PDA

View Full Version : Rough Seas

TerryCurley
10-06-2015, 03:40 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/10-06-2015/1966386_small_ships_at_sea.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Rough Seas
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 20x24 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is the largest picture I have ever painted. I'm interested in what you think of the composition.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I would appreciate a helpful critique.

Andrewcody
10-06-2015, 08:29 PM
Well it is crowded with sailing ships of various types and sail configurations which are not realistic. The ship which is sinking, or which has sunk has it sails furled and stowed???
What are the holes with light showing through the hulls?
Wooden hulled ships did not have port holes, and if these are gun ports they would be closed.
The sea appears to be falling into a hole in thew bottom left corner of your work.
Regards
Andrew

TerryCurley
10-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Well I guess since I really don't know anything about sailing ships I should not have attempted painting this scene.

La_
10-07-2015, 12:18 AM
ha, you're a brave one, i'll give you that
andrew's crit is valid, if not candy coated

it's just such a complex piece, from dramatic sky to stormy seas to a fleet of ships coming home, wow, the perspective challenges in the sea alone need to have a good grounding and then tossing ships about in churning waves has to follow yet differ in perspective - this is a really hard piece, IF one is going for realistic.

peter pan would Love this and i think you've done an admirable job of it

perhaps Mark will stop by with a few perspective lines for us, he's quite helpful

la

TerryCurley
10-07-2015, 08:20 AM
Thank you. I think in order to grow we must work outside of our comfort zone now and then. I'm not a serious artists, just doing it for fun.

TerryCurley
10-07-2015, 11:48 AM
Did a little tweaking. Unfortunately the details that I put in on the ship isn't really noticeable in the photo.

Wassie
10-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Well, I don't know anything about sailing ships with their masts and portholes, but I can tell you I really like this painting. I like the rough colorful water and the sky and all the sailing ships. I look at this painting as it tells a story and it is beautiful. I don't care if the ships are technically correct or not. I like it.

TerryCurley
10-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Thank You Wassie. I've been feeling kind of down and that cheered me up.

EnPassant
10-07-2015, 06:00 PM
I don't think historical accuracy matters as you are not doing a commission, I presume. I like the liveliness of the painting and it shows you are willing to put the work in because it is ambitious. You did a fair job of the sea and the colour is great, if not exactly natural. Keep at it, you will make great progress.

TerryCurley
10-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Thank you so much for your encouragement. No I have never done a commission. I've done a couple of pictures for friends for free, and the pictures that I do that turn out really well I have sold for a minimal price.

Andrewcody
10-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Nothing to do with History just practicality.
Knowing nothing about a topic doesn't hinder your appreciation of it, or commenting anyway.
Regards
Andrew

Goodartguide
10-08-2015, 01:25 PM
A really fun piece. Lots of energy. Whether the ships are correct or not is irrelevant to me, its about the emotions a painting instills and this certainly hits the spot.

TerryCurley
10-09-2015, 03:31 PM
Made ocean less colorful.

Wassie
10-10-2015, 02:24 AM
Put the colors back in. :)

TerryCurley
10-10-2015, 09:59 AM
I am done with this picture, it is what it is. So many people said the ocean should not have greens and purples so I finally gave in and made it all blue, but I do think the colors added some interest to the picture. It's time to move on, this one is finished.

TerryCurley
10-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Another try at fixing this one.

La_
10-19-2015, 02:30 PM
hahaha
so hard to let 'em go sometimes isn't it
love the drama in the sinking ship
and i'm glad the water is more flat in the foreground left (it really was falling off the earth before)

we're a brilliant bunch around here (a lot of the times in our own minds only) so listen with your own opinion in mind, always - keep what you like; change only what you're confident in the logic of, not the subjectiveness.

la

cresta126
10-19-2015, 09:47 PM
my votes for the first masterpiece.

briankinderfineart
10-27-2015, 03:33 AM
Well I guess since I really don't know anything about sailing ships I should not have attempted painting this scene.
With all due respect...not knowing anything about sailing ships has absolutely nothing to do with good painting or drawing! If you have the natural skills and talent to be able to draw and understand the principles of painting techniques you would have gone about this very differently!

My friend, please here me. You could take me or any other artist that paints landscapes, city or seascapes to a place we have never been before and be able to paint the brand new subject in an honest and emotionally compelling way.

Why? This is because we learned to see shapes and form and perspectives and trained artists paint what they see in the style in which they are masters at (impressionism, realism, etc). You see it and you paint it..quite literally! Sorry for sounding harsh but it is so important to understand if you want the general public to be interested in the art you create.

If this is just a fun hobby that you don't take seriously then never mind what I said....because in that case it does not matter....just have fun with it in your own way.

Here is an example up of something I did to show you how I paint what I see. This example is over 10 years old and the photo is not great but look at how I interpreted light and shadow in this busy city block. And I painted this live in real time on the actual street corner and it took several hours in which the sun was moving and shadows were changing (which made it al the more fun, lively and challenging!). I had to chase it constantly to try and get it right!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2015/1976861-DSCN1600.JPG

TerryCurley
10-27-2015, 07:03 AM
Yes this is just a fun hobby that I only started last year. I've never been into any art before and I'm the first to acknowledge I'm at a novice level with very limited natural talent. I enjoy it...that's why I do it. I see myself improving and that makes me happy. I want to learn as much as I can because improving is all part of the fun of my hobby.

briankinderfineart
10-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Yes this is just a fun hobby that I only started last year. I've never been into any art before and I'm the first to acknowledge I'm at a novice level with very limited natural talent. I enjoy it...that's why I do it. I see myself improving and that makes me happy. I want to learn as much as I can because improving is all part of the fun of my hobby.

Okay very good then! I am glad I know more about your background now..this helps me a great deal when giving advice. Keep doing your thing and having fun.

~JMW~
10-28-2015, 10:21 PM
I would consider removing the closest ship totally. Maybe make a large rock or cliff or a section of land of some sort in that corner to add interest there.
I think the repeated diagonal wave lines are what make the water feel like it is draining down to the left corner.
Rough stormy water will still be mostly level in general with rollers and splashes .
images for ideas-
https://www.google.com/search?q=Rough+stormy+water&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIi__Kk9DmyAIV0FmICh0rAwzE

Oh I just noticed you posted you are done with it... but if a next time comes along..

Links in my siggy to Johannes V section is very helpful ...so much info to soak up..

~JMW~
10-28-2015, 10:36 PM
This guy does some really nice seascapes , it's in Russian I believe , but the videos show nicely how he does it- although I wouldn't use my hands /fingers as much as he does..
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1QXVEy4PZrD77fuh9NMS0Q

TerryCurley
10-29-2015, 08:27 AM
This guy does some really nice seascapes , it's in Russian I believe , but the videos show nicely how he does it- although I wouldn't use my hands /fingers as much as he does..
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1QXVEy4PZrD77fuh9NMS0Q

Thank you, I love tutorials! This is very appreciated.

greensyster
10-29-2015, 08:50 AM
Terry - what I found most impressive was indeed the colours you chose. For me they worked. You achieved something very hard to do - you captured the action of the ocean. As a sailor, yes I would recommend learning a bit more about wind direction on waves to sails and all that good stuff. And the lower right foreground ship could totally sink if left in that uncomfortable spot. Work with your strengths cos you definitely have them.