PDA

View Full Version : Linda's Sketchbook

HarvestMoon
10-06-2015, 09:07 AM
I started Sketchbook Skool, and this was my first painting, drawn in ink then watercolor pencils and liquid watercolor. The Basset Hound was knitted by a dear online friend's wife. I love it and it never fails to make me smile!

I will add to this thread. I can only post one a day from my iPad, but I have 4 pages done now. I have long dreamed of doing sketches like Doug and Joan, but some of mine are so bad, most of my spiral sketchbooks have had most of the pages ripped out and tossed. So I went with a hardcover bound book so I can't do that!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2015/90309-image.jpeg

Yorky
10-06-2015, 02:01 PM
Good for you Linda, your sketches have always impressed me.

Doug

HarvestMoon
10-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks so much Doug! I moved over to the notebook computer, so here are the rest!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2015/90309-FullSizeRender.jpg_2

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2015/90309-FullSizeRender.jpg_1

Does anyone else sketch to avoid the bloody bits of crime shows? :eek:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2015/90309-FullSizeRender.jpg_3

Yorky
10-06-2015, 02:35 PM
I recognise the Basset Hound Linda :thumbsup:

Love the chicken.

I expected some goats ;)

Doug

HarvestMoon
10-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Doug when I was trying to sketch the tree bits, a goat, dog, and cat all stuck their faces up in my face. So I sketched them too!

DrDebby
10-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Great sketches. Welcome to Art Journals.

HarvestMoon
10-07-2015, 07:53 AM
Doug please show Ruth the Basset! Our beloved Henry the basset passed away. We adopted a shelter puppy. And have determined she is part Velocoraptor (hope you have seen Jurrasic Park) and part Rocket! She tries to play with the cats, but is 40 pounds of unbridled energy and teeth. Chases the goats despite my training her. Henry was so sweet and gentle with them all. He kept my favorite goats company in the barn in their final days when they could not stand. They are all elderly now. So I keep Ruth's Basset well away from Sunshine, who can chew through a solid inch of wood in seconds! But I love her, somebody must! She will calm down in 12 years or so!

Thank you so much Debbie! I wish they would put a top navigation item on the menu for this place,I love it!

Here is my coffee cup. The front and the rooster on the back. I love these dishes, all folk art!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2015/90309-image.jpeg

Yorky
10-07-2015, 08:28 AM
Yes I showed Ruth the Basset Linda, I think one of her best dogs. She did 50 altogether. Glad you got a replacement for Henry, hope he calms down as he gets older.

Doug

Raindrop
10-07-2015, 09:02 AM
Lovely sketches, Linda. Your colours are so warm and cheerful!

HarvestMoon
10-07-2015, 09:06 AM
Thanks so Much Raindrop!

DrDebby
10-07-2015, 04:44 PM
Cool coffee mug.

HarvestMoon
10-08-2015, 09:44 AM
Thanks Debby!

I started trying to draw birds, and a feather! When my sketchbooks come in, I plan to start the following ones...

1. Healing Journal
2. Birds and Bees and perhaps Butterflies
3. Bags and Boots (purses and cowboy boots)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2015/90309-image.jpeg

robertsloan2
10-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Great sketches! Love that giant cat, he's just being a sweetheart. Maine Coons are such gentle giants. I met a red Maine Coon tabby once named Rusty and he was my afghan -if I laid down in the recliner he'd sprawl on my tummy with his legs stretching down to my knees and head right under my chin, arms over my shoulders, fur covering me side to side. He was a housemate's cat and on chilly nights we kept each other warm.

HarvestMoon
10-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Thanks Robert, we all have snuggle kitties here! Well, this WAS a Bird page! Until I posted the cat on another thread and the good old iPad combined with WC changed the birds ro a cat! Or perhaps he ate them all!

chammi kaiser
10-09-2015, 03:12 AM
These are a delight Linda. I love the style and the humour. The cat is cuddly and beautiful. I am glad he suddenly appeared.:D

HarvestMoon
10-09-2015, 07:46 AM
Thanks Chammi!

Here are the birds....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2015/90309-image.jpeg

BeeG
10-10-2015, 08:11 AM
Well "good on ya" as the Aussies say, for starting the bird studies! Though your cat is spectacular....if I could draw cats that well I don't think I would bother changing species!

I would start with simple and familiar birds, like the cardinal and such, as that will let you get proportions and weight distribution down. (And you will be surprised by where the eyes and legs really ARE, once you dig into this bird thing!) The textures on macaws and parrots are hard to capture, too, though you made a great start there.

HarvestMoon
10-10-2015, 08:21 AM
BeeG my cat, and most of my realistic paintings were traced from a photo, not freehand! I am trying to learn how to sketch freehand, quickly but much more accurately!

HarvestMoon
10-11-2015, 08:58 AM
Not at all used to fast moving animals from life, but these deer were a short distance from my studio window so who could resist?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2015/90309-image.jpeg

HarvestMoon
10-12-2015, 02:21 PM
One of my favorite places, Enchanted Rock State Park!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2015/90309-Enchanted-Rock-sketchbook.jpg

chammi kaiser
10-12-2015, 04:23 PM
I like your freehand style. It is charmingly and refreshingly naive. The Enchanted Rock pages are delightful.

