PDA

View Full Version : the mangled fly

corfublue
10-28-2015, 05:46 PM
when you make a fly that catches a hundred fish.

I know with abstracts its good to put most of your shapes at the top of the canvas. abstract is new to me and im struggling with that. its counter intuitive to what I have been doing for ten years. im inching my way up there. next time I will exaggerate my space. but im excited about the paint application though.
I might add more whites mid top. but for now, or today im done with this one and on to another. I had been struggling with this one for a few days.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2015/58344-mangled_fly.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2015/58344-mangled_fly_studio_shot.jpg

birdhs
10-28-2015, 06:11 PM
I know with abstracts its good to put most of your shapes at the top of the canvas
reallY ??

I must been playing in mud outside the day that rule was issued
never heard of it.

having said that:
your instincts for composition seem spot on
the colors and patterns hooked me..
(sorry jes couldn't resist the punopportunity)

really liking this

greggo

corfublue
10-28-2015, 06:20 PM
I am motivated by matisse and deibenkorn. (deibenkorn who took from matisse) that was their ideologies for composition. just getting through a huge deibenkorn book. its helping me focus.

it kind of makes sense because when you look at realism, we are used to horizons or cityscapes or whatever that has most of the shapes lower.
helps bend the brain.
thank you greggo. im more excited about the one I am working on now... everytime it makes more and more sense. I just have to accept the process and let each painting exist for what it is. :)

birdhs
10-28-2015, 11:05 PM
My instructor loved Dieberkorn, me: I like some of his work.

I admit I have never studied him much, but now you have captured my interest.
Do you mind sharing the ISBN, name and author of the book?
Perhaps I will add it to my winter reading

thanx

greggo

corfublue
10-28-2015, 11:47 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2015/58344-image.jpg

This is he best one. I got mine on Amazon. Got Ten books for my fortieth.
It's interesting because the design elements are clear and he seemlessly switched back and forth to representational and non representational. Totally confusing critics .
I'm sure you will like it. First part is his history. Good stuff comes after.
Another good one is colour is light . The teachings of Hanse Hoffman.
Hope that helps.
:)

birdhs
10-29-2015, 01:30 AM
I did look up D on Google and read some interesting articles. I see where some of his inspiration came from Matisse. And I picked up on the high location of the shapes now. Very helpful.

I sure could use the author and ISBN number for that book. Hard to order from a phot.....

corfublue
10-29-2015, 01:59 AM
Ya for sure. Tomorrow. Got slammed with a cold.

graphicali
10-29-2015, 03:48 AM
You have some lovely neutral colours in this to offset the hot colours, nice work.
I hope that you get well soon. Keep painting, it makes everything better!

Bevahlee
10-29-2015, 08:02 AM
You have some beautiful passages going on. You have this circle theme that is playing across the bottom, winding it's way up thru the red shape then trailing off to upper right. Those two in the middle of the red shape are grabbing my eye because they are so aggressive and I'm wishing they were very subdued but playing their way up thru there too. I love that white at the bottom but it is pretty much isolated there and might play up where all of that blue is

corfublue
10-29-2015, 12:06 PM
. Those two in the middle of the red shape are grabbing my eye because they are so aggressive and I'm wishing they were very subdued but playing their way up thru there too. I love that white at the bottom but it is pretty much isolated there and might play up where all of that blue is
Yes yes! That was exactly the thing I was looking to do. Bring some of that white up a tad. The other day I pushed it in my studio and should have stopped an hour earlier. I really did not want to do that yesterday. But that still bothers me too. Like I would like some of that white to sparkle a bit up top.
Gonna head to the studio but I might do a uturn as my head is pounding from this cold. :(

Graphicali, I am working really hard on my Putty colours. Trying to make sure I have six of them mixed in larger quantities ready to go. I am attracted to bold colours but they can stress me out. They are becoming imperative these putty colours ;)

Hairy wolf
10-29-2015, 12:30 PM
With or without minor adjustments, this is dynamic, strong and very well done!

corfublue
10-29-2015, 01:13 PM
I did look up D on Google and read some interesting articles. I see where some of his inspiration came from Matisse. And I picked up on the high location of the shapes now. Very helpful.

I sure could use the author and ISBN number for that book. Hard to order from a phot.....

0-520-21257-6
whitney museum of American art

birdhs
10-29-2015, 01:23 PM
Thank you so much!