PDA

View Full Version : November 2015 oil Pastel Challenge

AllanWaiShingMak
11-02-2015, 01:51 AM
Hello , this is Allan Mak, the challenge will be opening to view on 2/3 . please come back later . l hope my choice of photos to everyone will be enjoyable.

AllanWaiShingMak
11-03-2015, 03:17 AM
Hello Oil Pastelists! 

Below are the reference images for Novemberís challenge.

Feel free to use them , they are my photos and have no copyright. You are also free to post works in progress if you need any help or advice.

Please tell us:
What support you used including any surface prep.
The finished size of your painting or sketch.
The brand of oil pastels used.
Whether you have used anything as an underpainting.

Other mediums may be used to complement, but the work must be primarily oil pastels. Oil sticks and oil bars may be used. Wax pastels are welcome too.

You have a month, but the thread will stay open so if you are unable to post by the end of the month you can do it later.

because the time zone is different so l may not come right to you immediately but l promise líll not abandon the thread. hong kong time is one hour less than Washington DC.

there are birds from Hong kong bird street
There're some HK butterflies
there are my friends best doggies Koota and Blackie
And the whole hong kong city skyline i took for this month challenge (only daytime is showing here)
Also these incredible scenery of Canada Banff Rocky Mountain aviation views

Enjoy! 

AllanWaiShingMak
11-03-2015, 03:23 AM
there're more photos

AllanWaiShingMak
11-03-2015, 03:33 AM
here is the Rocky mountain and the HK skyline

AllanWaiShingMak
11-03-2015, 03:37 AM
if you visit our Aberdeen Peak Tram Station , you also may see Bruce Lee Waxmodel.

OK folks , start your works .............

AllanWaiShingMak
11-03-2015, 03:48 AM
Bruce lee is only for painting challenge here, cannot be used elsewhere

tuscanny
11-03-2015, 05:13 AM
Wow! Lovely references! Thanks for hosting!

Pat Isaac
11-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Great!!!! Thanks for hosting.

Pat

AllanWaiShingMak
11-04-2015, 11:04 AM
just in case these could be interesting enough
l took the flower photos and my friend from Canada permitted me to use their photos

Thanks my fans

l hope you guys enjoy my photo rides

AllanWaiShingMak
11-04-2015, 11:08 AM
last one :wave:

Joanne_N
11-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Wonderful photos, Allan! :thumbsup:

Yannse
11-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Wonderful shoots, Allan!

AllanWaiShingMak
11-05-2015, 11:57 PM
Hello everyone

Sometimes finding or shooting some photos are hard . Thanks to new smartphone technology and easy to use operations, takes beautiful photos is lot easier .

Well i had started a dog portrait , show you guys later

Keep going and don't stop :angel:

tuscanny
11-07-2015, 01:58 AM
I changed the values of the background slightly to make the wolf stand out a bit more. 10x11 on Rolfes sketchpad using Reeves student grade and Pentel ops.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2015/1256189-wolf_ops_nov_10x11.jpg

AllanWaiShingMak
11-07-2015, 03:39 AM
Wow Tuscanny that's excellent ! Love the way you manipulated the bkgd to suit your subject , the wolf was standing out strongly, you also capture the wolf attention of preys in here . The fur is beautiful rendered , it was a lovely painting. I like your work ,the size and this project must be hard . You're so good :clap: :clap:

Pat Isaac
11-07-2015, 08:55 AM
Nicely done, Christel and the fur texture is great.

Pat

naglel
11-07-2015, 06:25 PM
So Many Great Refs, but the wolf really caught my eye! Tuscanny I love your wolf, really brought him out with the modified background and great texture in his fur. Wish I had that much stroke control, however Im a really wild artist! Loud and bold I guess....here is my wolf:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Nov-2015/1034772-img1851.jpg

Joanne_N
11-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Beautiful wolf Christel, lovely work on his fur. I like your background, it does what you intended, for sure.

Raini, I love the way you cropped the wolf reference, and I really like your wild child style! Totally suits the subject. Gorgeous colors, I like that you echoed his eye color in your background.

AllanWaiShingMak
11-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Nagalal wow , this' another way of approach , i like that coarse and fatty look, that way of expression now giving the wolf characters and personalities. Also like your way of crop , though was centred but it looks interesting and fun ! Well done! :clap: :rolleyes: :clap: :wave:

tuscanny
11-07-2015, 11:13 PM
Thanks Alan, Pat, Raini and Joanne!
Raini - cool 'wild' crop of the wolf. I like the use of blue in it. What size is it?

naglel
11-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Thanks Joanne, Allan and Tuscanny...the paper size is 9x11 Strathmore pastel paper.

