PDA

View Full Version : Monotypes using gelli plate

graphicali
11-03-2015, 05:17 AM
I thought that I would try doing some monotype prints using my gelli plate. It is an interesting process and it will take me a while to get familiar with it. At the moment I am sticking to simple!

These two are done using acrylic on watercolour paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2015/106950-IMG_3681.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2015/106950-IMG_3679.jpg

birdhs
11-03-2015, 08:55 AM
reminds me of Impressionism
very striking use of color and soft pattern
beeyooteefool!!

greggo

trufflecat
11-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Lovely effect you've managed here!

Katie Black
11-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Wow! these turned out great, really beautiful.

sueg
11-05-2015, 07:51 PM
I've experimented with a gelli plate also. It's not as easy as it appears. You managed to get some great color combinations. I've printed onto paper but I'm trying to print onto small canvases too. Have you attempted that?

corfublue
11-06-2015, 12:56 AM
I love your palette. It takes skill (intuitively or not) so play on a monochromatic palette and play up warms and cools . Well done.

drorn
11-06-2015, 02:28 AM
Nice !

graphicali
11-06-2015, 06:48 AM
Thank you Greggo, Susan and Katie!

Sueq, I haven't tried printing on canvas but I will be giving it a go.

Corfublue, thank you. I use layering of colours when I paint in acrylics, so I have a fairly good idea of what the results will be when I layer colour using the gelli plate. What I am still working on is the control, or lack of it, with the gelli prints.

Thank you drorn!

graphicali
11-06-2015, 07:38 AM
I should have asked Sueq, do you prepare your canvas in any way? I wondered if using loose canvas might be more manageable.

sueg
11-06-2015, 07:58 AM
I haven't tried loose canvas, but that's a thought. I've just used the canvas as I would a piece of paper and imprinted it. Sometimes I take the gelli plate and apply it to the canvas. If you only have an 8x10 plate it's best to use the same size canvas. A larger canvas would create a different effect. Another thing I've done was to take my paper prints and glue them as a collage onto a canvas. Then I would come back in and apply acrylic paint where needed. A gelli plate offers a lot of creativity.

graphicali
11-06-2015, 08:35 AM
That's what I was using mine for, printing collage material. This is a piece using gelli papers: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391429

It only recently occured to me to try a finished work using the plate. I had always thought monotypes a bit pointless - why not just paint onto the canvas? I realised though that there are some interesting marks that you can create with monotyping that aren't easily replicated with a brush.

Ohiohawk97
11-06-2015, 05:46 PM
Great use of color. I like the fist one the best because it reminds me of a landscape in the Carolina low country at sunset.

graphicali
11-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Thank you Ohiohawk. These are some of my favourite colours - just now anyway, until something else distracts me!

Gollator
11-08-2015, 02:55 PM
bookmarked this. will need to study more.

I never dared to do such large areas of non-representational color, clearly, I should.

graphicali
11-13-2015, 06:19 AM
Thanks Daniel. When I paint using brushes, knives or whatever I am always tempted to start getting detail in. The monotype printing process (for me at the moment) is much more conducive to simplification and I am finding it interesting.

I have dug out a lump of unstretched canvas that I shall try next. Mind you, we are working on trying to finish off my new studio, so there is not as much time for playing just now. I am so looking forward to getting a better space to work in. I work in a small, rather dark room just now and the new studio has much more natural light.