PDA

View Full Version : study of Caravaggio's "Bacchus"

mcknight
10-15-2003, 12:27 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-14-2003/1277_caravaggio-bacchus.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: study of Caravaggio's "Bacchus"
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 8X10 or something
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I did a study of part of Caravaggio's painting, "Bacchus". I didn't spend too long on this - 2 hours yesterday and an hour today.

I know there's a bunch of problems. The most obvious is the crammed in arm. I lost some of the more subtle tones in the photo. I took it from an angle to reduce the glare but my screwing didn't go too well so this image is a bit distorted even from the painting.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything?

Dana Design
10-15-2003, 01:29 AM
Dave, a beautiful rendering. Very nice. I agree with you about the arm, however. It looks as tho' the upper part of the bicep needs some filling out. And the dark area at the lower right doesn't read to me.

Colors are luscious and warm! Beautiful face with lots of expression.

You really do beautiful work!

bocote
10-15-2003, 01:46 AM
painting is looking great. If I were within yelling distance of ya I'd yell at you to paint on canvas or something a little more durable. People are going to want to see these in a couple hundred years :)

Rabbit Twilight
10-15-2003, 09:03 AM
Good job.
I love painting oil on paper, and from what I've read....if you treat the surface first the painting should last as long as oil on any surface.

giniaad
10-15-2003, 11:38 AM
all I have to say is that I am watching and enjoying...
(beautiful head-dress!!)

pero lane
10-15-2003, 12:23 PM
The already mentioned arm is the only distraction in this peice...everything else is excellant work!

mcknight
10-15-2003, 01:22 PM
Dana - Thanks a lot, Dana. I actually wasn't going to have enough room on the paper to fit the arm (and I wanted to do it) so I made a bad decision to squeeze it onto the page.

Bryan - I like working on the canvas paper because the setup is easy and I don't feel like I'm wasting anything. I also like how there's no bounce. Maybe I should try painting on a board? I'm loving your ego food.

Rabbit Twilight - How do you treat the surface? You mean before or after painting? This is canvas paper, as opposed to regular paper, so maybe it's not so bad.

Gini - I'm glad you're enyoing. I wasn't even going to do much with head-dress...in fact I didn't really - I just very loosely through some colour and dots in there and I'm actually surprised by the result.

pero lane - thanks.

Rabbit Twilight
10-15-2003, 01:38 PM
I don't know anything about the canvas paper. Hum.....I'm assuming it may already be treated with something. I like to work on printmaking paper, sanded pastel paper, and heavy watercolor paper. The old masters sealed it with rabbit skin glue. Since I don't want to use that, I use acrylic gesso. I do make an effort to use archival paper.

Gilberte
10-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Is the nipple in the right place ?

mcknight
10-15-2003, 10:21 PM
Gilberte - relative to the arm and the torso, the nipple is in the right place. It probably looks off because of my cramming in of the arm.

Rabbit - There's a couple types of canvas paper I work on, both for use of oil and acrylics.

This study was done on the one made by Canson. It's my favorite of the papers - it's rigid like cardboard and it has a very fine texture. This company claims that their papers are long lasting and have been used by the greats like Matisse, Picasso, Delacroix and Van Gogh.

The other one is Fredrix "Medium Texture Real Artist Canvas". These are actually sheets of primed canvas...and I've been calling them paper?...well, I guess they aren't paper. A few weeks ago I did another Caravaggio study on this stuff. When it was too late, I realized I had been painting on the unprimed side. I've posted that study here:

giniaad
10-15-2003, 11:14 PM
glad I stopped back in...this study is fabulous!
you sure are pumping them out!

Rieko
10-16-2003, 02:48 AM
Excellent studies. You are really humming! I always enjoy looking at your paintings, though I'm shy to comment sometimes.

I got Canson's canvas papers, too for trying oil pastels. Seem sturdy and nice, though I haven't used one yet.

Rabbit Twilight
10-16-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks for letting me know about the paper Dave. I'll have to try it sometime. Also, like the second study.

Wayne Gaudon
10-16-2003, 11:12 AM
I don't know the painting but I like the colors and agree to the arm being out of context.

mcknight
10-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Gini - thanks for looking again!

Rieko - Thanks. I've only used them for oils but I'm very happy with them.

Rabbit - It's worth a shot. They come in sheets of 10 or something and they're relatively inexpensive. Thanks.

Wayne - Thansk for your comments. I can't fix the arm but I like hearing the crits.