Pat Isaac
11-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Nice crop, Raini and i like the energy...

Pat

HollyJ26
11-08-2015, 08:55 PM
These are both great wolves. Christel, yours has a kind of quiet majesty. I like the pensive look on the wolf's face. Raini, yours has more of all knowing expression. I especially like the way you use blue in the fur. I wouldn't want to happen across either of them on a hike in the woods!

AllanWaiShingMak
11-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Hi everyone ,
:angel: Wow i never see a wolf , are they bigger than German Shepard and stand with two feet higher than man ? :angel:

AllanWaiShingMak
11-09-2015, 01:55 AM
here is it , brown 9 x 12in Mi-Teintes paper. Pental & Sennelier white oil pastel:cat:

tuscanny
11-09-2015, 02:46 AM
Lovely dog portrait! I like your attention to detail. The eyes are great! The green patch works very well.

AllanWaiShingMak
11-09-2015, 03:40 AM
Truscanny you're so kind . Thanks your comments , pet portrait is a challenge , but it was rewarding after hard work. when l did this , l treated it as a portrait and used the co-ordination mark to define the facial features placement . if you put the snout , eyes, mouth & tongue and the furrows fur face correctly. your will get the likeness .but like here , some modifications had interest5ing effects. i like the fat wolf and his green eyes of no non-sense ! and of food

Allan

AllanWaiShingMak
11-09-2015, 11:39 AM
a lightly modified version

HollyJ26
11-09-2015, 12:05 PM
What a happy expression on your dog's face. Him I'd be happy to meet on a hike in the woods!

Here's my picture of the Rocky Mountains. I'm not sure they look too rocky, and I had intended to use a limited palette, but... I used Senneliers (grands and regular) and some Neopastels on 7"x9.5" Clairefontaine Pastelmat, which I just got and wanted to try.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2015/1975529-mountain_5.jpeg

C&C welcome.

tuscanny
11-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Alan - nice modification!
Holly - great going!The light snowy shadows are spot on. If you are aiming for realistic colors, then you should be aware of placing warm colors in the shade. The burnt ochre needs to be cooled down then with a cool blue.

AllanWaiShingMak
11-10-2015, 04:42 AM
Holly , you're doing good , I thought mountains was hard , but you did it well. The Rocky Mountain was rendered well , it surely looks the top of the mountain while the cloud were passing by slowly . The blue purple shade shaped the mountain deep valleys ,and the white and tint blue made pure snow ! You did very well ! Just keep up and you could do better and better ! Good try ! :clap: :wave:

AllanWaiShingMak
11-10-2015, 05:02 AM
Just want to let you know , sometimes i experienced internet delays, where wet canvas was not found or inaccessible at that moment . Just be patient , I'm still there. Just outside the doorstep ! Will be ready again when they let me in

HollyJ26
11-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words, Christel and Allan! And thanks for the advice about the warm colors in the shadows, Christel. I'm not too worried about realism (I like to work impressionistically), and I actually added the warm colors to the shadow because the painting, which is small, was a bit flat without them. In person, those tones don't stand out so much. If I did a larger version of this image, I would probably keep the colors in the shadows cool.

By the way, Allan, I greatly enjoy seeing your process. Thanks for posting each of your steps!

Pat Isaac
11-10-2015, 04:37 PM
You have certainly captured his personality, Allan....:thumbsup:

Great job with the rock texture Holly...

Pat

AllanWaiShingMak
11-16-2015, 05:37 AM
hi everyone , here is my butterfly painting A5 pastel paper just used Pental oil pastel only. i want a painterly look so the painting was not a realism pursuit . the form is most important here and then the colour to create a sense of depth. just5 have enough details to create the looks. leaves are left as patches of colour
l had red and orange underpaint . Red is the complementary colour of Green .green is going to look great once was done.

l'm a butterfly lover l pick up their dead body and spread their wings and made it into a boxed sample.

this ' a female Great Mormon butterfly its size likes your palm

tuscanny
11-16-2015, 05:46 AM
Really lovely work, Allan! How do you like the Pentels?

