PDA

View Full Version : The Goalpost October 2015

robertsloan2
10-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the Goal Post. Goal setting is a very good tool to help people get organized. If you write or post your thoughts, you are more committed and have a better chance of reaching those goals.

Your goals can be short term or long term. They can be daily, weekly, monthly or annual goals. Goals are personal, so everybody's goals will be different. They are your goals, so you can do what ever you want.

Come join the regular gang and get encouragement to help you reach your goals. We have a very friendly group and we are always looking for new people to join us!

Ari Cat purrs at you and sheds Cat Hairs of Inspiration in your general direction!

robertsloan2
10-01-2015, 02:38 PM
And to start off, here's my goals for October:

1) Daily Painting (within 48 hours of the date).
2) Pastel Spotlight
3) Improve my art, especially sketching

Keeping it simple this month. I'd like to focus on sketching a bit as there's this InkTober challenge- that I'm not doing because I also like color and it would wind up putting all my time into pen drawing to succeed at it. But it's there for anyone interested, check out #InkTober about it.

Mij
10-01-2015, 03:19 PM
October 2015 Goals

That looks like an achievable set of goals Robert. I hope you can finish them all.
I have so many things that require my time .....I construct goals monthly but they all get put aside whenever something comes up.....however I will try again.
I need to finish some pictures.
I came across them when rumaging for some Mi-Tiente Touch and some were still ocupying boards. There is at least three of my last JFD's w/shops that lie unfinished along with at least one from Charlie Evans plein aire that was pre-JV! Mght even be a second which suits a pen-n-ink if I can locate it. Those are WC. There is also a pastel that is still unfinished from about 2 or 3 years ago, awaiting the completion of my box and a couple of canvas' oils that halted when family needed attention. I also need to do some more mini's in acrylics and at least one (flower posie) in WMO.
I do have a JFD WC workshop and a Graham Cox pastel workshop this month. The latter wil require an overnight stop as it starts at 10:00 in the morning.
jim

robertsloan2
10-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Wow, sounds good! Looks like you've already looked over what needs finishing and gotten organized. I'm impressed. Yay for workshops! Would be nice getting to go to a pastel workshop even in the morning.

Mij
10-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Would be nice getting to go to a pastel workshop even in the morning.Yes, it starts at 10:00 and goes on 'till 16:00 with a break for lunch obviously.
I am looking forward to it :D.
Jim

Judibelle
10-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Wishing you well, Jim, in completing those unfinished works....should make you feel good to actually finish them...
Rob...you did so well last month...wishing you well again this month. Sounds like you've left yourself some time to breathe...

My goals are simplified also, this month...will do at least one Spotlight, and continue to sketch as I have time each day...(I have a lot of medical appts. coming up, which may interfere...) But I am optimistic that I will succeed.

Norma46
10-01-2015, 04:37 PM
I think I am finally out of the doldrums. I have started an oil painting class with a remarkable local artist (John Schisler... check him out). I just read the October spotlight challenge and plan on painting at least two of the reference photos. My schedule is pretty open this month, so I have no excuses for not making progress on my goals. I am however, going to set the bar low and hope the far surpass my measly goals this month.

ullahennig
10-02-2015, 03:54 AM
My goals for October are also quite simple:
1. Get three paintings done a week (which includes the weekend)
2. watch artistnetwork videos regularly as well as youtube videos
3. practice transfering drawings via transparent papers on watercolour paper which includes doing less abstract paintings
4. still focussing on acrylics.

Mij
10-02-2015, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the well wishes Judi. Good luck with the spotlight.
Like you I can also see a few medical appointment and taxiing jobs on the horizon. I hope you are able to find some time for your art. I do know it comes a poor second to medical emergencies.

Hello Norma. I did look up John Schisler and it looks as if he is strong on still lifes. A still life set up would answer a lot of 'what shall I paint next' questions. Best of luck with them.

Hi Ulla. Good goals there and I hope all goes well this month. You did have a good month in August so perhaps you are set well for this month's. Good luck with the acrylics, I do like them as any mistakes can be rectified in a few minutes after it has dried.

I hope to make a start on the minis with acrylics today medical emergencies apart.
Jim

robertsloan2
10-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Well, started out strong yesterday with a daily drawing for the WDE. Then Skappy got me with a black leopard reference so I know I'll do that cat this weekend. Really tempted to the Spotlight too, love the floral photos and the duck. Not sure yet what I'll do today.

Bill Foehringer
10-03-2015, 02:05 AM
Now that I am back to a 'day job' I will concentrate on being a weekend painter who squeezes in some painting evenings during the week. :crossfingers: Was paid for first time for new job today. Pastel Premier Paper... hmmmm now I know why I went back to work. To heck ;) with the the household bills... I crave paper!!!!!
Really, I had $190 worth of paper in the Cart but came to my senses before pulling out the card. Or did I lose my senses by not ordering more paper....:evil:
Bill

robertsloan2
10-03-2015, 09:28 PM
Oh cool! Pastel Premier Paper is wonderful stuff. I got some samples and loved it, it's great paper. Set a bit aside for paper as you get caught up and look forward to it. I'm planning on getting some of it with the new colors, the ten sheet pack of 9 x 12" sounded good.

