http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-14-2003/4946_Nude1UPMM.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-14-2003/4946_Nude1UP.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Nude 1
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12x16
Allow digital alterations?: No, please :)

MY COMMENTS:
this was meant to be an under painting for obviously a reclining nude. Her left leg is partially under a cover.
I was going to paint it all to be more obvious.

It so far only white gesso, tinted gesso (my own mix) and sepia acrylic paint.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Are there any obvious problems?
Should I stop here?
In a weird way I kinda like the sketchiness.

giniaad
10-14-2003, 05:36 PM
I like the sketchyness too...
glad you mensioned the blanket...

the only thing that looks off is Her left breast
it looks bigger than her right...
her left arm is up (might bring up the breast a bit)
her right arm is down (and yet the breast underline is higher)

her right one looks good
I would adjust the left
the volume is definately bigger than the right...
(try the mirror trick)

this looks really great, Ginette...

Ginette
10-14-2003, 06:16 PM
I think you nailed it about the breast.
I will work on that.
Thanks Giniaad

Ginette

Ginette
10-14-2003, 07:04 PM
Getting better.... should I stop or is there something else that needs work?
I'm afraid to overwork this one.

Ginette

Ginette
10-14-2003, 07:05 PM
Detail

dornberg
10-14-2003, 09:21 PM
i like the freedom of composition

mcknight
10-14-2003, 09:32 PM
I like it. Photo or life? I assume photo since you're contemplating continuing. If it's a new sort of thing for you and you like it's freshness, it might be best not to mess with it. Then you've got a record of what you liked and a ticket to take the next one further.

Ginette
10-15-2003, 12:17 AM
Thanks Dornberg :)

Thanks Dave... It's photo, however I am very familiar with the model ;) and I took lots of photos from various angles.

I will keep this as a reference of sorts, really my first nude. Have been intrigued to do figure for a while, getting my feet wet.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :)

Ginette

giniaad
10-15-2003, 12:24 AM
hey, lookin good
I think I agree with Dave.
might be best to stop here and go to the next.

you could intimate her left eye, forearm and hand
or leave the freshness alone
keep this record

it's up to you

(dual posting...I think you decided to stop here...good)

Ginette
10-15-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by giniaad
hey, lookin good
I think I agree with Dave.
might be best to stop here and go to the next.

you could intimate her left eye, forearm and hand
or leave the freshness alone
keep this record

it's up to you

(dual posting...I think you decided to stop here...good)

Actually I did make a slight change on the eye but have not taken a new picture yet. I will in daylight and then post again.

Thanks Ginaad :)

bocote
10-15-2003, 01:43 AM
I have a concern before you go on into this. composition.... head cropped, hand off, and other hand is fine, legs off (ok).

If you are not concerned after reading this and want to go on as is then I am not concerned. I just dont want you to do what I have done in the past and cropped something a little wierd and stop painting midway because its too late :)

This is going to turn out good either way, but just wanted to voice my concern.

Andrew
10-15-2003, 11:35 AM
Even if you don't go further it still is a good bit of work. My only criticism is compositional. The way you have the limbs cropped, it seems like you are avoiding painting hands and/or feet. On the other hand the monochromatic scheme and the rapid appearance of the brushwork make the static reclined pose seem active.

Andrew

Rabbit Twilight
10-15-2003, 12:10 PM
I think you've done a good job with this. I like the sketchy feel. When, it first opened though.....I did think the blanket was her leg.

Ginette
10-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Thanks all I certainly appreciate all your input, concerns & praise.

Personally I am always looking for that unorthodox crop. I kinda like this one. I have one option where I include both hands fully, the right hand is hanging down, if I include the hand I will also have to include more of the thigh and the knee. I did not like that much leg in the front part of the painting. The perspective seemed to give the leg a thick look. So when I cropped it up to the pubic area it eliminated the thigh & knee but also the hand. The hand above her head is bend back holding on to the top part of the seat. I could be more tidy painting that hand I guess. Not my favorite body part but in a larger more complete version, I will have to do that.

Thanks guys... Ginette

Gilberte
10-15-2003, 03:32 PM
Ginette,
I would love to comment or critique but as I couldn't do better I won't say much. I think you "fixed" the breast very well and I like the monochromatic approach. Maybe, vielleicht ... you could soften the eyes a bit, the way you did the mouth ?

danderas
10-15-2003, 09:48 PM
I absolutely love this piece, the freedom and the looseness are second to none. I also love the composition. I would be thrilled to have done this piece. Congratulations and do not change a thing. You have exceptional talent! Dan

Rieko
10-16-2003, 03:17 AM
Bold and loose. I like the skin texture, too. I hope you would leave as it is now.

Ginette
10-16-2003, 02:42 PM
Thanks Gilberte... please always do comments to your hearts desire. It's always taken in great appreciation :)

Thanks Dan... for you generous praise. I'm encouraged to do another one.

Thanks Rieko :) I will definitely leave it.

Ginette