BeeG
10-13-2015, 07:41 AM
I like the addition of the topo with the other pieces. (You might try playing with overlapping the images and not letting the page boundary govern placement....it would enliven your composition.)

HarvestMoon
10-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Thank you Chammi ! BeeG thanks for the tips!

DrDebby
10-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Great pages.

HarvestMoon
10-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Thank you Debby!

robertsloan2
10-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Love the bird page layout! That's spectacular, you're better at page layout than many of my past pages, I fight with it so many times. Love the green parrot, gorgeous proportions and color, LOVE that iridescent feather. Cardinal details good, color, pose, recognizable.

Deer page is charming! Very cute and a little stylized, very effective and well laid out.

Enchanted Rock pages WOW that's perfect. Gorgeous and good text, painted bunting lovely, so colorful! Thought it was a rainbow lorikeet till I read that. Great landscape and cool idea the elevation design under bird. GORGEOUS layouts! I'm amazed and delighted.

That's one of your greatest strengths.

Proportion by eye is something that takes practice - and something I learned absolutely the backwards wrong way by drawing carefully and detailed first. I didn't learn to sketch till long after I learned to draw. All those books that have you do a circle and a triangle and a block thrown together in sketching and then change the shape to accurate are on to something.

The trick in those, which isn't always mentioned in the lessons, is to get the size of the circles, blobs, triangles and cylinders etc. right in relation to each other oriented more or less right to the photo, which can be done sort of trial and error at every stage of refining. Checking that the head circle is a little narrower than the body oval on a bird (and by how much for pose and species) is easiest to correct when the bird's just an oval with a circle on top sort of overlapping. That and go real lightly with the structural markup.

A tool that helped me get proportions right is the proportion divider. Jerry's Artarama has a cheap one for about $10 that's plastic. It's called the Prospek tool, you can set it to enlarge or reduce just by putting the connection off center and use the large end on the photo if reducing, small end on photo if enlarging. Check width of body, turn over, mark on paper check length, same, width of head circle, same, and proportions come out right. Maybe check eye size and beak on a bird too but most of it the details come out well if the big shapes are placed well.

Just mentioning things I had to fight trough the hard way. I used a three sided architect ruler using two different scales, would do 3 units on the small scale on a small photo and 3 on a larger scale on the paper, and coordinates for all dots from side and top of page. That got me hideously accurate like tracing markups for portraits when learning but I was doing like 400 measurements per face at first to get portraits accurate. Later got used to it and down to a half dozen marks. Eyes mouth top-bottom-sides of head maybe ear placement.

But that's the hard way. I was doing coordinates of each little shadow shape within the shadow on the cheek to get likeness. lol

HarvestMoon
10-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Thanks for all the great tips Robert! I struggle so much with sketching and drawing. I hate to measure, never understood the pencil measurement trick. But I added a proportional divider to my Jerrys cart! My friend Pat can look at any photo, and perfectly enlarge it onto her paper, with almost no mistakes! It is amazing, but so discouraging too! She has not even spent much time trying to draw!

HarvestMoon
10-17-2015, 09:30 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Oct-2015/90309-image.jpeg

Yorky
10-17-2015, 11:28 AM
Cute! :lol:

Doug

HarvestMoon
10-17-2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks Doug! You should see his naps during the sermons at Church!

DrDebby
10-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Sweet scene.

robertsloan2
10-17-2015, 10:46 PM
Aww Linda, that's a great portrait of Dan and Killmouseky! Love the relaxed and melted cat enjoying the intimacy. You captured the total flattening of feline form in that pose, Killmouseky looks so comfortable and happy. Great name for a cat too, bet he lives up to it.

BeeG
10-18-2015, 06:45 AM
Adorable (though maybe Dan doesn't think so?).

I want to follow up to Robert's excellent, detailed post yesterday. Though proportion is important, it is also important to not get so caught up in accurately rendering something that you lose your artistic sensibility. If I want to try to carefully translate proportions from a photo, I will, on rare occasions, use the grid method to recreate the major edges/lines. But if you spend too long doing that, you end up losing the excitement/idea of the painting (at least I do).

As an architect, I can confidently say that painting is NOT drafting. Remember that.

So try out the grid, or buy a Prospek, but make sure you attend to your own sensibilities. I suspect that Dan and Mouseky would not be better served by better proportions...what you painted is just wonderful as it is.

HarvestMoon
10-18-2015, 09:10 AM
Thank you Debby, Robert, and Bee!

chammi kaiser
10-18-2015, 11:35 AM
I am really enjoying this thread and watching the challenges you have set for yourself. I think you are doing very well and your drawings are so honest and refreshing. Great tips from Robert but I tend to be more free particularly in my sketch book. Painting for a client is a different matter.

HarvestMoon
10-18-2015, 03:28 PM
Thanks so much Chammi!

flashviv
10-21-2015, 03:53 AM
Great sketches, my favourite is Doug and Killmouskey. Like Chammi I enjoy seeing the challenges you set yourself and how your art is developing.

Joan T
12-05-2015, 06:00 PM
I don't get over here as often as I used to and didn't even realize you are joining in with your journals. I recognize your goat and the cat sketches (Love the name Killmouskey) are great!! You have always had a definite style to your artwork and it still shines in your sketches.