PDA

View Full Version : Through Shane's Eyes - Abstract X-posted.

CaseHardened
10-17-2015, 08:10 AM
My friend Shane is having it rough right now. He's had glaucoma for quite a while and it's getting worse. In a nutshell, it's been getting worse and now it is worse. I visited him a few days ago and he could see my presence but standing a few feet away he did not know it was me until I spoke.

Since then his condition has been on my mind. My eyesight isn't great but I'm just mildly nearsighted. I can still recognize people I've known for 20+ years from a long distance. He can't anymore. What must his world look like? What must it be like to look at something he's seen a thousand times and not be sure exactly what he's looking at until it identifies itself to him?

This is for Shane, what the world must look like, if it's even this good for him. Critiques and Comments are welcome and encouraged.

birdhs
10-17-2015, 09:05 AM
interesting blog, too!

not a subject that is broached often
thoughtful and compassionate
having a painting like that in my studio
might keep me a swash more humble
and appreciate the gifts I do have today

greggo

CaseHardened
10-17-2015, 06:59 PM
Thank you Greggo. :)

davefriend
10-18-2015, 05:21 PM
I like the backstory and the empathy you are trying to put into the work. It is an unenviable place to be for your friend Shane. I suspect it is an uncomfortable place for us to consider being without our ability to see clearly so we can make and enjoy art. Thanks for sharing CaseHardened!

CaseHardened
10-18-2015, 05:32 PM
Thank you Dave. :)

Gollator
10-19-2015, 03:44 PM
On the story first: I can fully relate that this condition is hard to imagine and that art might be a good fuse for dealing with one's thoughts. Thanks for sharing! Did you tell him/show him? Was he able to see/guess what you did?

The digital image: what you attached is living through the background story, IMHO, it does not reach its full impact though.

I am still able to make out most of the scenery, but there is little that catches my immediate interest; from what you wrote, I guess that fellow humans, and esp. their faces are one of the most severe losses this condition bringt. Also, I think that the colors could be toned down at some areas (maybe adding some yellow or orange into the blue, and likewise some red into the green?), again strongly IMHO, as they are quite upbeat and contradict (to me) the feeling that you want to transport.

Please ignore my nit-picking at will.