PDA

View Full Version : Pastel 100 competition info

nonamac
10-14-2003, 09:40 PM
The Pastel Journal is offering their 5th Annual competition.
The Pastel Journal (http://www.pasteljournal.com/pastel100.htm)

I am no pastel artist (can't make the dang stuff STICK to the paper!! :rolleyes: ) but I receive a lot of art info and thought I'd pass it along. Hope that's ok?
macky :cat:

CarlyHardy
10-14-2003, 10:51 PM
Thanks Macky! If anyone is entering, let us know!
carly

Luvy
10-14-2003, 11:13 PM
Do I dare even try? I do have two pastel slides ready from the last competetion in town I tried for but wasn't accepted. I have slides for these paintings just sitting here doing nothing and are blank so I can put all the info on the slide needed. *S* Anyone have an idea what to use to write on these with? I used pen and that smeared last time :(

http://www.cathylee.net/files/chick.jpg

http://www.cathylee.net/files/leissr.jpg

These are the two painting I have on slides. And they are very good photos of the painting.
should I go for it? Daughter's painting won 3rd and an honorable mention Maybe I'll get lucky again *S* And what should I call the painting? I just called it girl with smirk.

Alan Cross
10-15-2003, 02:15 AM
Well I am not ready for that.....good luck to anyone that enters...
Alan :)

Eugene Veszely
10-15-2003, 02:29 AM
I really should try this pastel thing....:)

jackiesimmonds
10-15-2003, 05:59 AM
Luvy, Use a WATERPROOF thin-line marker pen to write on plastic, something that says it is "permanent". I use Staedtler LUMOCOLOR. fine nib, permanent pens, they are fine.

Nothing entered, nothing gained. What have you got to lose?

J

bnoonan
10-15-2003, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the reminder!!!!

Barb

blissfullyunaware
10-15-2003, 12:55 PM
How do you get a slide when you use a digital camera.... ? help!

:D.... too many questions.... just tell me when to shut up :D

Sharon

Luvy
10-15-2003, 07:10 PM
Bliss When I entered some work in a recent exibition, Someone at WC told me to go to http://www.slides.com I had to have them quick because I learned about the competetion late. They did a great job for me and they were quick. I took some good photos with my digital and you upload them at this site. It was easy.

Jackie thanks I'll try to find a marker I've never heard of what you are talking about. My mother just gave me one today when I went to visit her. Going to try it on my old slides that were rejected LOL Can't hurt right? Just tried this one. It works. Guess I'll enter it. Need a red pen for a dot for the front. HMMMM Lipstick? ROFLMBO= Jackie that means rolling on floor laughing my butt off. More chatanese *S*

CBruce
10-15-2003, 07:33 PM
Does anyone know what you could use to cover up writing on a slide so you can submit it to another exhibit? I've heard they don't even look at those that aren't labelled perfectly. I've also started naming pieces with shorter names so I can get them on the slide (lol). Each competition requires a different format and the red dot moves. I hate wasting a slide.

blissfullyunaware
10-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Luvy.... Thanks so much! your a doll! :D

Sharon

Luvy
10-15-2003, 08:52 PM
CBruch wonder if whiteout would work? Not the liquid but the roll on kind like a tape stuff. Know what I mean? I'll try it I have some handy

Hey It works *S* And then you can write over it too *S*

CBruce
10-16-2003, 01:02 AM
I was afraid it would gum up the machine when they put them on the carousel. Whiteout would be my first choice but I thought I'd see who used what and the slide made it into the show whithout that problem. Thanks Luvy

jaisjewels
10-16-2003, 08:47 AM
Oh bummer - they don't allow oil pastel. :( I wonder if there are any competitions out there which would take oil pastel entries. If anyone knows of any, please let me know! Thanks,

Deborah Secor
10-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Hi gang--Enter the PJ 100, all of ya! LOL Then maybe you'll get in the top 100 and I can interview you! I've done interviews for two years now and it's a lot of fun. My dream job (other than selling paintings) is to ask artists what they did and how and write about it!

Anyway, don't use white out on the slide, it can get soft and be a real mess. The tape can get pulled off too--trust me. Go get some slide mounts. I use the Pakon brand which have a little gadget that allows you to open them and replace the film so you have a whole new mount ready to write on. You'll need a soft cotton photo glove or use a clean soft rag to handle the film. Or you can get the kind that snap together. They're easy to use but can sometimes come loose.

Whatever you do, do a really good job of making the slide. In the March/April 2002 PJ is some good advice on what to include and what NOT to show in a slide. Also, I wrote an article about slides for shows that was in the Jan./Feb. 2001 issue.

Enter!!!
Deborah

Marc Sabatella
10-16-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by blissfullyunaware
How do you get a slide when you use a digital camera.... ? help!

Check around some of the camera / photo deveoping shops in your area. Not the generic 60 minute photo types, but where the serious photographers go to have their pictures developed. I live in Denver, I have slides made from digital images at Colorado Camera for $5 each - cheaper when just having one or two made than having a picture professionally shot, but of course more expensive in the long run, especially if you are capable of shooting your own slides. Digital is easier to shoot for me because I can do the cropping and other adjustments myself. The final results seem more than adequate. Although, I haven't made it into the Pastel 100 yet. I do know people that have, though, and am being optimistic that this may be my year!

Marc Sabatella
10-16-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by jaisjewels
Oh bummer - they don't allow oil pastel. :( I wonder if there are any competitions out there which would take oil pastel entries.

Last year, Pastel Journal strongly implied that they would have a separate competition for oil pastel, but that never happened. But you can certainly enter oil pastels in general all media competitions, like the ones in International Artist magazine, or various other shows. I haven't seen any pastel-specific ones that allow oil pastel, though. Too bad - I think people who haven't worked in oil pastel much tend to overstate the differences.

Deborah Secor
10-16-2003, 08:07 PM
The PJ was purchased by a big company recently. I know that last year the original owners were planning on opening the competition to OPs... Too bad that changed...
:(
Deborah

Mikki Petersen
10-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Well, this made me pull my PJ from the mailing wrapper and take a look. thanks to Luvy and Mark, I now know how to have a slide made from my digital photo and the rules say the work can be from the past two years, so I'm gonna give it a try! Thanks for all the good info and encouragement (as only Wet Canvas members can do it!).

CBruce
10-17-2003, 02:31 AM
Dee, thanks so much for answering my question. I entered the 100 last year and didn't make it but have had several good entries over the past couple of years. They do have some wonderful artists that have won and I hope to be one of them someday. Thanks for preserving my slides. ps I read your article but didn't have it pegged in my archives. :)

Mary Robinson
10-18-2003, 02:19 AM
I've decided to enter, the worst thing that can happen is they say no, so everything from that point on is a good thing, right? I'm entering the Tower Seascape painting, you can view it under the Newbie, diving right in, thread.

:clap:

Deborah Secor
10-18-2003, 12:12 PM
I can't tell you how many times I've talked to artists who finished in the top 100 who said they had been rejected over and over--until now. So enter! If you don't enter the answer is ALWAYS no.