GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Church
Year Created:
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 9 x 12 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
hi everyone, I am trying to lea<br> watercolour painting and would like have your comments on this painting which i have painted.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would love to be criticised thoroughly with notes to improve my work in future.

TerryCurley
10-26-2015, 08:52 AM
I love the deep colors. You don't see many watercolor paintings with such deep rich colors. It's a good painting. In my opinion it's very good composition.

The only thing I see that seems a little off to me is the slant of the roof. I understand that for linear perspective it needs to be slanted down a bit, but my eyes are telling me that this slant is overdone, and I'm not understanding the little notch on the bottom of the roof at the front of the church . But I'm still a novice so it's possible I'm wrong about that.

ash2780
10-26-2015, 12:25 PM
Thanks a lot TerryCurley for looking at my post, i also agree on your comments about the roof, I will improve on my drawing in future. Thanks a lot

Mark Szymanski
10-27-2015, 07:22 PM
This painting has a lot of charm on its own, the colors are bright with echoing color around the painting. The color of the sky is echoed in the skirt, the red of her top is echoed in the flowers. His shirt has some of the road within it. The palm tree sweeps upward towards the steeple, giving uplift in this area. The vertical lines are nice and vertical which is also echoed in the upright trees in front of the church. The placement of the people breaks the long line of the road into unequal masses which is a nice touch.

If you're going for a bit more realistic painting, then there are a couple of issues...

One, you've 'taken too much perspective'... the vanishing on the right is too close to the object, if you would have placed it a bit farther out, then some of the angles wouldn't be quite so acute or sharp. Regardless of that, not all of the angles which should align are agreeing on a vanishing point.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2015/1765836-churchy1.jpg

In the above, all the lines of the same color should agree on a vanishing point on the horizon. They don't, but if that is your intention, then okay.

IF you were trying to place the painting close to perspective, then the outlines would look something like what I did below.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2015/1765836-churchperspective.jpg

A couple of points to notice...
All of the lines which are along one wall will end at one vanishing point, all of the lines on the other wall will end at the other vanishing point. On the right hand wall of the church, the bottom of the wall the top of the wall, the lower edge of the roof (eave) and the ridge of the roof will all travel to the exact same point which is located on the horizon. Notice anything below the horizon travels at an upward angle to the vanishing point, and anything above the horizon travels downward towards the vanishing point. All these lines travel to the same point on the horizon. Because the vanishing point is so close to the edge of the building you have to drop the angle pretty steeply... the farther the point is located above or below the horizon, the steeper you must draw the angle to meet the vanishing point. The closer a point is to the horizon the flatter the angle.

(the purple dot is the vanishing point of the road... this vanishing point is on the horizon, but has nothing to do with the vanishing points which are used by the church.)

Next thing to notice is something a great many folks don't notice, they just know something isn't right with the drawing. When one draws a roof it should be remembered that it angles towards a point located above the vanishing point. For example below...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2015/1765836-churchpvanishing.jpg

Notice the dark red vanishing point is located directly above the vanishing point which is located on the horizon. The front and back of the roof angle at different angles so if the lines are extended, they converge on a point in space and that point is located above the vanishing point on the horizon. It isn't located at any other place, unless it's some weird roof line, like a hip roof, mansard roof, or something... if it is this typical triangular roof though, it does meet at a point in space above the vanishing point.

As I said above notice the front and back of the roof have a different angle to them. The front roof is a bit more vertical, the back edge of the roof is just a bit flatter. Mixing up the angles makes the roof look weird. There isn't a large difference in angles, but it is a noticeable thing to be translated into your drawing or painting.

To locate the center point where the peak of the roof is located on a wall, then you draw an "X" from corner to corner and then draw a vertical line through the center of the X. This point is the mid point of the wall in perspective, if you look closely, you'll see the right hand side of the the X is bigger than the left hand side of the X.

Maybe you knew all this stuff already and were just making an artistic statement, if so, I apologize for going on so.

TerryCurley
10-28-2015, 09:52 AM
I just want to say Mark that I read all your critique posts and learn so much from you.

Mark Szymanski
10-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the kind words TerryCurley. I think I have a tendency to pack too much into a critique.

kin3
10-29-2015, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the kind words TerryCurley. I think I have a tendency to pack too much into a critique.

no, no, keep them coming. I to am learning a lot.

greensyster
10-29-2015, 10:15 PM
What top critiques you have received! I also just have one small observation. When I looked at your painting my first thought was that the artist had atmosphere in the work altho the figures appear stilted. That last part is easy to fix with practise but the first part is 'yours' to own and develop so that people will know it is one of your paintings regardless of the subject matter.

ash2780
10-30-2015, 12:55 PM
Thanks Mark for so critically analysing my painting. It was very nice of you to explain perspective in such depth. i will definitely improve on my perspective in future. hope you will continue to guide me always in same way, Thanks a lot.

ash2780
10-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks Greensyster, i am happy that you liked my work.