PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy mask and rubber gloves

Katie Black
11-12-2015, 12:39 PM
Hi, I would like to start painting with pastels again if possible, but I have a compromised immune system, and so I am going to need to wear a mask and rubber gloves (if I can bear it) I have MCS (Multiple Chemical sensitivity) and more recently have become seriously Sulfite intolerant. So I need some advice on what to purchase, and then I will give it a go, and see what happens...Thanks

DAK723
11-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Obviously this is something you should discuss with your doctor as to whether you need anything extra in terms of protection, but I would think any hardware store would have dust masks (I use those that are N95 standard) and that any hardware or grocery store that sells cleaning supplies would have rubber gloves.

Good luck to you,

Don

robertsloan2
11-13-2015, 12:35 AM
Dick Blick has the gloves, I just bought a box of 100 of them. They're great. Hardware stores should have a nice variety of masks and even safety goggles, to keep you from rubbing your eyes with gloved powdery fingers. That's rough having MCS, I have a friend who does and he can't even be around certain painting mediums or paintings done with them, especially oils.

Devonlass
11-13-2015, 08:48 AM
A pharmacy will usually have boxes of gloves also. It's generally better if you get a size at will be tight on your hand.

Katie Black
11-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Thanks, I did try to buy the gloves at the local pharmacy, but they never have the right size, ever. And the masks here don't fit :lol: they aren't good, but I will look at Dick Blick!
Rob, Yeah its hard, I can't be around people much nowadays, it is a problem, and if you ask people to refrain from coming into your home wearing "smellies" they forget, and then turn a bit stroppy when you have to point out that they are in fact wearing something! It is exhausting; I have a nose like a bloodhound, no joke.
Concerning goggles, good point, but I don't think I could wear goggles, all that stuff would be too restrictive, and frighten the dog! :D I am going to have to try not to touch my face, and if it doesn't work out, then I will just have to stick to painting with acrylics.

JPQ
12-24-2015, 01:50 AM
Think rubber gloveswith pastels are maybe problem what about vinyl cloves i mean reaction beetween pastel and gloves which can affer lightfastness,hue etc.ps. at least one book which tells how make handmade ones uses vinyl gloves.