PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Riot for October-

sundiver
10-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Figured it's been a while since we had one of these!
The purpose of the Riot is for us to play with and interpret the same image and see what we come up with.
With all the talk lately about landscapes and greens, and Deborah's article recently about pathways in the Pastel Journal, I thought this one would be appropriate to play with.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2003/6393-autumnpathway.jpg
What would you do with the composition? Deborah (dee-artist) writes that a path should lead to a focal point. I thought the bright splash of gold foliage might be enough...but..??? And is the end of the path too close to the centre? Would you move it?
What would you leave out? Or add?
We wanna hear! We wanna see!
Any takers?

Mo.
10-15-2003, 07:03 PM
Wendy.. so glad you resurrected this one, hope you get plenty of takers:)... the first thing I would do with the compostion would be to......... Ah but that would be telling :D..... I'll play if I have time, that's a promise.

Mo.:)

Kathryn Wilson
10-15-2003, 07:44 PM
Sundiver: I am working on something for Mo's Water Project, but soon as I am done, I'm going to give one a shot.

We had so much fun doing these and hope all the newbies join in - :D

Luvy
10-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Since I haven't done any drawing painting etc. today I had to try this. It's a quickie and I got fed up with it. I CAN NOT DO LANDSCAPES NO LAUGHING (hands on hips)

sundiver
10-15-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Luvy
I CAN NOT DO LANDSCAPES

...But you just DID one! :D It's a great little quickie. Maybe you'll do some more on it when you get over being mad at it!

Stoy Jones
10-16-2003, 10:24 AM
Once I'm done with my other pieces, I would like to use your photo and give this a try. I feel that lanscapes don't come easy to me, too.

Luvy, I like it! Well done.

Stoy

Kathryn Wilson
10-16-2003, 10:34 AM
Dang Luvy - you beat us all to it!! You are just too darn fast for me. You've got a good start - can't wait to see more!

Maybe we need to apply the Golden Point theory of composition here too - oops, did I let the cat out of the bag Sundiver??

:evil: :angel:

sundiver
10-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by kyle
Maybe we need to apply the Golden Point theory of composition here too - oops, did I let the cat out of the bag Sundiver??
:evil: :angel:

No reason for the cat to be IN the bag! Go ahead and explain, make diagrams, draw over the picture, share your thoughts! :)

Dark_Shades
10-16-2003, 06:24 PM
....... ohhhhhh gawd n bennett...... Not MORE trees :eek: :evil: :D ..... lolol only joking....... well Id cut out all the GREEN bits :D

.... hmmmmm Friday tomorrow..... weekend coming...... Only have one sheet of paper left :eek: ..... white!!!

.... I may be back ;)

crazyartist2000
10-16-2003, 07:06 PM
Sooo...havent attempted landscape yet but...willing to give it a shot....how long do I have??

Kathryn Wilson
10-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Well, it's not exact science, but I think you'll get the idea that the focal point of where the path ends is close to the upper left GP. I flipped the image because if the eye reads from left to right, the large clump of trees stops the eye from coming into the picture.

I am no expert on composition, but trying to learn - and going with my gut too - LOL.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2003/14941-autumnpathway1.JPG

sundiver
10-16-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by crazyartist2000
Sooo...havent attempted landscape yet but...willing to give it a shot....how long do I have??

As long as you want. We started out having one of these each week, but it got a lot looser. Even if you have to dig the thread out from the back pages, go for it! :)

sundiver
10-16-2003, 08:21 PM
I am no expert on composition, but trying to learn - and going with my gut too - LOL.
Ditto here on that, Kat! Thanks for the demo, and good point about the big tree.

Mary Robinson
10-17-2003, 06:19 AM
If I were to paint this scene, I would use artist licence a bit and move a few things around and crop the image. I'd also add some of the ground leaf color from the left hand side to the right hand side behind the set of what appear to be birch trees. I would also move that first tree on the right hand side, it's a darker grey, back further to clump in with the set of birch trees.

I did a quick edit in Photoshop to show you what I mean, I hope that's alright.

