pampe
10-19-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by J. Harris
I do more than watercolor but if I can do the watercolor will probably kick me into gear for others.

Glad to have you join us...can you upload this one to the FINAL IMAGES part of the PROJECT?

Thanks...then everyone can comment on it

laudesan
10-20-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by J. Harris
Your painting is just super.......:)

JJ

aquarius
10-20-2003, 05:37 AM

Looks very nice, warm colors...I think you've done a great job on the shape of the leaves !
Really would like to see it in a larger size !

-------Carola----------

lisilk
10-20-2003, 07:03 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29010

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/19215/tn_Resize_of_DSC01017.JPG

Vibrant, alive and wonderful. Please tell us more !! Medium, size, etc.

Cheers,

Li

Arahlek
10-20-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by lisilk
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29010
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/19215/tn_Resize_of_DSC01017.JPG
Vibrant, alive and wonderful. Please tell us more !! Medium, size, etc.
Cheers,
Li

Hey Li,
It's oil on canvas paper, about 50cm x 30cm. I've just realised the shot cuts off the top, there's a cross on the steeple... am away from home just now, so it'll have to stay like that.
I've put a thin layer of stand oil with a touch of turps over it, love the shine.
I've decided to make this "one work a week project" a start of new week wind-down thing, beginning something new each Sunday evening.

pampe
10-20-2003, 10:24 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28998

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/11607/tn_10-19-03_tree_plein_air_web.JPG

Good to see you here, MR

Nice PA....lookk forward to seeing more

audre2v
10-20-2003, 10:53 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28998

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/11607/tn_10-19-03_tree_plein_air_web.JPG

Love the lights you captured! I remember those mesquite trees from the Arlington, Texas area. Audrey

J. Harris
10-20-2003, 11:47 AM
Well, looks like the project has already worked for me.
Work in progress: Started last night, continued until I had to go to work this morning.:clap:
Thanks!
will post on wip

nanphe
10-20-2003, 11:56 AM

Beautiful painting! I like the soft colors that you have used. It makes me want to spend an afternoon in this quiet place with a good book.

Nancy

nanphe
10-20-2003, 12:00 PM

Fabulous! What beautiful, vibrant colors and a very interesting approach!

nanphe
10-20-2003, 12:08 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29017

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/progress/18311/tn_wip2.jpg

Great start! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. How large is the painting?

Nancy

stewy2
10-20-2003, 01:18 PM

I do believe you have caught the essence of the 'Less is More' approach to traditional Asian style. Very nice.

Karl

stewy2
10-20-2003, 01:21 PM

I work the local rodeo every year, and I am pretty sure I have seen this woman.

karl

stewy2
10-20-2003, 01:24 PM

Ahhhh. Reminds me of back home in Pennsylvania.

Karl

aquarius
10-20-2003, 01:29 PM

Definitely something different !
Very colorful, like the shine on them !

---------Carola----------

aquarius
10-20-2003, 01:31 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29017

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/progress/18311/tn_wip2.jpg

Looks promising.......

--------------------------
---------Carola--------

Gudrun
10-20-2003, 01:36 PM

Thats what I love...colorful and a little abstract...great
Gudrun

aquarius
10-20-2003, 01:41 PM

I think you achieved to render what appealed to you, because it shows so well in your painting (those yellow flowers and the light caught my eye as well)

--------Carola---------

pampe
10-20-2003, 01:49 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28999

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/18311/tn_self2002.jpg

Nice WEEK 1 entry!!

I like your paleete

what size is this?

pampe
10-20-2003, 01:50 PM

This is really interesting...I would like to know more about it...media? size? How long you have been painting?

Thanks
Pam

edit...opps...I see you have already answered that.....forget I asked!

ElamDesign33
10-20-2003, 02:45 PM

I love the colors in this. I've only been brave enough to try pastel once - it was a great, fun, mess!

I can't wait to see more!