AllanWaiShingMak
11-16-2015, 06:02 AM
thanks Tuscanny, and everyone. i think they're the best softness and their 48 colour are just perfect for any kind of painting included plein-air . 48 colors is capable of making a beautiful painting and could be an ultimate traveler set. i palette Air.

Pat Isaac
11-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Nice work and so much energy and color in your strokes.

Pat

HollyJ26
11-16-2015, 10:24 AM
I like the painterly quality and the rich colors, and I like the way you've rendered the wings and treated the leaves. Really nice.

Mr. Nobody
11-17-2015, 03:22 AM
Great work everyone!!! :thumbsup:

I haven't tried oil pastels much, this was fun making a mess...:)

Gallery, Mungyo Oil Pastel's
Crayola Crayons
Blender stump
Strathmore 8" x 8" Bristol Smooth Paper 100 lb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2015/1962561-coyotey.jpg

tuscanny
11-17-2015, 04:58 AM
Great work Charles! The dark body gives him character.

AllanWaiShingMak
11-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Great work ! Though Charles you only used a limited palette , you had made a beautiful artwork.
Because the eyes of the wolf captured my attention
Firstly so I chosen her here . Well the wolf eyes
has magical power that she was sending messages to viewers- you're my prey tonight . And that were all challengers this month who had successfully captured the wolf intention . Great works everyone keep on

HollyJ26
11-17-2015, 01:47 PM
I like the limited palette, Charles, and I agree with Allan about the eyes. I also like the energetic way you've applied the oil pastels. Another great wolf!

Crabby2
11-17-2015, 05:29 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2015/1964357-IMG_20151117_140233.jpg
Senns and Holbeins on blue gray tiziano 8 x 10

THIS IS NOT FINISHED!! Need Help...I'm stuck...

I've just started the leaves. Don't want to go further cause I don't know if I want to keep them...planned on having them generally dull chartreuse and brown but don't know now.

What should I do with the bg? It's awfully busy looking.

What's wrong with the flowers? Is there enough contrast?

I tried and tried and could never figure out how to get the flower color right. But orchids can be so gaudy I figured this color would do.

I've had some tremendous help on here before so I'm asking again! I always seem to get stuck at this stage. My great ideas all seem to look horrible.

I'd greatly appreciate any comments, critiques, advice and nitpicking...thanks.

AllanWaiShingMak
11-17-2015, 10:33 PM
Hi Crabby2 :rolleyes: most people blurred the bkgd and you did it , you may consider to darken the right & left bkgd just like the photo. And I would not add any sunlight at this point , just let the ambient light light up everything now. And you may also consider to paint edge to edge that could make a better finish and professionally done. flower is your main theme and you should finish the leaves less attractive , use dull color such as olive green , khaki green on some bright leaves and then dark green , moss green , emerald green for leaves under shadow. Grass green or lime green will be as bright as the orchid and could cause confusion . Such color take the glory of your flower away too. Actually you are almost finished I won't do any thing for the bkgd but the leaves. You may crop your paper to a square and cover every white areas . Your painting will be super and nicely done after :clap:

AllanWaiShingMak
11-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Hay Crabby , my first look of your work is impressive , nice !

tuscanny
11-17-2015, 10:44 PM
Dianne - your flowers are gorgeous!:clap:
I like the addition of the leaves and think you should keep them. The background is a bit busy. I've played around a bit with your photo and have the following suggestions; make the outer petals of the big orchid slightly lighter and the background dark green. If you have problems with blending, use a little solvent.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Nov-2015/1256189-1964357-IMG_20151117_140233.jpg

AllanWaiShingMak
11-17-2015, 11:09 PM
That is also a nice suggestion too , thanks Tuscanny you,re so great here:clap:

ntl
11-18-2015, 09:29 AM
:angel: Wow i never see a wolf , are they bigger than German Shepard and stand with two feet higher than man ? :angel:

from http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/wolf/identify.html

Weight (adult)
Wolf 50-100 lbs.
Coyote 25-45 lbs.
Dog 5-150 lbs.

Shoulder height
Wolf 27-33"
Coyote 20-22"
Dog 10-32" (few are greater than 25")

Total length
Wolf 5-6 ft.
Coyote 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 ft.
Dog Highly variable.
My dog, a Belgian Sheepdog, ( http://bsca.info/ ) Miracle was 32Ē nape to tail bone: 32+ 24 (tail) about 16? head/neck so about 6', nose to end of tail. So Mira was about the size of a wolf...