Thanks

sundiver
10-17-2003, 07:00 AM
AkaMorgie,that re-arrangement looks good, and I like what you did with the path. Playing around with graphics software is a great way to discuss composition with people who are hundreds of miles away from you!
Here's my first block-in. It's just the base colors and could change drastically, and I'm not happy with the path. Advice and suggestions would be welcomed!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2003/6393-6393-riotblockin.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
10-17-2003, 07:10 AM
Gee, I like this alot - what don't you like about the path??

Is that a red paper you used??

:D

Dark_Shades
10-17-2003, 08:38 AM
why arent you happy with the path Wendy...... I think it looks great..... the only thing I noticed perhaps, is that its quite pointed looking in between the trees, and angle slightly upwards.......

other than that..... cant wait to see more........ all helpful in seeing others workings ...... it looks great already

Deborah Secor
10-17-2003, 11:15 AM
MMMMMM, fascinating. I'll be in with a painting sometime, too. I noodled around with the image, just thinking visually...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2003/23609-autumnpathway.jpg

Here I wanted to focus more on the distant path so I minimized the fore with shadows. I exaggerated the perspective to force the eye back into the distance more quickly and simplified the distant white trees. I upped the contrast of the light as a visual treat (pardon my inexpertise with a mouse and digital changes) which I'd definitely modulate in a painting. And I took away that dark tree on the left side, which I think is too strong and drags the eye from the light area. I want the foreground tree to be the dark.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2003/23609-autumnpathway2.jpg

I did about the same here but changed the direction of the pathway. I like the shape of the path in the distance better, too. I didn't take out the dark trees--either has to be removed or more added.

Oh well, all this hypothesizing. It'll all be different when I put pastel to paper anyway! LOL I never paint these kinds of forested scenes. My land is much more open--so this should be a challenge.

I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

sundiver
10-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Well, I was hoping Deborah would wander in here, and aren't we glad she did!:D Wonderful stuff. I like the second one best.
This is turning out to be a very interesting thread.
Kat, my paper is burgundy.
That blobby pointy bit halfway back in the path is yukky and has to change. I thought the bottom right needed brightening up. but Deborah made an excellent point about not distracting from the focal point.

Dark_Shades
10-17-2003, 07:08 PM
well this is my sorry effort...... its gone Midnight.... so Ive got to stop.... lol, arent you glad..... so of course its a night time pic.... so Im hoping a daylight pic will improve it :evil: :D .... if you dont see another one........ you know it didnt ;)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2003/12116-tree.jpg

sundiver
10-17-2003, 10:19 PM
Teresa Red this time, Dawn! :D
I do like the soft greens you used.
Here's mine, maybe finished, I dunno. That big patch of grass was a problem. I may try again on a new paper with a new composition, just to see what I come up with. (Then again, I may not....:) )
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2003/6393-autumn_path.jpg
Is the focal point too focal? Too bright? Feel free to pick it apart.
I used the digital from work because the scanner kept exaggerating the contrast.

crazyartist2000
10-18-2003, 08:43 AM
Everybody's pictures look so lovely so far!
Havent started mine yet...sorta lurking and watching everyone's progress:eek: and working on my portrait one.
have never drawn more than a branch. So is it okay if I just watch..and learn??

few questions........what size paper are u all working on?

Dark_Shades
10-18-2003, 10:04 AM
lol Wendy......... Trees are gawdy!!! lol ........
I think your colours are wonderful, and are exactly how I would of liked mine...... the only thought is, I would perhaps try and add some brighter/lighter colours in the path here and there....... can you talk of how you went about the colours, how you applied them.... what you used

..... been taking pics of mine all day..... didnt improve much lol..... just less gawdy :)

lol Crazy... you wont learn much from me :D ...... except what not to do...... so thats always helpful....... mine is 9 x 12"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2003/12116-Tree2.jpg

Dark_Shades
10-18-2003, 10:21 AM
Hope you dont mind Wendy..... Ive borrowed your pic and studying it...... want to improve mine...... On yours, I thought in addition just some little highlights on the trees and call it done...... the more I look at it the more I love it

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2003/12116-3.jpg

Deborah Secor
10-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Wendy, I just love your color work! The yellows and oranges near the apex of the road are just delicious. I notice you've made an implied straight line of the bottoms of the white trees, and the spaces between them and the darker tree in front are too regular. I've tried to show you here, despite my obvious lack of mousing skills...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2003/23609-6393-autumn_path.jpg
I think Dawn's advice on light is good too, sort of making a transition from shade to highlights.

