GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Sgt. Pepper, my dog
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Charcoal
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 30 x45 centimeters
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I recently started drawing and have just finished my third lesson of my sketching and drawing course. The first three weeks we have to explore the charcoal medium and more important, to see the known shapes as circles, triangles in every subject that we want to draw. So this morning I decided to draw my dog. I took a photo with my digicam and started with discovering the shapes and tried to work those out so it would really become a dog.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Did I correctly discovered the shapes in the dogs head, did I used the charcoal in a decent manner?
Every critique is welcome. By the way I really enjoy this great site, it gives me inspiration all the time.

roberj
10-14-2003, 08:00 PM
Serious dog. Everything looks good, especially for a beginning artist. One tip might be to concentrate on the direction of the lines. The lines shading the face are a little straight where it might have been better to follow the contour a little closer. That is also my chief beef with crosshatching, it shows shadow well, but does not usually contribute much to the flow of line that really makes a drawing bark. Best advice is to keep it up. At this point quantity is almost as important as quality. Practice, practice, pracitce. evaluate each drawing and try and improve each time. Good work,

Bob

Andrew Rance
10-14-2003, 08:19 PM
I think you have achieved a number of things that beginners often find hard - the geometry is right, the highlights are good and the composition is fine. My only crit would be the depiction of the ears - need more working in. I might be tempted to have a go at this in colour, if I were you.

eponaluna
10-15-2003, 12:37 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Wow! If this is what you are like as a beginner, you will be going places for sure! You really captured that soulful (sp?) look that dogs have. Just a few pointers...the eyes look slightly asymetrical, it isn't majorly off...just something I noticed. I also agree that the ears could use a little more blending. The fur on the face has a lovely soft look and although the hair on the ears is longer, you should still be able to get a similar effect. Overall though, I can't tell you how impressed I am with someone producing this after just beginning instruction. Give yourself a pat on the back and give your instructor one too.
Cara

bocote
10-15-2003, 01:48 AM
first posting. thanks for sharing. agree with Bob here. Also careful to bring out some debth with contrast and other lights/darks.

macgirlie108
10-15-2003, 07:49 AM
Thanks all for your tips. I've worked a little more on the eyes and the ears. Also I tried to put the lines following the shape of the face. Unfortunately I didn't use the best paper quality (I had not expected to succeed in my first dog portrait) so I decided not to work on it further, because I think it would do more harm than good. And during fixation I messed up the right eye a bit (sprayed to long).
Anyway, next time I start with a good quality paper at once.
So I also have been thinking to do this in color, but how to draw a really black dog in color??? :D .