PDA

View Full Version : Golden Fields

LouMcK
10-18-2015, 08:38 PM
8x11" Watercolor on 140lb Arches CP with DS paints.
This was very challenging for me. I am working on improving my aerial perspective. I'd appreciate all honest C&C...no need to be gentle with me :smug:
Thanks for taking time to look. ~Louise
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2015/1813448-Landscape_redo_WC.jpeg

La_
10-19-2015, 02:36 PM
lovely!

i kind of want to be able to see more through the fenceposts on the left and am pulled a little too strongly towards the farthest away treeline just left of centre by the water.

really nice comp, really nice yellow glow and the sky is fantastic

la

LouMcK
10-19-2015, 09:04 PM
LA, is the far treeline you're talking about the area that I have circled here? I can easily lift a bit of paint there.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2015/1813448-Landscape_redo_WC_markup.jpeg

La_
10-19-2015, 09:29 PM
that's the one, yes

la

Jar123
10-20-2015, 03:19 PM
Firstly great piece. It does capture an expansive field for sure.
I agree with La . Theres something in the immediate foreground that troubled me cant put my finger on it. Maybe the reference presented an issue with that.

Thats my two cents.

Mark Szymanski
10-20-2015, 06:16 PM
This is a really fine piece. Congratulations. I think the aerial perspective is pretty good overall, La's suggestion is spot on. The linear perspective works very well. The sky is particularly well done - I feel there is an arching over head movement to the colors of both the sky and the clouds. The clouds seem to be traveling, they seem to be going from there to here. The colors in the painting are fun and vibrant without being cartoonish and garish. I particularly love the violet near the end of road on the right side. Nice splash of an unexpected, yet important color. It really sets this up a notch.

The only thing which kind of struck me was the difference in handling in the background to the foreground. There is an implied level of detail in the background and mid background trees which isn't being carried forward into the areas closest to the viewer. Any detail should be slight and implied, just a bit more than the foggy sort of detail you've given in the green grass and the shadowed stuff on the right. That right side needs a bit more description to me... I don't know if they're small trees, tall grass, a hedge or what.

Perhaps, if you think it wise, you could add a shadow in the foreground to add another plane to the piece. There are trees a bit of a distance into the painting so there is a precedent you've set within it. I think it might help to draw the eye around a bit and relieve that bright road some, but it is already a strong piece as it stands. You could lighten the left side grass to contrast the shaded side. When that is done a few random grass/forb/bushy type things could be displayed against that lighter area.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2015/1765836-field.jpg

This is how I would sort of see the above idea, you may not care for it.

LouMcK
10-20-2015, 07:22 PM
Thank you, Mark! I love your changes! I may attempt to lighten the grass on left and add shadow as you suggested. I think it really adds a lot! ...and I did soften that tree line that LA pointed out. That helped too. I really appreciates all the suggestions. It all helps me to improve! ~Louise

LouMcK
10-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Based on your feedback, I have tweaked it a bit. I am much happier with it now. Thanks so much for the helpful critiques! (Sorry about the crop. I had already taken it off the board and it's too warped to crop properly now. I need to take the iron to it!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Oct-2015/1813448-Landscape_Redo2_WC.jpeg

EnPassant
10-22-2015, 06:06 AM
I love those yellow fields. I suck at watercolour and always admire those who can do it.

corfublue
10-26-2015, 11:40 PM
good advice I was once given is what is the painting trying to say? is it colour? shape? line? texture? those are the complicated questions. but you can say, sky, fields, or road? then when you decide what one push it. exaggerate it. make your point.

briankinderfineart
10-27-2015, 03:00 AM
such fantastic work! You are a real artist my friend and it is a pleasure to look at your beautiful work! My only complaint...I want to see more of your work.

Recover
10-29-2015, 03:11 AM
Those changes made really helped the piece a lot. Before, my eye kept getting drawn to the far water and felt constrained there, but now I feel the painting is breathing much better. Those purples are beautiful and very well handled. Technically speaking, nothing is really standing out to me as problematic. Perhaps the only thing i'm not quiet sure about is the shoreline near the trees you had circled earlier.Something about it is striking me as off, though I can't quiet put my finger on it. Though it could be nothing at all and just me making a problem up by looking for one. I do also wish there was a little bit more sharpness in the foreground. More specifically to the grass left of the road, as in Mark's. All that said, this is a beautiful painting.

LouMcK
10-30-2015, 08:07 PM
Thank you all for all the helpful feedback... I have learned so much from everyone here!