Dawn, your greens are lovely... <toothy grin> I think if you widened the pathway at the front or narrowed it in the distance it would have more perspective. I particularly like that you let the front tree drop off the page--good idea. I kept thinking I wanted to place it differently but never thought of this.
;)

I'm supposed to be framing today (ugh!) but think I'll take a crack at this one just for funsies! I'll show you if I come up with time to do it.

Deborah

Dark_Shades
10-18-2003, 12:09 PM
thanks Dee..... Big Toothy Grin back at ya :D lol ..... Greens hee hee.... seems I have to work my way round the colour wheel :) ..... its a good exercise, hard for me though..... but learning, and thinking along the way..... noted about the path - wasnt happy with the foliage stuff (surprise, surprise ;) ... so took the top part off and tried again ..... bit happier now..... got more of an idea by looking at Wendy's, so this helped a great deal ..... need to sort out middle left now.. :p

Still makes me cringe!!...... Ick!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2003/12116-tree3.jpg

E-J
10-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Thanks Wendy and everyone for this Riot ... it's proving very educational! :clap:

Deborah Secor
10-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Okay, here's the cop-out version...

I admit to trying and liking the tree but unfortunately I'm painting for a gallery and really have to have things that aren't toooooo outlandish for New Mexico, so the tree had to go. The only red trees we have here are dead.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2003/23609-FieryMomentSECOR.jpg

I want to do it again but larger than this one which is only 5x8". Tell me what you might do to it...in that teensy scale!

Deborah

pampe
10-18-2003, 07:17 PM
OMIGAWD...this looked so pretty but was SO HARD

Only about a half hour, then I had to give up as I knew I had NO IDEA what I was doing

9 x 12 on blue Canson

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2003/4054-pastelriot.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
10-18-2003, 07:40 PM
Dee: I want to be on the end of that path!!! You always have such lovely, bright colors in your paintings and this is no exception. Very, very nice.

Pampe: Why are you giving up on this - I really like what you've done with the tree in front. Don't give up, please!!!

Dawn: And look at all those lovely greens in the grass!!

Sundiver: As usual, smashing - unusual colors on the burgandy really works in this painting.

Hopefully, will get working on this tomorrow - should be a nice day to work on great project. :D

sundiver
10-18-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by dee_artist
. I notice you've made an implied straight line of the bottoms of the white trees, and the spaces between them and the darker tree in front are too regular
Deborah

Yes, I tend to line everything up like little soldiers without realizing it. I hate that.
OTOH, yours is quite gorgeous. It doesn't miss that tree one bit.

Thanks for the great advice , Dawn and Deborah!

Pam, would it help if I told you I removed the whole foreground with turps and started over? Don't give up! It's a fine start. But it was harder than I expected, too.

Crazyartist, dive right in! Nothing to lose but a piece of paper!

pampe
10-18-2003, 09:44 PM
ok *whine*

but how do I make leaves *whine*

and where the foregorund end

*whine*

*going for more wine*

sundiver
10-18-2003, 10:34 PM
LOL, Pam! Take a break on do the Drawing Event! It's been on for a few hours now, lots of fun, 16 participants so far.

Kathryn Wilson
10-18-2003, 11:27 PM
Dang, Sundiver, was this announced in the Pastel Forum - did I miss this somehow??

