PDA

View Full Version : Technique Help

Kjewels24
10-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Hi, I'm relatively new to abstract art and poured painting but I saw an effect that I was trying to create in my painting and I was wondering if anyone knew how it was done. It is almost like veining or a snowflake. Seen here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2015/1976825-image.jpg

I had heard something about flow aid so I tried it and it did not give the desired result.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Kjewels24
10-21-2015, 08:36 PM
:wink2:

Eraethil
10-21-2015, 10:43 PM
Try using liquid acrylics as a base (still wet) and then pouring high flow acrylics atop or along side. It will be hit and miss depending on the difference in viscosity of the two paints. Also, sometimes the veining appears and then speads out, diffusing into a wash. Good luck. (and take notes)

Kjewels24
10-21-2015, 11:25 PM
Thank you, I'll definitely have to try that. And notes are a great idea (especially when experimenting in the wee hours!)

birdhs
10-21-2015, 11:52 PM
Welcome to us abstractkies,
that looks quite cool
hoping someone can help
I would like to know how to do that
I thought it was a watercolor,
but I don't do watercolors

greggo

Gollator
10-23-2015, 02:55 PM
the tiny tentacles looks like guided by a stick to me, too regular to be created purely by physics. I use a hair spray can filled with water, this could be used for the washed away parts in the upper right. You can experiment with the drying time, let parts dry. The yellow blobs seem to have some gel effect going on.

If experimenting, make sure your floor is covered by plastique foils ;)

magnolya
10-23-2015, 11:06 PM
Hi, this is a special type of paint used with a medium rather than a technique. Here are a couple of links for you to explore this cool paint product. I remember seeing this in the gallery forum here some months ago. Have fun !:wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1370863

http://artwaters.com/

Eraethil
10-24-2015, 02:45 AM
I've never seen dry compositions done with artwaters. All of the videos end once the extender fluid pushes the paint out toward the edges of the feathered paint. So I have no idea if they still look exciting once dried. Have you seen the results once dry magnolya?

Kjewels24
10-26-2015, 11:13 PM
I have seen the ArtWaters website and that's why I assumed this was a chemical or physics reaction, not artist manipulation. I don't think ArtWaters dries into an actual composition though. So, I'm thinking it must be a similar reaction or similar components that the artist used to create the effect.

Kjewels24
10-26-2015, 11:14 PM
Oh, and I saw someone mention water colors but this was from an acrylic piece.

corfublue
10-26-2015, 11:49 PM
salt

Bridgewalks
10-27-2015, 12:23 AM
I do similar. There are a couple ways to achieve it. I make Homebrew fluid acrylics and I use tattoo needles in different gauges to guide. Making a similar effect.

Can go other routes as well to cause the reactions but in my opinion you have less control.

corfublue
10-27-2015, 12:38 AM
try salt. works just the same. absorbs the water

Artyczar
10-27-2015, 06:01 AM
Try salt and a hair dryer to spread out the veins.

Hi everyone. Long time no see! :)

Eraethil
11-20-2015, 07:24 PM
Here is another method. Though it is not explained, I'm guessing either a resin or a poured acrylic medium was used as a base and then acrylic inks (thin acrylics) were dropped/drawn in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClOu6PSLqWk

SeaCorc
11-22-2015, 02:20 AM
You can get this type of effect by pressing a wet flat surface over acrylic paint that's still wet, and then lifting the flat surface up without smudging.

graphicali
11-22-2015, 05:28 AM
I spent ten minutes this morning having a play with different mediums and surfaces, I will post all of the results later when they have dried properly. The nearest so far is using Liquitex matte medium in a thin layer on a smooth surface, mat board in this case, then dropping in FW inks.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Nov-2015/106950-IMG_3740.jpg

maryinasia
11-22-2015, 06:25 AM
very cool!

PushingPixels
11-22-2015, 10:02 AM
All of you are amazing so willing to help and share knowledge. I have nothing to add but wanted to share how much I value the input here. barb

pugster
11-24-2015, 03:00 AM
i spent some time trying to formulate how to do this effect after seeing the high flow acrylics , i got a similar effect by doing the following.

create a loose base white by mixing a cheap white acrylic with water (as much (as you can get in without loosing cohesion , it needs to be the consistency of cream - add a flow agent to this mix (brand name or ive used johnson floor polish in the past- used to be called Klear)

spread the above on a canvas , you want about 2-3mm thickness , then drop on some decent quality acrylic inks , they will drop though and sink into the layer you have put on.

get some 99% proof iso alcohol (it must be 99%) and and use a dropper to put a few drops on where you put the inks , the high proof alcohol pushes the ink though the white mixture and evaporates off.

the hardest part is getting the white base mix the correct consistency , this is the effect i got using the above >

(apparently i need to make another post before i can post an image)

pugster
11-24-2015, 03:00 AM
not a very good photo but you can see the effect

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/pugster/2013-12-08%2016.10.32_zpsu5kdlc7x.jpg

Eraethil
11-24-2015, 03:25 AM
Two sets of great results.

Another option that worked decently for me some time ago was using alcohol inks (crafters use them to paint metals and other materials to which acrylic doesn't adhere well) on various viscosities of paint or gesso. I think that is what the artwaters kit identified earlier uses.

I also tried high flow acrylics dropped into pouring medium and pouring medium thinned with airbrush medium as a base, and it didn't feather out, so I suspect that the feathering is partly a result of the alcohol and pigment pushing through pigment particles, the larger the better. Just a theory, but it may be worthwhile to try paints with larger particles, or thinned glass bead gel, as the base.

Happy experimenting!

graphicali
11-24-2015, 03:32 AM
The inks that I used were acrylic inks, so no alcohol involved.

I too found poor results with pouring medium. The Liquitex matte medium was best, it is quite runny. I also got reasonable results on AV gloss medium which is also very thin, so I think that the base coat, whatever is used needs to be quite thin,although not as thin as water.

I also found that some pigments seem to be more inclined to behave in this way.

Medeea
11-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Try salt...but salt with big grains not the sandy type.LOL