ElamDesign33
10-20-2003, 02:49 PM

Nice work! I admire plein air artists.:D

ElamDesign33
10-20-2003, 02:53 PM

I really like this. I love the looseness of it. (I don't know if that's a word.) It's fresh.

ElamDesign33
10-20-2003, 02:57 PM

You have way more patience than I do! Your detail is lovely!

Speaking of buckling problems, does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to stretch watercolor paper? I have some bigger sheets I'm dying to try, but I don't have a very god way of stretching it.

Jodi

Bubba's Mama
10-20-2003, 04:52 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28984

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/25202/tn_week1.jpg

do that all the time!! This is lovely. Looking forward to week 2.

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-20-2003, 04:53 PM

You are right, it is a happy place.

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-20-2003, 04:55 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=28999

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/18311/tn_self2002.jpg

Painting is great!! Looking forward to week 2

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-20-2003, 04:56 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29031

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/18715/tn_lanscapefin.jpg

I like this Stoy. Nice colors, delicate bridge.

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-20-2003, 04:57 PM

Colorful! I like the patterning. What size is it?

Susan

lisilk
10-20-2003, 05:35 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29039

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/23474/tn_fall_leaves_final.jpg

Exquisite ! :clap:

Li

nanphe
10-20-2003, 05:44 PM

Gorgeous, loose painting! I love sunflowers any time of year. :clap:

nanphe
10-20-2003, 05:48 PM

I don't know where the picture was taken, but it looks like a place I'd like to visit. I can hear the water bubbling under the bridge. Your stonework and greenery on the bridge are outstanding. :clap:

Christie
10-20-2003, 05:50 PM

Lovely fur work!:)

Christie
10-20-2003, 05:52 PM

I love the depth in this piece.:)

nanphe
10-20-2003, 05:53 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29042

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/13320/tn_Poppies-in-a-vase-for-chall.jpg

I think your poppies glow. Such a bright, cheerful painting. Love it!

Nancy

Christie
10-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29039

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/23474/tn_fall_leaves_final.jpg

This is amazing! It brings back memories of my childhood. I would have to say that it is a total success.:)

pampe
10-20-2003, 05:55 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29038

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/3523/tn_week1.jpg

Nice !st Week ENTRY, Christie

pampe
10-20-2003, 05:59 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29042

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/13320/tn_Poppies-in-a-vase-for-chall.jpg

Gail

Good to see your WEEK ONE!!!

I don't see the loss of "glow"

I think the top half works really well

Not as sure about the bottom half

The flowers are lovely but I do think they need to be a little more varied in value.....like the light comes from one direction...

nanphe
10-20-2003, 06:00 PM

What a vibrant painting! How do you get the texture in the background? Did you use ink or watercolor for the fine dark details?

Nancy

pampe
10-20-2003, 06:00 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29031

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/18715/tn_lanscapefin.jpg

Hi, Stoy

I knwo you got feedback already on this so I'll just WELCOME you to the PROJECT!

Week ONE DONE!!!

pampe
10-20-2003, 06:01 PM

Well, I'm not sure why you are dis-pleased, I think it is a good and solid painting!

WELCOME TO THE PROJECT!

Pam

laudesan
10-20-2003, 06:04 PM
Oh my what fabulous paintings :) I am going to work on mine some more today, go to hurry only 2 days to go :eek:

JJ

nanphe
10-20-2003, 06:15 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29038

Nice painting, Christie. I like the way you notated the project week and dates worked on. That's a really good idea.

Nancy

Christie
10-20-2003, 06:56 PM
Thanks to those who liked my first week's picture.

I think I have totally wrecked week two's piece (already!), so back to the drawing board for a redo. This time I will wait for the paint to dry COMPLETELY before trying to glaze.:D

Strawberry Wine
10-20-2003, 07:45 PM
/thanks for looking and commenting Christie and Pam.