:confused:

sundiver
10-19-2003, 11:11 AM
Dang, Sundiver, was this announced in the Pastel Forum - did I miss this somehow??
:confused:

In fact I made so many announcements I was (gently) told I was spammimg!:D
It's not too late to participate- it's in the WC gallery.
Announcements will be mainly in Cafe Guerbois, but I'll mention it in Daily Scumbles, and it will be on the homepage announcements.

guilliame
10-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Ok here's mine a very quick oil pastel effort,may try another soft pastel later:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2003/6932-trees.gif

sundiver
10-20-2003, 12:53 PM
I had to wait till Monday at work to see all the colors correctly.

Nice quickie, Guilliame! One thing I noticed though is that the big tree, which has given most of us some grief, is smack in the middle and cuts the painting in half.

Pam, I like the blues in yours and the big tree looks great.

Dawn, your second version looks better than you think it does. It's lovely in fact.

.....ok, let's see more! This thread is turning into a real gem of information.

guilliame
10-20-2003, 01:49 PM
Sundiver,hee hee nearly done it again and smacked this soft pastel in the middle nearly but not quite,this was another quickie with soft pastel and done on a sheet of a4 white catridge paper from my printer,i have had the path on the left and on the right as i am wondering about the big expanse of green lawn on the right ,thats why my first one was too central as i cropped some off,i'm thinking i might foreshorten the path,just playing and scribbling here,i dont want to use a good sheet of canson till i'm happy so i'll have to do an arnie:D
I like the other posts that have been posted so far but will comment later as i'm wrapped up with something else at the moment,keep em coming:)

Kathryn Wilson
10-20-2003, 05:45 PM
About 30 minutes - not happy with the top half - got out of hand and lost the tooth of the paper - oh, well. I liked how the greens showed up on this rust colored paper, but it was not a good paper to work on.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2003/14941-fall-b.JPG

Craig Houghton
10-20-2003, 08:55 PM
Hey everyone. I havent had a chance to go through the thread yet. THere a ton of fantastic entries here -- I didn't even realize!

Here is my go at this. I didn't mess with the composition much, but I didn't think it needed it. I just played with the lights and darks.

Glad to see the thread here!

8x11 soft pastel on colourfix

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2003/21273-early_fall_path.JPG

Many thanks,
Craig

pampe
10-20-2003, 09:32 PM
Craig, what an interesting variation!!!
:clap:

rwhale
10-20-2003, 10:58 PM
Well, after looking at all of the great options, I thought I'd give it a shot tonight. This is a little over an hour. It still needs more (especially on the birch trees to the right). Oh well, a good challenge!

-Roger

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2003/9937-challenge.jpg

crazyartist2000
10-21-2003, 08:21 AM
okay....never done landscape much in any kind of medium let alone pastel...but here it is so far...I tried the marker brush thingie to colour the white paper first...yuck...but kept going so I could say I started.

All the paintings posted so far look GREAT!! It is neat to see everyones verson of the pic.

okay...enough said....now you can look!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!

sundiver
10-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
can you talk of how you went about the colours, how you applied them.... what you used

Sorry, Dawn, I forgot to answer this.
It's oil pastel, so I have to do it a little differently, because it's more difficult to put lights on top of darks.
I just abstractly blocked in the color and value areas, especially the lightest areas, first. The easiest way to see those is to posterise the picture with your graphics software, like this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2003/6393-6393-autumnpathwayposterised.jpg

I didn't actually do that (monitor at home is nbg), although I have done so in the past and was going to suggest it to crazyartist to do with her marker brushes.
For my really dark greens, etc I used burgundy and dark green together.
Then I was free to add details, shadows and highlights, warm up some spots and cool down others.
Does that make any sense? Hope so!
Oh yeah, I used every green in the box, practically, for the foreground, and it was dreadful. Wiped it off with turps and did it over with maybe 3 greens, most rather bluish, and some pink.