AllanWaiShingMak
11-18-2015, 10:16 AM
thanks NTL

never know they're that big and as tall as human. and hardly can be friend

Mr. Nobody
11-19-2015, 01:34 AM
Thanks Christel, Holly and AllanWaiShingMak!!!

Diane, as is... I think your flowers look great!!!

Allan I have a Black German Shepherd, sometimes she looks like a wolf, almost same size too.... But she's all puppy dog and loyal friend.

tuscanny
11-20-2015, 02:25 AM
My take on the 2 parrots, A3. Quite challenging! C+c appreciated.:D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2015/1256189-ops_a3_nov_challenge_ops.jpg

Pat Isaac
11-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Nicely done, Christel. great feathers...

Pat

Crabby2
11-20-2015, 10:42 AM
Christel...I'm impressed. Love the colors. And the slight color differences between the two. I looked and looked at the ref. Cause I wAnted to try it but couldn't figure out how to start! I'm saving this for further study....some day I may get brave!

AllanWaiShingMak
11-20-2015, 11:17 AM
Wow christel your birds painting is gorgeous. I like your way you treated them . Sharp and hard edges of the foreground bird body brought the bird forward. The soft and unfocus rendered bird was push to the background . You're very good on manipulating and modifying objects to achieve the best composition . Excellent

:clap: good jobs

tuscanny
11-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Thanks Pat, Diane and Allan. Diane there's still time to paint.

Crabby2
11-20-2015, 01:21 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Nov-2015/1964357-IMG_20151120_101305.jpg
Should I do anything else? I have a hard time with edges...

Christel...I'm delaying the birds for now. I've been dreaming about
clouds. Purple and orange sunset clouds. I'm terrible at clouds, they look like a five-year old made them. WAHHHH! So I need to try again. And again, etc. But I tried before with colored pencils mainly, maybe OPs will do the trick. Gonna do a beach picture. Can't do water either...whee!

tuscanny
11-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Beautiful Diane! The background is well done and all in all everything harmonizes.
Show us when you've painted the beach scene.

HollyJ26
11-20-2015, 05:12 PM
Great parrots, Christel. I really like the play among all the greens, if that makes sense, and the composition is great.

Beautiful flowers, Diane. Very rich colors.

Crabby2
11-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks, Christel and Holly!! I'm. having so much fun making colors! Ill spend two or three days experimenting with colors before I start a pic. Never could get the exact color for the orchids...as in the ref photo.

My timing is perfect. I just got a full set of Neopastels for my Xmas present to myself. After being married almost 50 years he lets me buy my own gifts. I had a Blick $45 coupon and got two pads of CDA pastel paper free. So I figure it was a bargain I couldn't refuse. (And it was a lot cheaper than the Caran d Ache Treasure Chest of Color for 6500 USD.) 😇😇😇 I'm gonna have fun tomorrow!

AllanWaiShingMak
11-20-2015, 09:46 PM
Hi Crabby2 ,The flower painting is beautiful , there're lot of pink and red , you blended these colour perfectly ! The leaves and the bkgd considerably done ,the foreground and background are separated by contrast of color , you did very well ! It is a nice painting ! Wish to see you beach painting , be bravery! :smug:

Crabby2
11-20-2015, 10:08 PM
Allan...thank you for your compliments and your encouragement. I always seem to reach a stage in a painting when I can't tell if it looks good or not. I think I stare at it too long and lose my judgment. I'm so happy to have Wet Canvas folks around to advise me...and push me when needed.

Your photo challenges for this month are great. Thanks again.

AllanWaiShingMak
11-21-2015, 08:10 AM
Smartphone makes update easier , doesn't need a computer all time :clap: :evil:

HollyJ26
11-21-2015, 03:02 PM
What a great Christmas present to yourself, Diane! I started with a set of 24 Senneliers this past August and have added some grands, some regular size Senneliers, and about ten Neopastels, which I like a lot. But I always feel as if I need MORE colors. You're going to have lots of fun!

AllanWaiShingMak
11-22-2015, 05:48 AM
We re living with mungyo , pental , Sakura , Holbein . They're all sets selection, each color is not sold separately . We don't have Sennelier . Only the Caran Has sets and individuals for sale here in Hong Kong . Hard to medium soft pastels sell here only, absolutely no soft choice. :wink2:

HollyJ26
11-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Monet this is not, and this was a challenge! My try at the waterlilies. I started getting too fussy with the lilies themselves; oil pastels can be hard to manipulate, at least for me, and this was my first try painting flowers.