Had trouble with the lower half. Wanted to put more shadow in because of the surrounding foliage. Scrubbed our that one on lower viewrs right more times than I can count.
Lost my azo yellow light however. Is this because of too many washes or two much intensity in my washes. ????

Only week one, but it would be great to know the whys and the how to do different for next time

Gail

Strawberry Wine
10-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Sorry double posted ignore this one.

Gail

pampe
10-20-2003, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure, Gail

Take a scrap and put a square of the yellow......then go over it until you see what you like or don't like...that way you may know whent o stop next time

pampe
10-20-2003, 10:44 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29053

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/8214/tn_landscape.jpg

:clap: Leanne

You made it under the wire!!

Nice atmospheric painting

Do you like working wet on CLAYBOARD?

Elankat
10-20-2003, 11:23 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29053

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/8214/tn_landscape.jpg

:clap: Leanne

You made it under the wire!!

Nice atmospheric painting

Do you like working wet on CLAYBOARD?

It was fun, but there wasn't much control with the watercolor on the smooth clayboard. The ink lays down nicely, but the watercolor has to be done with very little water. As it dries, it lightens a lot on the clayboard.

It's definitely a fun surface for working loose. I have a piece of textured clayboard that I'll be trying sometime. I definitely like the idea of not having to stretch or mat the paper. In fact, if I don't get a board or some more foam core to tack down my paper, I won't be able to keep up with this project. lol! :D

Seeing as how I've only dabbled with watercolor in a half dozen mixed media pieces, I should probably stick to paper. Maybe by the end of this project, I'll have worked up the courage to do a watercolor without reaching for my ink pens or colored pencils. I'm such a chicken. :o

lisilk
10-20-2003, 11:35 PM

Very lovely. Never tried plein aire. very atmospheric.

90 lb. paper girl ! No wonder. I just used 140 and it was falling apart. That said, this has a fairy tale gentleness to it. Lovely.

Gail, I don't think you lost the glow either. The flowers are very vibrant. maybe just a tad more to the vase. Nice technique.

Great first week entry. Really caught that light !

Nice one Leanne. Leave it ! LOL.

Originally posted by nanphe

What a vibrant painting! How do you get the texture in the background? Did you use ink or watercolor for the fine dark details?

Nancy

Thank you for commenting Nanphe. This is all watercolor, which I am fairly new to. I did wet-n-wet first, then some sponging in the background and tree trunks brushed in.

Cheers,

Li

Arahlek
10-21-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Bubba's Mama

Colorful! I like the patterning. What size is it?

Susan

It's 15 x 18 inches (38 x 46 cm), I was only guessing about the size yesterday.....

Pam: I've been painting for about 3 months. This is the first thing I've actually completely finished. Got about 7 different works all around the place, incomplete....

lisilk
10-21-2003, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Kelhara

It's 15 x 18 inches (38 x 46 cm), I was only guessing about the size yesterday.....

Pam: I've been painting for about 3 months. This is the first thing I've actually completely finished. Got about 7 different works all around the place, incomplete....

3 months ! Good lordy Kel. Well keep at it because your have a great sense of color and unique approach !

Cheers,

Li

Bubba's Mama
10-21-2003, 05:50 AM

excellent week one, Gail. I think the colors in the poppies are very good. Vase seems to tilt a bit, but could be my monitor.

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-21-2003, 05:51 AM

Great painting Christie!

Susan

Bubba's Mama
10-21-2003, 05:53 AM

Don't know why you don't like it - the sunset is great! I hate work0-ing0 on clayboard - waaaaaaaaaaaay to slick.

Susan

SabZero
10-21-2003, 06:12 AM

I like it, don't wash it off, lol!

One question though about the clayboard: does the paint smudge after dry because of its smoothness?

aquarius
10-21-2003, 06:49 AM

Gail,
I think your poppies look great and the colors as well !
The only thing I would suggest is to darken the leaves on some places and not have them so much detailed to make them work together with the flowers. That's my opinion ........ for what it's worth...