Crazy, note the posterised ref pic above- if you did something like that with your markers first you'd have all that white covered up and ready to take pastels. Don't stop now, pile it on! :)
More wonderful renditions from Kat, Craig, Roger and Guillaime (again :) )! It's fun to see the variations in style.

crazyartist2000
10-21-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by sundiver

Crazy, note the posterised ref pic above- if you did something like that with your markers first you'd have all that white covered up and ready to take pastels. Don't stop now, pile it on! :)

Hi...as you can see I started over from scratch..well the back of the one I did...that is why such deep indents in paper..but just practicing LOL.
Anyways...I laid out the pic using your posturized version...made the pic less complicated to look at...then I flipped back to the original pic that was given.

Oh ya!! Hope you are all happy. I have broken a little chunk off almost all my colours now...guess no turning back now LOL

Well that's it for now. Fingers to wash...hmmm....keyboard too by the looks of things...LOL...shouldnt do pastels and talk to brother on yahoo at the same time eh :p

crazyartist2000
10-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by pampe
OMIGAWD...this looked so pretty but was SO HARD

Only about a half hour, then I had to give up as I knew I had NO IDEA what I was doing

9 x 12 on blue Canson

I love this one!! So how much is this kind of paper?? is it normal pastel paper?? OOOOOOH I can't wait until I get my birthday money on Sunday!! Then I will have the correct paper and then my paintings might look better!!

E-J
10-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Crystal, I like the way you've accentuated the wavy-ness of the tree on the right ... this is pretty!

crazyartist2000
10-21-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Crystal, I like the way you've accentuated the wavy-ness of the tree on the right ... this is pretty!

Thanks EJ!! I think I am addicted to this pastel thing now. OMG...what will I do when I get the okay to return to work!!!

blissfullyunaware
10-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Okay... even though I'm in pain I had to try this... :D I'd like to do more on it but... when the arm heals a little more :p. This is a sheet of paper I got from the Dakota sampler Dawn recommended.... Great deal if anyone is interested. I think I like this paper it is ... crap can't understand the guys handwriting.. starts with and "R" and ends in a "ek" (have to look it up later). Rembrandt and Schminicke soft pastel ... 8 x 11. Any way... tada!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2003/6467-tics_002.jpg

Sharon

crazyartist2000
10-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by blissfullyunaware
Okay... even though I'm in pain I had to try this... :D I'd like to do more on it but... when the arm heals a little more :p. This is a sheet of paper I got from the Dakota sampler Dawn recommended.... Great deal if anyone is interested. I think I like this paper it is ... crap can't understand the guys handwriting.. starts with and "R" and ends in a "ek" (have to look it up later). Rembrandt and Schminicke soft pastel ... 8 x 11. Any way... tada!
Sharon

Beautiful work for being in pain Sharon. Don't forget to post again when your arm is better :clap:

pampe
10-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by crazyartist2000

I love this one!! So how much is this kind of paper?? is it normal pastel paper?? OOOOOOH I can't wait until I get my birthday money on Sunday!! Then I will have the correct paper and then my paintings might look better!!

Hi, Crystal...it;s just plain Canson MiTeintes paper...very cheap....in all colors

Mikki Petersen
10-23-2003, 12:07 PM
Dawn, what a lovely landscape you've done her. Has your signature soft touch. I like it a lot.

It has been quite informative to read the discussion here about how each person has decided to handle the composition. I feel like it would be cheating to do this one now after everyone has got the kinks worked out.

All these beautiful versions of this subject really go to the heart of what Greg had in mind when when he started the Riots...how do different artists approach the same subject.

Every one of these variations is quite lovely and unique.

guilliame
10-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Luvy,well done there is some good stuff in there.
Dee,like the colours in this and the shadows in the foreground,good version,
DS,nice one,i like your 1st one best tho:D
Sundiver,i like the 1st block in,as for the 2nd super painting:clap:
Pampe,keep going it;s just started to develop.
Craig,like this a lot,the colours really work :clap:
Blissful,hope your arm is better soon,nice foliage and pastel strokes in your painting like it:)
Roger,looking good keep my eye out for a progress pic.
Kyle,i hate that when you lose part of a painting,the pastel strokes in the bottom half were looking good.
Crazy,hope you get some canson paper soon,sundivers given you some good advice,well done.