PDA

View Full Version : Study: Rocks and Reflections

coulter
10-15-2003, 04:03 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-15-2003/6690_River_Rock_Reflections_b.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Study: Rocks and Reflections
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

TainQ2
10-15-2003, 05:07 PM
Very nice. I like it, I like it! Is that a turtle?

bocote
10-15-2003, 06:02 PM
hmm. I dont see the turtle.

no questions... without a question to be answered I'm always blanked on what to start saying first. Compositions looks great. rocks and reflections done very good. There is something poking me about the green plants in the work though; I think its the lack of contrast maybe, or perhaps the thin paint or washed digital picture.

darks in the water are deap and a good feeling of whats going on is there.

nice stuff.

giniaad
10-15-2003, 06:05 PM
the colors for rocks in this
are wonderful

the only one that looks out of place
(either for shape, placement and/or color)
is the one that I think Tain was thinking is a turtle
top and center...
(if it is like that...change it... ;) )

I know this is a study and not expected to be perfect
but if you were to use this for a piece
I would want (imho) to have the
refections of the rocks in the water
not to be sooo perfect
(ie washed out a bit at the tops of refections...
rippled out or something)
and the greenery
(especially the main ones in the right front)
to be a bit more emphisized

overall...really, really nice study!
(you must know I love rocks...)

Pilan
10-15-2003, 06:24 PM
I like this a lot. it reminds me of something i would run across in the woods walking. the rocks are fantastic. i have been studying rocks so this is a good example for me.

You did well for the reflections in the water too.

:)

Phranque
10-15-2003, 06:27 PM
Very pleasant to look at. I love the different tones in the rocks.

Helen Zapata
10-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Nice piece, Mark! I can see a lot of work in this. I like the colors and the comp and the deep, still shadiness of it all. I would mess up the water a touch in the rock reflections. But that's all. Cool!

Helen

woodguy
10-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Lot of hard and good work in this one, Mark! Maybe some bolder and darker darks? Jim

coulter
10-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Thank you Jose (TainQ2), it is a turtle if you see one. :) Intepret my paintings anyway you want. What I like is that you like it!!! B I don't always have specific questions, I know it's more difficult to know how to respond when someone just posts something and says "whaddya think?" but a lot of times people see things I wouldn't even thought of asking about. The plants are weak, I think I was overly worried about them assuming dominance. Ginia I think you are right, that d#@! rock just needs to be more rock like. I struggled with that one, now on your advice I'll paint it the way it should be not the way it is. It's a study because these are things I'm afraid of painting so I want to master them (well, how about just "not stink up the place :D ) Pilan thank you, this is the edge of some serious wilderness in northern Colorado :D Frank thank you for looking!!! Helen Yes one of the goal of this was to see if I could get those rocks all different LOL! It WAS tough!! I agree with you and Ginia about the reflections. Jim! thanks! I was thinking the same about the darks but again I worry about drawing attention to areas that are better left in the periphery.

Mark

TainQ2
10-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Here it is:clap: :clap: :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2003/8829-marksturtle.jpg

mcknight
10-15-2003, 10:31 PM
Well done. I like all the subtle colour variations on the rocks. It looks like you've spent a lot time in intense observation.

coulter
10-16-2003, 08:28 AM
Jose ROFL!!!!

Dave thank you, it is painted from a photo I took, and was maybe a medium amount of time and intensity and a deep affection for the subject (nature)

Mark

Rabbit Twilight
10-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Yes, the rocks are done very well. I think rocks are hard, mine always look like potatoes. I would like to see just a bit more contrast in some area.
Good muted color harmony!

nancyw
10-16-2003, 10:07 AM
I see the turtle. I like the dark palette, too. Good job. Nancy in FL:cat:

nancyw
10-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Please leave in the turtle. Nancy in FL

Wayne Gaudon
10-16-2003, 11:09 AM
that's a dolphin not a turtle .. :D

Mark .. detail upon detail .. well rendered especially the water.

mattlart
10-17-2003, 01:06 AM
Lol,....;
I'm not quite sure about the existence of the mythical turtle here Mark;..but I DO see some fine work,..well-thought-out color choices,..a touch of mystery,..and rich, interesting shadows..

I'm also noticing some "Coulterish" brushstrokes,..and paint handling that's recognizable as your own,....: gotta love that.
You are developing a "style" of landscape painting ,..Mark,..and that's tough to do!
Congratulations....:)

You've also carefully developed all of those rocks toward the bottom half of the painting. Quite a bit of work,..and I think,..done very well.
My impression is that the painting might be stronger with a less detailed handling of all those lower rocks.
I'm hesitating on suggesting this,..simply because they were much work!,..and done beautifully;..but a simpler, more suggestive foreground might emphasize your focal point ,..making the whole more powerful.
Or not... Either way,..bravo. -S

coulter
10-17-2003, 09:08 AM
Thanks Bobbi, I will make an attempt at more contrast when I address some of the other issues.

Nancy in FL, thank you, it's too cold in that water for a turtle LOL!

Wayne, while it's too cold for a turtle it's not too cold for the rare Rocky Mountain turtlewhale which unfortunatly beached itself here.... as I was painting this the thought came to me, too much detail for me....

Thanks Scott!! Yes it became a study and not a painting at the point where I decided, just how far can I take all these stupid rocks , right after the point above where I knew I got myself too deep into it LOL!

Mark

soap
10-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Beautiful subject matter. Nice quiet calm colours. Would like to see a bit more contrast to make my eye more excited about the adventure of pebbles and reflections.

pero lane
10-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Even with all it's very small problems already mentioned....it's a really nice peice of work and best of all no worries about including rocks and water reflections in a future peice! I will add this rare pic of the Rocky Mountain Turtlewhale to my collection of rare species:p !

coulter
10-17-2003, 01:42 PM
New version, sorry turtle/dolphin lovers :(

Thank you soap, how do you like the changes?
Thank you Pat!!

Mark

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2003/6690-rocks_and_reflections_2b.jpg

Helen Zapata
10-17-2003, 02:31 PM
I like the rippled reflections! :)

Helen

YLCIA
10-17-2003, 09:29 PM
Wonderful! especially new version with the slight ripples:)

Julia