PDA

View Full Version : Mr Lama

Manuel Gardina
10-26-2015, 12:37 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-26-2015/1976797_Manuel_Gardina_-_Aurelio_Lama_serie.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-26-2015/1976797_Manuel_Gardina_-_Aurelio_Lama_4.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Mr Lama
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 70x70
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a portrait of Mr. Lama, a family friend. This piece needs to be hanged in a bright hall which will become a recreative center dedicated to him.
It was meant to be a quite dark painting. I suddenly decided to take the upper hand on the dark and make a yellow background.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I tought the painting was sad and unconvincing, in need of something to pop him out.
Now i wonder it that was a wise choice. I still like it, i am just unsure if that's the best option.
Feel free to critique everything and thank you so much for your attention!

La_
10-26-2015, 01:32 PM
nicely done on the portrait itself

i prefer the third small image shown, with the dark brown background - because it gives the most contrast with the hat.

the yellow adds excitement, movement, but does it match his personality at all?

what would mr. lama say?

la

Dana Design
10-26-2015, 01:47 PM
I like the yellow background. It gives a great energy to the work and a bit of abstraction is always a good thing. Yay!

Andrewcody
10-26-2015, 05:44 PM
The portrait itself looks great.
No idea if it looks like him of course.
I am not sure about the yellow background, it looks haphazard rather than hint at any sort of abstraction, but it does add a certain vibrancy to the work. I do like it.
The hat is a triumph, glasses very well done, flesh tones wonderful.
Regards
Andrew

jessw
10-26-2015, 06:49 PM
I noticed that the lenses on his glasses are not the same size. The one in front of his left eye is considerably larger.

The nose appears quite small, but this may just be me.

The overall look/mood of the painting changes quite drastically with the change in background color. The yellow gives it a more quirky, eccentric look. Just depends what you are going for I suppose.

Andrewcody
10-26-2015, 08:44 PM
I noticed that the lenses on his glasses are not the same size. The one in front of his left eye is considerably larger.

The nose appears quite small, but this may just be me.

The overall look/mood of the painting changes quite drastically with the change in background color. The yellow gives it a more quirky, eccentric look. Just depends what you are going for I suppose.

Wow you are right I didn't even register the size difference in the lenses.

greensyster
10-30-2015, 12:35 AM
Without any photo of this happy chappy it is hard to say definitely but in your painting his eyes and ears are parallel and his nostrils and mouth are parallel but (always the BUT) the mouth isn't parallel to the eyes. Just a few tweaks could fix and along with the matching lenses, it would be a great natural portrait - not overdone or overworked. I rather like the smushy yellow as somehow it gives me a sense that the artist knew the man.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2015/135872-1976797_Manuel_Gardina_-_Aurelio_Lama_4.jpg