PDA

View Full Version : Another Street Scene

woodguy
10-15-2003, 03:02 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-15-2003/5058_afternoonstreet.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Another Street Scene
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14 x 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Have been working on a 24 x 32 "interior" and got frustrated after having to wipe it off! I picked up this canvas and did a "quickie," about 2 hours.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Do not know if it is done. Comments? Thanks, Jim

Rabbit Twilight
10-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Looks done to me. I like the somber feel, and the way the buildings lean in just a bit.

dornberg
10-15-2003, 10:14 AM
quiet

Helen Zapata
10-15-2003, 10:44 AM
Very nice, Jim! I'd call it done. You have a peaceful, quiet feeling. The light is wonderful (as always) and I love the colors and composition. I see a growing finesse in your brushwork. A level of perfection that draws me as much as your interiors do!

Is the big one the table painting? Are you still working on that, or did I miss the finish?

Helen

giniaad
10-15-2003, 11:26 AM
wonderful!
the simplicity of this speaks volumes

you could call it done
or you could straighten the line
of the building on our right (to the narrower aspect)
(but that would involve moving the top window over)
maybe don't mess...keep in mind for next...

you could take out the "flat" person on the walk
in front of that building.(imho)

the distancing of the building in the back
accented by the bright sky
is delicious
then that light is echoed coming around the courner
and the light captured in the window
of the shaded building front...
the darks and lights are so well balanced and painted in just he right hue...
a huge WOW on impact...LOVE IT!

Andrew
10-15-2003, 11:26 AM
It has a dark and quiet feel about it. The perspective is very good.

One thing (IMO) would improve it. That would be to dramatize the lighting. By using a street lamp to shape the light or by adding an extra value or two to make the lit area jump out to the viewer.

Andrew

Wes Hyde
10-15-2003, 12:33 PM
Jim, another beautiful painting. One thing I'd suggest would be to put a thin muted yellow/orange glaze on the buildings to the right to strengthen and warm up the light.

Wes

coulter
10-15-2003, 04:07 PM
Excellent Jim! The way you've done the light in this one is just stunning!!

Mark

bocote
10-15-2003, 06:06 PM
looks done to me. you have enough great street scenes to make one heck of a nice city; everyone would want to live there and you'd have to paint lots of people milling around your streets.

hehe. Good solid feeling of light direction and whats going on here in the composition. Perspective a little off as intended I bet and its great. Love the well mixed colors and no holds barred dark areas.

woodguy
10-15-2003, 07:04 PM
Bobbi and Dornberg, thanks for looking and your comments.

Thanks, Helen! I appreciate your kind comments. Yes and no to your question about the unfinished painting. The one recently posted as a WIP is finished....but the new one that I am working on is another "table" painting. It is really in limbo at the moment.

Thanks, Giniaad! I had not noticed the "flat" person until you pointed it out! It is really not so distracting in the original. But the "bulge" at the top of the right building definately needs some work. Thank you for your kind words and comments.

Thanks, Andrew! I think your suggestion about breaking up the "light" area is good! I will tinker a bit.

Thanks, Wes! Ah, and another good suggestion. Oh, and congrats on the sales at the Santa Fe show!!

Thanks, Mark! The light keeps pulling me into these street scenes.

Thanks, Bryan! Yeah, I would like to live in that city. All of thses "street scenes" are made up....so I guess that I should make up a fictitious name for the city! In fact you can see all of these buildings on one page:

http://larimerart.wetcanvas.com

Thanks again to all for looking and commenting, Jim