I used Senneliers and Neopastels on 9x12 Colourfix paper. C&C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2015/1975529-lilies_4.jpeg

tuscanny
11-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Beautiful work, Holly! I can see that you put in a lot of work. I really like the blue and red lilies. The only thing that I would like to mention is the top blue lily that pulls the viewer up and out of the painting

HollyJ26
11-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Thanks, Christel, and I see exactly what you mean about the top blue lily. I didn't notice that before. I'll have to think of a way to fix that. Hmmm....

HollyJ26
11-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Lilies take 2. Not sure if this fix helps, but now I'll have to wait for the oil pastels to set before fussing with it some more...and I should probably be doing laundry or some such...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2015/1975529-lilies_5.jpeg

Crabby2
11-22-2015, 08:16 PM
Holly...it's beautiful. Love the style. And your change to the top lily was exactly right. I think you can relax and Pat yourself on the back. Do the laundry tomorrow.

AllanWaiShingMak
11-22-2015, 09:29 PM
HollyWOW, fthat's excellent , next time you shall consider as next available hostess of this challenge . You're fast to finish too ! And you have great success on skill and technique, love the lilies color you done . I actually liked the first takes ! It has the best sence of depth ! Great work ! :clap: :clap:

tuscanny
11-22-2015, 10:50 PM
Great changes Holly!

HollyJ26
11-23-2015, 12:06 PM
Thanks Diane, Allan, and Christel! This was fun to do and challenging. I will consider being a hostess of the challenge, Allan, but I'm not sure what that entails. I'd be willing to learn.

Pat Isaac
11-23-2015, 12:09 PM
These are wonderful first flowers, Holly. I really like the impasto feel of the oil pastels and the energy in this painting.

Pat

hugashrimp
11-23-2015, 02:31 PM
thats really awesome holly- i love the water

HollyJ26
11-23-2015, 05:58 PM
Thanks, Pat and Kara! That's very encouraging. And I must say that this Colourfix paper (which I learned about here) takes a lot of layers.

AllanWaiShingMak
11-24-2015, 05:28 AM
Surprising enough you will notice that once you finish your work ,the other side of the paper was soaked of oil from pastels it is a proof of hard works:angel: :eek:

Allan

AllanWaiShingMak
11-27-2015, 10:47 AM
Wow ! happy thanksgiving everybody ! I wish you all have a joyful time and a big feast ! And no snow ! :clap: :clap: :wave:

HollyJ26
11-27-2015, 02:52 PM
Thanks, Allan! No snow where I am but a LOT of eating!

AllanWaiShingMak
11-29-2015, 09:56 PM
Hi EVERyone thank you for participated in this month challenge .without you it could not be successful . this is my last post of this month challenge Doggie again

Wish you an happy holiday of 2015 xmas

AllanWaiShingMak
11-29-2015, 10:00 PM
hello

AllanWaiShingMak
11-29-2015, 10:07 PM
It's size is A4 gray mi -teintes paper , use pental oil pastels:cat: :clap: :clap:

tuscanny
11-29-2015, 10:58 PM
Beautiful dog portrait, Allan! Is it possible to lighten the highlight in the eyes still more?

Pat Isaac
11-30-2015, 08:41 AM
It is a great dog and I agree about highlighting the eyes some more.
Thanks for hosting this month,

Pat

AllanWaiShingMak
11-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Hi everyone thanks for your comments Pat and Tuscanny and Holly , will add a bit more on her eyes later ! I started cowardly but I get into the spirit of this challenge , then after all it was not fearsome but enjoyable . Thanks

Don't stop get oily and waxy on your project or next coming challenge :cat: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

HollyJ26
11-30-2015, 10:33 PM
That's a great painting, Allan. I especially like the energetic strokes, the hint of background, and the little dog's earnest expression. Thanks for hosting this month!

AllanWaiShingMak
12-01-2015, 06:39 AM
Hi thanks everyone your visit to the studio even just drop in to look is welcome. I used the gray paper just as underpaint and half tone effect . The black dog is a good exercise of hard and soft edges practise . Treat every strands of hair as buff of black smoke, restraint yourself not to draw hairs all time . Hairs only drew when you want highlight and reflection. Parts of the black dog torso ,ears and legs are drew like black smoke , there're no define of their surface flowing . I had drew fur once like carpet when I overdone it .

happy painting everyone :clap: :clap: :clap: