PDA

View Full Version : Playing A 'Round'

UnknownArtist
11-17-2015, 02:50 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/11-17-2015/79610_Playing_A_Round_KenyaN.JPG

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Playing A 'Round'
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor & Pencil
Surface: Arches Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 14x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Finished, maybe? I have finally figured out what I enjoy doing most. Watercolor and graphite, shapes, circles and a few combinations of color. Trying now to determine if I can apply these things to a series. I may call it ** Playing A 'Round' ** series.

Is this an appealing type of art? Does it look finished? I may blend the graphite out further inside, on the top right circle. Does it flow or do your eyes get stuck? Is there too much free space? Is it marketable?

I know, so many questions. I'm just trying to find my way into the market end of art. Thanks for getting this far.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any input is welcome. What do you think?

SarahY
11-17-2015, 03:29 AM
Love it, this really appeals to me.

fedetony
11-17-2015, 07:33 AM
This is beautiful... well done :)

ysoria
11-17-2015, 10:46 AM
Very nice! I like the colors and the balance of the design. Your shading is amazing! It makes me feel like I'm peeping into another world through the small holes of an old rusty contraption that has lost some bits. I also think of keys.

Just a suggestion, I think that you could add another partial circle, a bigger one maybe in the background that encircles all three of the little ones. I just feel like I want to see more of the other world! ;)

It's different and perfect the way it is though! Great work! Thanks for sharing!

laf.art
11-17-2015, 02:48 PM
Very cool piece, beautifully balanced. You could show this in abs/con they'd love it

UnknownArtist
11-18-2015, 02:21 AM
SarahY and fedetony -- Thanks you both :) If you do not mind, I would like to know something about you that might give me an idea of my market.

ysoria -- Thank you for sharing the feeling and reaction! The viewers perspective. Love it! It is still on the easel and I will ponder the larger circle. If not in this one, there will be more of this type. It is different and that's what I wanted. Maybe more than you want to know haha but as I went back through my work I find circles a lot!

laf.art -- Cool, is that feeling you get when you see something you like and might want it on your wall :lol: Thanks Laf! I will have to xpost in abs/cons.

Thanks for your input! Made my day. :) work days are long and weekends are short :rolleyes:

fedetony
11-18-2015, 12:41 PM
Well, in my case I am just attracted normally to more realistic paintings. I like to be told a story, and also I'm not very used to abstract art. In this case, I find your painting interesting because I found the story in the little circular details, as also gives me good vibration feeling (as a rock song) with the shapes and colors. I like very much the organic touch from the droplets, it looks fluid and dynamic, so overall , I am just taking your art and getting a feel for it, I could not possibly criticize it.
About me: I'm an Engineer, very creative one, that enjoys art. I personally value a piece when I recognize it has an effort, an idea and thought. Throwing colors randomly and making some scratches and stains has conflict with my personal evaluation of a painting. Reason why I value abstracts as yours, and avoid talking about others ....
I hope this gives you an insight for your market...

UnknownArtist
11-19-2015, 12:26 PM
fedetony , Thank you so very much for taking the time! Your comments are very helpful. Taking it all in for future work. Sometimes I just need to know what someone else thinks. :) Hard to get past my own thoughts at times. I have turned the work upside down and made a few changes. Hope to get another photo this weekend.

Thanks again!!!
:wave:

UnknownArtist
11-21-2015, 05:53 PM
Hello Again,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Nov-2015/79610-Playing_A_Round__KenyaN.JPG

I added more shading and the lines. Call it Finished! CC welcome :)

Bodhi Peace
11-21-2015, 06:45 PM
It is a very nice piece. I tend to agree about the larger circle.
To bring in some color: tint one of those bottom two shapes (lightly, blue or brown?).
Great thing you did with the refraction.
But shouldnt we see the circle thru the foremost objects?
And the edge of the circle disappears in the opening of that left shape?
Same with the line of one building but not the other

UnknownArtist
11-21-2015, 08:33 PM
It is a very nice piece. I tend to agree about the larger circle.
I have been pondering the larger circle as well. Trying to feel my way through the idea. Ties it all together or closes it all in? Feels like the combined worlds are meant to be separate and walled from connecting completely with an added circle. At least, as it is now.
Pondering, still. Paintings evolve.

To bring in some color: tint one of those bottom two shapes (lightly, blue or brown?).
Great thing you did with the refraction.
But shouldnt we see the circle thru the foremost objects?

Ahh, the missing link! I was curious if anyone would notice that. :lol:
Well, logic says it should be there. And the edge of the circle disappears in the opening of that left shape?

Same with the line of one building but not the other I'm not sure what you are talking about here?

Thank You!!! :)

Bodhi Peace
11-21-2015, 08:43 PM
ah i see some things not clear
there is both the idea of whether the fore objects are transparent or opaque
and the downward line on the left goes down and disappears like the edge of the circle (I took the line as the edge of a skyscraper or cliff face)

but the topic of the large circle. my idea was that one of the existing circles would be about twice as large in diameter (best possibly that center one). three is a good number.

UnknownArtist
11-21-2015, 09:01 PM
ah i see some things not clear

I left it to chance and the illusion presented. I like that you saw more there than was planned.
there is both the idea of whether the fore objects are transparent or opaque
and the downward line on the left goes down and disappears like the edge of the circle (I took the line as the edge of a skyscraper or cliff face)

I like the idea of adding another circle that connects the scene. I look forward to the idea of a few larger scale pieces to follow this one.
but the topic of the large circle. my idea was that one of the existing circles would be about twice as large in diameter (best possibly that center one). three is a good number.
I appreciate the feedback. :)

Bodhi Peace
11-21-2015, 09:08 PM
I like this stuff.

You know, I thought of this painter. I saw her at an art show. You may like her.

Ora Tamir. Check out "Mindscape" in Gallery B or "inspiration" in Gallery A.

http://www.orasart.com/

UnknownArtist
11-21-2015, 09:29 PM
What a treat. I do like her and I will look through her work more. Thank you!