PDA

View Full Version : Rockaway

TerryCurley
10-20-2015, 02:48 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-20-2015/1966386_small_rockaway.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Rockaway
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is a remake of the painting I did recently called 'Hazy Day on the Ocean' I got a lot of excellent feed back (especially from Mark) on that painting and tried to apply everything onto this picture.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I tried to concentrate on aerial perspective and gradually go from dark to light. I tried to keep in mind something that Mark said. When viewing something far away light things seem darker and darker things seem lighter. I also tried to work on the shadows and lighting.

Please critique my picture honestly. Andy ...please forget the ship in the background...I like it!

Andrewcody
10-20-2015, 05:29 PM
Fall of light problem.
The bird on the right - below that ship - the sun is in the distance yet you have the shadow of the bird in front of the bird. A physical impossibility.
Regards
Andrew

Jazzylady216
10-20-2015, 05:37 PM
I am not a landscape painter, so maybe I am wrong. But I think the sky and horizon should be lighter. It is not possible that it almost has the same color as the water.

TerryCurley
10-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Fall of light problem.
The bird on the right - below that ship - the sun is in the distance yet you have the shadow of the bird in front of the bird. A physical impossibility.
Regards
Andrew

You're right...duh...I fix it right now.

TerryCurley
10-20-2015, 06:27 PM
I am not a landscape painter, so maybe I am wrong. But I think the sky and horizon should be lighter. It is not possible that it almost has the same color as the water.

I don't see it having the same color as the water, I think the sky on the horizon is much lighter than the water. I guess I must not be understanding what you are saying.

TerryCurley
10-20-2015, 06:39 PM
I moved the shadow. Does this look right now or should it be more to the lower left of the bird?

The horizon line in both my pictures looks like it is slanted down to the right, but that's just because I'm not capable of taking a decent photo. I crop them to be square but the photo I take is often slanted. The horizon is straight on the painting.

La_
10-20-2015, 08:42 PM
the bird would have to be a couple feet, maximum, from the water for it to cast a shadow onto the water
the water would have to be calm, in order to see the entire complete shadow of the bird
both birds casting shadows are far too big to be close enough to the water to need shadows
the large bird on the foreground rock ... this is an ocean, right, Huge; the rock is also, Huge - would the bird really be that big?

la

Jules Hilliard
10-20-2015, 10:40 PM
Generally the sky is a bit lighter than the water. Also, the sky gets lighter as it drops down to the horizon. Both get lighter and toned down a bit as they recede. As for the horizon, cheat a little! It is not against any law to use a strait edge. Measure down from the top or up from the bottom on both sides of your canvas and draw a very light line. And last but not least, use the photo as a guide. If your painting outdoors use what you see as a guide. Feel what you are seeing, then express yourself using your own individuality.

TerryCurley
10-21-2015, 08:10 AM
The horizon line is straight on the painting! It's the photo that is slanted. Yes I used a guide when doing it. The Sky is lighter as you get closer to the water. I'm amazed that you can't see that Jules and Jazz. I think I'm going nuts.

LA you make sense about the birds. I will remove the shadows from them. As for the one closest ...well yeah he might be too big...whoops.

TerryCurley
10-21-2015, 10:35 AM
I removed the shadow on the bird on the right. I did leave the shadow on the bird on the left because he is flying very low.

Hopefully in this new photo you can see that the horizon line is straight.

mbankhead
10-21-2015, 02:22 PM
terry, from your earlier posts til now I think you are maling great progress. i think the size of your birds is fine. and the horizon could be muted a little as it comes closer to the sky, that would give the illusion of more depth to the painting. over all good colors and over all work. i like it.

TerryCurley
10-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Yes I agree the water on the horizon needs to be lighter. I can see that now. I'll get right on it.

TerryCurley
10-21-2015, 05:15 PM
I lightened the water on the horizon. Thank you all for your help.

TerryCurley
10-26-2015, 11:28 AM
One last (hopefully) tweak on this one.

jennymac
10-26-2015, 11:41 AM
I like all of the movement in the painting: water, birds, sky. I am happy that the horizon line became less rigid. It now looks as if it is far away on a hay day.

fedetony
10-26-2015, 11:58 AM
I miss the peak of the bird in the right... somehow all my attention concentrates there...

TerryCurley
10-26-2015, 02:15 PM
The peak? I don't know what you mean. I haven't changed that bird.