PDA

View Full Version : 3 uninspired pears

sundiver
10-15-2003, 06:29 PM
They need something. I just don't know what.
o.p.s 8x10 on green mattboard

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2003/6393-3pearsonwindow.jpg

CBruce
10-15-2003, 06:41 PM
Actually I think they look pretty good. Maybe the dark in the middle of each of the pears could be toned a little differently and maybe break up the little shadow connecting the three of them. Did you set this up on your window sill? Very nice composition.

Greeble
10-15-2003, 06:52 PM
I don't know what to add, but I like them so far.

maybe its too much greeeeen
:D

Jen

Mo.
10-15-2003, 07:13 PM
Just couldn't resist.... hope you'll forgive me.:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2003/5154-pearsonwindow.jpg

Mo.:)

p.s. oops... I forgot to warn you this is a digital addition. :D

sundiver
10-15-2003, 07:43 PM
LOL, Mo, that's just what they needed! :D
Now they have character!

Luvy
10-15-2003, 07:47 PM
Cute MO LOL I like the reflection in the window and the greenery outside the window. But I'd have to smooth out the back of those pears But that's me LOL

CBruce
10-15-2003, 11:59 PM
we do need to keep a sense of humor:) ;)

gmc
10-16-2003, 05:39 AM
I really enjoy backlit objects. I guess more side here. Maybe the shadows need a little more color. What is your light source? a window, lamp?

If you don't think so, I like them the way they are.

geri

blissfullyunaware
10-16-2003, 05:56 AM
Hopefully this is of some help, it is really a wonderful painting, the colors are scrumptious! Love the "blush" of the middle pear. The fruit, the window and all seems to be rendered beautifully. But.... it appears the background maybe throwing off the composition (like I know anything about composition???). The impression of shrubs... the shapes seem to mimic the shape of the fruit? Perhaps changing the background somehow... unfortunately I'm not creative enough to come up with an idea :rolleyes:. Anyway, I really like this and would love to see any updates you do on this.... :D.

Sharon

sundiver
10-16-2003, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the comments and advice! I'm still humming and hahing over it, trying to decide if they are too blended or not blended enough, or even too much greeeen:).
The "shrubs" you see must be the pears' reflections in the window.
I'm going to warm up/brighten up the highlights and see if I like that better.

meowmeow
10-16-2003, 07:03 AM
I like them....at first I thought maybe they needed the lights lightened a bit but when I squint I can see different values fine and the lights seems pretty light.
But....it's your painting and you need to feel comfortable with it.
Mo's addition does add interest! :D

Sandy

sundiver
10-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Mo, look what you started!

bnoonan
10-16-2003, 03:04 PM
Hi there,
Though I love the facial expressions - go ahead and try making some of those colors Zing - Sing and Fizzle!!! It may just jazz this piece up. Now you have me giving it a try in photoshop....

B

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2003/13264-6393-3pearsonwindow.jpg

(Pull out those brights!!!) Exaggerate!!!

Dark_Shades
10-16-2003, 06:13 PM
ha ha ha ....... all jokers lolol ...

dont know if this will help Wendy....... KatherineJ had probs with 3 pears sitting on a window too lol ....... this link is from the Still Life Forum...... may give you some ideas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116628

Mo.
10-16-2003, 06:30 PM
LOLOL! Wendy... those pears are singing now.....:D

BTW... I saw your enquiry about a Wacom tablet.... just to let you know I use a Wacom Graphire... I'll drop you a PM about it okay?

Mo.:)

Mikki Petersen
10-16-2003, 11:54 PM
Wendy, I liked your original pear painting just fine. I think it's a very good study in backlighting. Funny that you and Mo put faces on the pears because what I saw was three big-bottomed gossipy old ladies waddling along yakking a mile a minute:D . Then I saw where Barb added her bits of color and WHAM! What a sizzling still life painting of pears (no more little old ladies).

Craig Houghton
10-17-2003, 03:17 AM
I think I know what this needs: a frame. I love it as is. If I changed anything, it would be to get those shrubs that mimic the pears removed.

They look plenty inspired to me.

-Craig

gnu
10-17-2003, 03:50 AM
Hi HI!! *waving to Wendy*:)
first..to me it was obvious that the reflections were just that..
second, I think the tones are rich..
third..IF you have to add anything(and you don't)...I love that wee touch of purple..some in fore-mid-background....:D :D
BUT it's YOUR painting...and I'd HAte you to ruin it!!
These pears have character!!:clap: :clap:

Katherine J
10-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Wendy, just thought I'd jump in as my name was mentioned here!! I've done a particular pear setup several times in both oil (menionted here) and pastels - see:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66387&highlight=katherine%20j

I think Barb is right - you need to zing it up a bit with more colour (you know by now I'm a colour nut) 'cause it's a great painting, and of course, I love the subject! Also, my bit of advice for what it's worth is that several times in these forums I've been advised to not to let objects 'kiss' as your two pears on the left do. Why not overlap them, just ever so slightly?

Katherine