PDA

View Full Version : Woodcuts Repairing Mistakes

Liz E
10-06-2015, 09:55 PM
I made a wood cut which I like very much except for one small area. I tried to use wood filler to correct it but have a problem making it smooth. Does anyone have a suggestion for what I can do?

Diane Cutter
10-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Hi, Liz...

I've made repairs on my woodcuts with wood filler. To make it smooth I use the edge of an old playing card (and sometimes an old credit card}. If you are lucky to have wood close enough on either side, just take the card and firmly pass over the wood filler. Sometimes some of it comes up and you need to push more filler in and smooth again.

Here's a more detail explanation I posted years ago on my blog: http://theitinerantartist.blogspot.com/2009/09/let-me-show-you-how-i-make-small.html

Hope that helps...

Diane

Liz E
10-07-2015, 08:57 PM
Thank you, Diane. I will try that. It makes a lot of sense especially since the part that is a mistake is in such a position that it would be awkward to sand it. And I'm reluctant to use sand paper on it anyway. I will let you know if I am successful.

winking cat press
10-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Hello Liz.... While plastic wood can be used to make repairs, I've found that it never looks quite right when printed. I use a different technique: Using a drill that is just a tiny bit larger than the damaged area, I drill a hole right through the damage very carefully. Then I glue in a short piece of dowell stick to fill the hole..... then I carve the dowel back to the original design.

That works for damage up to 1" in diameter. If it's larger than that, I toss the block into the fireplace and carve a new one.

Liz E
10-08-2015, 07:38 PM
Dear Senior Member,
Thanks so much for your tip but it sounds a little complicated for me and the spot is a couple of inches. I tried Diane's repair and it is working nicely.
BTW I like your quote.

Liz E
10-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Dear Diane,
It worked - thanks so much. I love your blog.
Liz E