PDA

View Full Version : please help re save as paintings

jow104
10-02-2015, 03:46 AM
I am using painter x6 (and other painters)and when I save as a painting in Rif format to a folder it saves ok, no problem.

However when I return to search for the file at a later date I do not see an image of the saved file if I have save as a Rif. but you can see a preview if saved as jpeg. Is this normal or have I not created the correct setup?

Elainepsq
11-30-2015, 04:57 PM
It would help to know what operating system you are working on.
I'm using Mac, OS 10.10.3. I don't use painter anymore, and it isn't loaded on this machine, but when I went into my archives on an external drive, it did preview RIF files. They look really pixelated, but I did get previews in the finder.

jow104
12-01-2015, 03:39 AM
Thanks, I am a PC operator windows 7 pro 64 bit, 1024MB GeForce GT430 card. Painter X6, X5 and X3, 5 & 6 are upgrades.
I am sure that I used to get a preview of saved RIF paintings before opening some time ago.

Thanks for your interest and help.

b'anna
12-12-2015, 04:20 PM
I can't help with windows 7, I have 10 now but it does let me preview the rif if it is med, large or ex large icon.

jman0war
12-12-2015, 05:16 PM
I am using painter x6 (and other painters)and when I save as a painting in Rif format to a folder it saves ok, no problem.

However when I return to search for the file at a later date I do not see an image of the saved file if I have save as a Rif. but you can see a preview if saved as jpeg. Is this normal or have I not created the correct setup?
I wouldn't be worried about it.
Your talking about a "thumbnail" image.
In your case Windows Explorer does not have software that can display a "thumbnail preview" of that type of file.

This is quite normal when you work with a lot of different 3rd programs.
Sketchup included.

As a work around I have used a free program called XnView to view most thumbnails.

I don't know if XnView will display .RIF files though.
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=12126

But it's worth a look.

Actually there's more info here:
http://painterfactory.com/essentials/f/84/t/23161

jow104
12-13-2015, 10:18 AM
Many thanks for that reply and information.

I obviously have rif associated to painter and I did used to get thumbnails for an earlier program.

I will investigate further perhaps through that link.

starduskmoon
12-17-2015, 03:18 PM
I tinkered around with mine as well. I'm not sure if you did what I did (hehe I'm so bad), but sometimes I like to save WIP's of what I was doing so I can remember later. I go to save as and maybe rename it to v1 etc and select it as a jpg. Now on the actual canvas it's not a jpg so I automatically do another save as and take it back to a riff. But sometimes if you're not careful, the document will say "title".jpg (trying to save as a riff) so if you take out the .jpg when trying to save as a riff it works. Hopefully I made sense.

jow104
12-18-2015, 05:00 AM
I tinkered around with mine as well. I'm not sure if you did what I did (hehe I'm so bad), but sometimes I like to save WIP's of what I was doing so I can remember later. I go to save as and maybe rename it to v1 etc and select it as a jpg. Now on the actual canvas it's not a jpg so I automatically do another save as and take it back to a riff. But sometimes if you're not careful, the document will say "title".jpg (trying to save as a riff) so if you take out the .jpg when trying to save as a riff it works. Hopefully I made sense.

Thanks for your idea, screen shot showing a painter saved folder.