PDA

View Full Version : "That Day on the Beach"

it'sALLart
10-10-2015, 01:12 PM
acrylic dyptich, 28 x 22.5 inches.

Been working on this off and on for a month or so, in between ceramic pieces. Very hard to photograph, there is interference blue and aqua, metallic gold, etc... looks far better IRL, but this is close. :)

(the challenge was getting each side to stand on it's own and also work with each other)

graphicali
10-10-2015, 01:25 PM
Nice work, I like this a lot!

Bevahlee
10-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Stunning!!! When you nail it, you nail it. If it looks better IRL, it's fantastic cause it's fantastic as it is.

it'sALLart
10-10-2015, 06:21 PM
Thanks, graphicali and Bev... feels nice to get some supportive words from fellow old timers in the forum. Had a feeling you'd like this one, Bev. :wave:

Darn camera won't pick up flourescence, metallic, anything subtle like that (on the vertical shapes)... and that's what really makes the piece work for me. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow that shows it better. This one is actually kind of dull compared. If you have not tried interference colors, I highly recommend them for adding some spice.

graphicali
10-10-2015, 08:49 PM
I love interference colours and I know just how difficult they are to capture. These are really good.

birdhs
10-10-2015, 08:54 PM
It takes special spot lighting from each side to help the camera catch the sparkle fizsz and pop. Natural lighting will not work. I am unable to describe it better:

Place or hang your art on a flat surface (like a wall) with a grey, black or white background
Make sure the art is level
Measure up from the floor to the middle of the art. Take note of that height; you will need it later.

Set up the light stands first, and then add the lighting heads
Place the umbrellas onto the lighting heads and then face the lights away from the art
The lights should be placed at 45 degree angles from the art, half way between the art and the camera, this will give even, diffused light.

Set the camera to shoot in RAW (this will give you the most digital information)
Set the ISO to 100 (this will reduce “noise” in the digital image)
Set the camera to “aperture priority” (this will keep the aperture locked)
Set the aperture to f/8 or higher (this will put more of the image in focus)
Set the white balance if shooting in jpeg or tiff (Tungsten, Fluorescent, Daylight, Custom, etc)
If you have mixed lighting you can create a custom white balance or just shoot in RAW
Set the camera to timer mode (this is to minimize camera shake)

Set up the camera on a tripod, make sure the tripod and camera are level
After attaching the camera, bring the lens to the exact height of the middle of the art (this is the measurement you took when hanging the art)
Place the tripod at a distance where the art fills almost the entire view, yet you are not too close to get distortions.
Clean the camera lens with a lens cleaning cloth
Turn on the light kit
Get the entire image in the frame with a bit of background (you will crop it out later)
Focus your image (manually or with auto focus)
Press the button and let go of the camera, the timer function will open the shutter and take the shot
Bracket your shot by going up and down one stop with the shutter speed
Leave the tripod in place in case you need to come back and shoot more images

Hope that helps. It was cut & pasted from WC, but at that time I did not copy the URL

greggo

almost forgot: LOVE dose paintings! These are excellent, not surprised Bev loved them, too.

it'sALLart
10-11-2015, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the compliment and advice. I've art directed with many pro photographers over the years, so what you list is solid advice.

However, other than video, photography is simply not going to capture opalescence, flourescence or metallic effects per se, especially considering that it's losing two steps by the time it reaches a computer screen. The colors seen when they are changed by the effect can be captured but not the actual effect which, IMO, takes movement to actually see color shifts, lighting changes, fluorescing, opalescing, etc.

Here's a video which shows exactly what I'm talking about:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsKHR7IlIk4)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSjPXMbnh4I

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsKHR7IlIk4)

Vanguard
10-12-2015, 11:42 AM
Well, I think it's a really good photograph of a hugely appealing piece. Excellent.

UnknownArtist
10-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Intriguing visual! Now I wonder, what happened that day on the beach?

it'sALLart
10-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Thanks, Vanguard

Kenya... appreciate your kind words! Glad you are wondering, that means the painting got you to think a bit...

davefriend
10-12-2015, 01:36 PM
I love it when I find something that appeals to me so much as it is presented and then artist says it looks better in real life. In my mind I try to imagine how could it be looking better? And yet, at the same time, I have photographed pieces that do not show the full spectrum of what I am seeing in the work. This is a tremendously appealing work and I can imagine it on someones wall, a delight each day they get to look at it.

trufflecat
10-13-2015, 11:09 AM
Excellent piece!!

it'sALLart
10-13-2015, 12:14 PM
Thank you Dave and Susan for checking it out and liking it, nice validation... you never know for sure if things are working or not... but I was hopeful.

Eraethil
10-20-2015, 03:13 AM
This is a great piece Keith - dramatic and well composed. Congratulations!

it'sALLart
10-20-2015, 05:04 PM
Thanks, Rick... appreciate it!