GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: old ba<br>
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
i am trying to save this previously done in a class long time ago. I need to work on it and have brought it to the point you see now. however, any suggestions are greatly appreciated and also should i put a white birch tree up close on the right side to give it dimension?? or is it busy enough - which i think it might be.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
please comment on colour and etc. I am hoping to give it away to raise money for a small charity in the area. thanks

La_
11-06-2015, 11:18 AM
i honestly cannot tell for sure if this is an old, overgrown abandoned home
or if someone actually still lives here and they've planted their front yard with rows of various things.

if it's abandoned, it needs to be messier with the 'weed' heights/growth/edges
if it's lived in, it needs a path.

la

Robincat
11-06-2015, 12:07 PM
thanks never saw that.....will post when decision is made..have to ponder this one. your right though.

hward
11-06-2015, 07:36 PM
For criticisms, I'd say the house needs more texture. And something is wrong with the perspective in the lower left quadrant. And the green trees need more black (look at dense foliage in full daylight, it's 20-50% black from shadows).

For positives, I'd say you have a good soulfulness, for lack of a better word. I just feel like someone real painted that. Not a common trait.

Robincat
11-06-2015, 11:48 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Nov-2015/1171624-house_remake2.jpg

ok i think i have made the old barn older.....still do not know if its abandoned or using it...but added some black to the trees and tried to get more shadow. i also added
an old fence post in the front.

jessw
11-07-2015, 12:25 AM
The tree trunk in between the two yellow trees to the right of the barn is drawing too much attention for me. It is very light in value, and the area surrounding it is very dark in value, resulting in a high contrast and strong draw for the eye. I'm not sure if you intended this to be a dead tree, or if some of the red foliage is supposed to belong to it. I would move it farther into the background and darken it so it recedes.

You've done a nice job on this. Keep painting :)

La_
11-07-2015, 02:09 AM
'black', a better term is 'dark' because it's very rare that actual black is ever necessary in a natural scene because there are so very many ways to make darks that are not really black.
paynes grey is a soft grey with hints of blue (that mixes well with other colors)
red and green makes a delicious dark
purple and yellow makes a delicious dark
burnt umber and ultramarine blue makes a delicious warm black
all of these options work better than true black with nature unless you're painting a more contemporary style that demands more severity.
so, to your piece, you've got a bright sunshine day, a vast sky above, a cheery forest and a pleasantly old house, but the Adams family must be getting out of their hearse out front because you've got yourself a very gothic front yard/path now. I can think of no other reason why the sun wouldn't be involved in the foreground path.

la

Robincat
11-07-2015, 01:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2015/1171624-barn_redo_3.jpg

ok, I have done some shading without only using black as you suggested, actually makes quite a difference. tried some shading with the path and installed a front door. (guess someone is living there now! *wink). I toned down the red trees and did some touch up on the wooden gate.

Wassie
11-07-2015, 01:38 PM
I really like the final version.

La_
11-07-2015, 09:49 PM
bravo
one more wee suggestion for you ... it's fall, obviously, so there'd be little left growing in the garden, so simple for gentle balance of color, what if there was a hint of the green (like the roof green) scattered here and there in the foreground, just a bit, gently, a remnant of summer?
I see you have some green there so ponder the suggestion, it may not need it, digital image vs the reality can be quite different.
you could also bring a teeeeeeeny tiny bit of red, but be very cautious with it, it's so strong you wouldn't need much.
nice recovery all in all, good job

la

Robincat
11-08-2015, 06:48 AM
I will finish it off now, and i just wanted to thank everyone. This picture is going to a small hometown charity to raise money for the "Mentally Challenged" so I really appreciate all your input. I will always think of it as a group project. NOw to get it finished - sealed - and framed.

again thanks to all of you.

Robincat
12-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Thank you for all your comments, this picture raised $100.00 at a local fundraiser for the charity. 100% was donated. Again thank for all your comments.

La_
12-04-2015, 03:04 AM
another shining example on how art helps make the world a better place
good job

la