PDA

View Full Version : the bonneville salt flats

mbankhead
10-06-2015, 04:02 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-06-2015/1975842_20150831_194121.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: the bonneville salt flats
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 36x24'
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I did this a couple of years ago, as a quick study. I came across it again and thought it would be good to get some feed back on it. sorry the photo really doesn't do it much justice. I was trying to express the vast, stark beauty of the salt flats. actually I'm pleased with the outcome.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
do you think I caught the " stark,& vast part? is it too much? it really has no main focal point.

Dana Design
10-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Well....had this been divided differently as in 1/3 to 2/3rds, it would be really quite nice. But it's never good to divide a canvas in half as it rarely works compositionally.

La_
10-07-2015, 01:01 PM
it's oils, you Could push this further if you like
for example, you Could go brighter white, Could go more flat/hard, Could push the contrast and you Could push the sky up to almost nothing
you Could eliminate the distant mountain range as it diminished the distance

as it is it's peaceful, but, honestly, it's a little boring

la

mbankhead
10-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Well....had this been divided differently as in 1/3 to 2/3rds, it would be really quite nice. But it's never good to divide a canvas in half as it rarely works compositionally.
awe, man. thanks for pointing out the obvious which I should have caught from the beginning. I did it very quickly, hate to miss something like that. you've got a great eye.

mbankhead
10-07-2015, 02:15 PM
it's oils, you Could push this further if you like
for example, you Could go brighter white, Could go more flat/hard, Could push the contrast and you Could push the sky up to almost nothing
you Could eliminate the distant mountain range as it diminished the distance

as it is it's peaceful, but, honestly, it's a little boring

la
thank you, well said. my photo is lousy. there is actually a lot of white in the painting, and I felt the flat hard look has been done by everyone else when they do this subject. I felt a little impressionistic that day. thanks again for the comments. I love the feed back.