PDA

View Full Version : Swan Lake

TerryCurley
10-13-2015, 03:09 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-13-2015/1966386_Small_Swan_Lake.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Swan Lake
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I'm not happy with the trees, especially the ever greens (except for one of them). I feel I really screwed up on those. But over all I'm happy with the painting in general.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
An honest critique would be appreciated. You folks have helped me improve several of my paintings.

TerryCurley
10-13-2015, 04:49 PM
I adjusted the reflections of the swans.

Jules Hilliard
10-18-2015, 07:13 PM
Yes, what you did with the reflections of the swans is an improvement. However, to me the water looks like it is standing up, rather than lying down. I think if you lighten the distant water some you will eliminate that illusion. You might try toning down some of the background trees and such. I've been observing some of your paintings. Your doing good. Keep it up.

TerryCurley
10-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Thank you for your critique. Yeah I see where I should have lightened up the water that is far away, I will see about touching it up tomorrow. As for the trees I really am not happy with them at all. I'm going to do another painting that will be similar and hopefully do better on the trees.

Thank you for following my work. I have so much to learn and need so much practice. I love every minute I spend painting. I started painting in May of 2014 so I haven't been at it long at all. My first works were somewhere between awful and horrible, so a lot of the fun is seeing improvement. Forums have been a really wonderful tool to improve. I'm not looking for kudos but for ways to improve.

TerryCurley
10-19-2015, 12:34 PM
Did I make it better or worse?

La_
10-19-2015, 02:08 PM
you made it different

date the back and move on to the next

or

the thing with atmospheric perspective is that it's really quite subtle
the very gentle light you Had in the distant waters edge was subtle but too small. a very gentle dusting to spread the light would have been sufficient.
now, we have a bit of an ice flow, no reflections, no shadows, no lovely bits of purple and the body heat of the swans has melted? the ice around them.

i expect this 'fix' was quick, rather impatient, and wrought with wanting to be finished - i've been there, many times, i know this fix and it rarely works.
park it, don't even look at it for a couple of days, work on something else, then check it again with fresh eyes, study it in different times of the day until you are confident in your next 'fix' session (if you choose to do one). that's what i would do.

la

TerryCurley
10-19-2015, 03:14 PM
Well I decided it was too harsh and you are correct La. I decided to remove the fix (mostly) now while it was still wet and easy to do.

La_
10-19-2015, 03:38 PM
gotta love oils, right =)

la

TerryCurley
10-19-2015, 05:33 PM
Yup.