------------------------
-------Carola---------

laudesan
10-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29070

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/progress/22284/tn_Moulin_closeup1opt.jpg

I don't know how to fix the sky :(

JJ

Strawberry Wine
10-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29070

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/progress/22284/tn_Moulin_closeup1opt.jpg

JJ: Your sky looks ok to me. With fresh water on your brush you can soften the hard edges or if you want to really change the sky, wet it down well with fresh water and llift with a crumpled paper towel, blotting to form new clouds or dragging across the paper to create streaks. Hope this helps.

Gail

laudesan
10-21-2003, 08:52 AM
Thanks Gail, I will give it a try :)

JJ

Elankat
10-21-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by SabZero

I like it, don't wash it off, lol!

One question though about the clayboard: does the paint smudge after dry because of its smoothness?

Not that I noticed. But, it does lift VERY easily. Also, the surface is scratchable, so you have to handle it carefully after you finish. There's a fixative that can be sprayed on it.

zornlover
10-21-2003, 10:54 AM

Hardly a scrap piece!!!! I think it is beautiful! I can't wait to see your keepers!!

Zornlover

audre2v
10-21-2003, 10:59 AM

Beautiful colors!

nanphe
10-21-2003, 11:01 AM
I want to thank those who looked and commented on my 1st weeks painting.

Actually, this was also the first painting I've posted since I joined WC in June. I've seen so many beautiful paintings from so many talented artists on this board that I just couldn't get up my nerve to post one of mine until Pam started this project. And, it wasn't hard at all...everybody is so kind and encouraging. I'm looking forward to week two.

Nancy

nanphe
10-21-2003, 11:09 AM
Forgot to add that I flattened the painting overnight and it looks pretty good to me this morning. I'll have it matted and framed and its going to one of my daughters for Christmas. One Christmas present done!

Nancy

pampe
10-21-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by nanphe
I want to thank those who looked and commented on my 1st weeks painting.

Actually, this was also the first painting I've posted since I joined WC in June. I've seen so many beautiful paintings from so many talented artists on this board that I just couldn't get up my nerve to post one of mine until Pam started this project. And, it wasn't hard at all...everybody is so kind and encouraging. I'm looking forward to week two.

Nancy

We are SO GLAD you finally came out of LURKDOM!!! :clap:

pampe
10-21-2003, 11:22 AM
TWO DAYS TILL WEEK 2

Elankat
10-21-2003, 01:36 PM

This is beautiful. Very loose and soft. I love sunflowers too.

Elankat
10-21-2003, 01:56 PM

Love the way you did the fur in this.

Elankat
10-21-2003, 01:57 PM

Beautiful use of color. The branches are really nice. I think it makes a beautiful, slightly abstracted landscape.

Elankat
10-21-2003, 02:00 PM

Wonderful use of color and portrayal of light. :)

Elankat
10-21-2003, 02:03 PM

Love the pomegranate. Do you do the watercolor first or the pastel?

nanphe
10-21-2003, 02:09 PM

I like this! An absolutely beautiful desert sunset! Painting on clayboard sounds interesting.

Nancy

nanphe
10-21-2003, 02:14 PM

Pam, I love the way you paint fruits and vegetables. I especially like the colors and highlight on the pomogranate.

Nancy

nanphe
10-21-2003, 02:18 PM

This candid shot of your husbands turned into a great painting. Beautifully done and a wonderful idea for your business cards. It really showcases your talent.

Nancy

Nandie
10-21-2003, 02:42 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/image_viewer.php?entry_id=29087

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/560/completed/14007/tn_papaWIP3.jpg

Here's my entry for Week 1. It's a painting of my dad, and I also did it as a WIP in the watercolor gallery, if anyone's interested.

I also uploaded a face detail and cup detail to the project gallery, and then it ocurred to me I probably shouldn't have done that, as the system will get overloaded that way. From now on if I do final detail crops I'll just direct y'all to the watercolor gallery where they're on display in another thread. :)