PDA

View Full Version : watercolor & nib/ink

rapolina
06-23-2000, 07:59 AM
i sometimes use the pen&nib charged with watercolor wash to define thin particulars on my painting, such as fur of animals, or to outline the subjects at the end. I usually use tone-on-tone color.
I've heard about a technique that uses ink plus watercolor: did anyone tried that?

I like to find new way to use my watercolors!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif ciao, rapolina

cagathoc
06-23-2000, 08:20 AM
Rapolina,

That is really a cool idea! I will have to try this also. Thanks!

C~

Lynda Mortensen
06-23-2000, 02:42 PM
I occasionally do this too, and you can also charge the nib with masking fluid (frisket) for those tiny white highlights - easy to clean too, just peel off the dried fluid.

Cassandra77
07-02-2000, 12:31 AM
The only ink plus watercolor technique I can think of is where you lightly draw the picture in graphite, paint in watercolor, let dry, then redraw with nib & ink or good drawing pen of the sort you'd use for pen & ink work (sharpie works well), essentially layering a pen & ink drawing over the watercolor. Pretty simple, and it gives a somewhat more dramatic look than watercolor alone.

Is this the technique you were referring to? If not, I'd love to find out what you meant, so I'll have something new to practice, along with the negative watercolor technique that was discussed in another topic. http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/wink.gif

Cassandra

------------------
Temet nosce.

jnet11
07-02-2000, 01:51 AM
man you all need to see my website if you have not been there already (sorry for the shameless plug) but seriously ... almost every wc painting I have is a variation on ink over watercolor. Sharpie, quill, brush, cellophane, Berol Prismacolors, crayolas! And India Inks from start to finish, nothing compares to their luminance and vividness!
I even mix india inks inot my acrylics on a regular basis ...
Check it out ...
jeanette*

------------------
Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.

rapolina
07-03-2000, 04:58 AM
Hi Cassandra77,
My post was relating to the use oif ink&nib, and actually I didmn't explain well what I do, as i was asking what YOU do.

When I use the nib, I charge it not with ink but with watercolor, in order to make tone on tone borders or details. It gives nice results in flowers, for pistils and petals, and i use it also in defining the fur of animals, I did a hedgehog that is one of my best painting (i think)with all the stings in different brown drawn with the nib, on a smooth background of the body wet-on-wet.

If use staining watercolors with nib it can be as indelible ink, and next washes don't change it, while using non-staining colors it wah out whe re-wet (in this case it is better to use nib as last thing).

I think this is interesting, don't give strong contrast, while I never tried with ink, and don't know how to work with it.
thank you for yourr suggestions (to all).
http://www.wetcanvas.com/ubb/smile.gif ciao, rapolina.

ameliajordan
07-03-2000, 10:41 AM
For the past 2 days aquanet has been discussing using ink with watercolor. Some mix them together but with warning that it no longer will be transparent watercolor. Many brands but one is watercolor based. Since I'm not trying technique, I don't remember more.

I really want to get pen & nib for masking but don't know exactly what you mean. Is this something carried at cheap joes? Is there a size or brand name I should look for? Thanks