PDA

View Full Version : Impression of Templeton, Massachusetts

DavidOToole
10-05-2015, 08:17 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2015/1975663-temple-stitch-2-smaller.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Impression of Templeton, Massachusetts
Year Created: 2015
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 16x20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I looked out the car window and saw a white house with a big green field and some trees in the distance. I've made a few attempts at a semi-abstract painting of this brief visual impression.

Note: this image is stitched together from multiple scans of a canvas, So there are a few artifacts. The white house is a sheet of dried opaque Liquitex ultra matte gel,
cut to shape and detailed with more acrylic, then decoupaged onto the surface with more matte medium. The scanner left a dark shadow around the top edges of the house because of it being raised up. Also, the matte medium on the bottom of the house was still a little hazy at the time of scanning.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What could I do to improve the composition? I consider it finished, but it seems a bit spartan. Also, I have been experimenting with a semi-abstract style with simplified forms. How does the result feel to you? Furthermore I feel that the image might need more of a tonal range---there aren't really any very light whites or darks. I'd be very interested and thankful to hear any suggestions or thoughts you may have.

Andrewcody
10-06-2015, 03:52 AM
Can you return, can you experience those same feelings, I don't think so, move on down the road, there are more things for you to encounter and to feel.
Regards
Andrew

gastropod
03-07-2016, 01:41 AM
I think your sky and especially your grass are marvelous. It's like the view out of the window of a very fast train, which probably comes from the original inspiration being seen from a moving car!

Jules Hilliard
03-09-2016, 12:33 PM
Yes, your painting is sparse. Your trees look like mountains to me, with shadows under. The next time paint the house in. I don't like to sound too critical, but on this particular painting, at least, I believe I would follow Andrews advise and set this aside for now and start something fresh. Just keep painting and trying new things.

alan53
03-12-2016, 12:25 PM
I like this image, it triggers memories of many, many road trips. It also presents one with the question(s) of what's missing? Why is it bothering me?

My first technical reaction is that it's too flat. Not the perfect farmland kind of flat, the rectangle on the wall kind of flat. I would prefer a greater hint of depth. There are a couple of very light areas at the horizon, if they could be blended into the sky (or vice versa :-) . . . Same with the fields, if the colour value could change ever so little towards the foreground. . .

You say the shadow behind the house is a scan problem. It would be so much easier to contemplate this piece if it was gone.

If you want to continue the impression of a fleeting glimpse, I'd say you're very close. Any large changes will make this a poor landscape. I've played with it a little and already the poor landscape is rearing it's head.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Mar-2016/4521-image.jpeg