Today kept up with third daily painting, a watercolor landscape that started as a foliage experiment. It took some work saving it from a botch but I like it now.

ullahennig
10-04-2015, 05:51 AM
Managing to keep up with painting with acrylics. Here's a butterfly (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20609787&postcount=1)which I uploaded to the Acrylics forum.
I painted it in the last days of September so it doesn't count for October really... I finished another painting yesterday which still waits to be uploaded.
I gave myself permission to buy another tube of Schmincke Acrylics, not the artist grade one, but one level below that. 60ml for 4,20 . Gave it to myself as a present for the hard work week I had...

Mij
10-04-2015, 06:17 AM
That is a beautiful butterfly Ulla and thanks for the link and for sharing. Acrylics makes things so .... so... correctable don't they.
Jim.

Judibelle
10-04-2015, 09:37 AM
I love your butterfly, Ulla. acrylics seem to agree with you....
Rob..You are off to a good start. You've inspired me to try a one-a-day, also...
(kinda cheated on the Spotlight....taking the photo with the jug and fruit, I'm doing a 'piece' at a time....then will try to put it all together in a painting)
Bill...Go for it....then you'll have no excuse to not paint....

robertsloan2
10-05-2015, 12:51 AM
Wow, Ulla! Commented on your dramatic butterfly, it came out so well! Congrats on letting yourself get the Schminke acrylic tube. You're doing great with these!

Day 4 wound up painting twice, so I'm a little ahead of one a day. Got to go up and look at your SPotlight, Judy! I think I'll do the Hibiscus but need to choose the right paper for it.

Congrats on the new job, Bill, hope you can keep making time to paint. Hope it pays decently so you can get good supplies too!

Jim, that's trippy. I don't really think of acrylics as correctable but I suppose they are if opaque. Don't usually make many changes on anything except sometimes with pen on watercolors or vice versa. I think of soft pastels as easiest to make changes with.

Mij
10-05-2015, 07:58 AM
Jim, that's trippy. I don't really think of acrylics as correctable but I suppose they are if opaque. Don't usually make many changes on anything except sometimes with pen on watercolors or vice versa. I think of soft pastels as easiest to make changes with.I make quite a few mistakes as I am much younger (and much less accomplished) than your good self in the interest (even though I am older in years of age :)). I often think, why do I use WC when there are opaque mediums like pastels, oils, gouache and acrylics? I may correct the WC paintings here to finish with acrylic or gouache or even WC pencils :angel::clear::D:wave:.
Jim.

ullahennig
10-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks a lot, Robert, for taking the time to have a look and comment!
Regarding Acrylics:Yesterday I did a bookmark just with various tints of violet, and I found that I could add more lights and darks afterwards, which I find more difficult to do with watermedia. What I had to get used to in acrylics is the amount of water. Some acrylics can be used right out of the tube, and sometimes I get a thick blob of paint on my brush which then makes it difficult to draw /paint details. Some people say that acrylics are easy; for me they were not, and when I first tried them I had the impression that I was useless with them. Watermedia opened the path for me to enjoy them. Strange, isn't it?

Mij
10-05-2015, 03:51 PM
I am having to get used to acrylics and the fact that they dry in between brush strokes with out using my stay-wet palette :angel::lol:. I have not posted the street scene which I did next because it is so awful. So after that I did the bananas which was from the book of minis by Mark D Nelson. Little ways to learn acrylics, 50 small projects to get you started. I have yet to use the brushes that I got for the flowers.....
This was done on Bockingford 140lb CP paper and is 3.75" X 4.5" to go in the miniature forum.
Jim.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2015/69634-mini_bananas.jpg

robertsloan2
10-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Jim, that is really nice. I like the smooth color and volume of the forms. Very effective acrylics on paper used thin like watercolor - which is one thing I could do with mine, perhaps.

Ulla, that sounds fun. Violet often has a deep value range, dioxazine goes nearly to black or all the way to black depending on how much you use. Probably gorgeous, your bookmark.

Yeah, something opaque it would work to paint over a mistake... I just don't usually even try it.

Today's art was three pen sketches for the WDE all on one 7" square page. Much more than just doing one and calling it the day.

Mij
10-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks Robert. The next one was of the church steeple on the hill.
I used the same 24 YO system3 acrylics. Bockingford paper, 4" X 4.5".
jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2015/69634-mini_church_on_a_hill.jpg

Judibelle
10-06-2015, 10:06 AM
WOW...Nice going, Jim! Glad you're enjoying the acrylics! (I did a Spotlight that included bananas and had a terrible time with them!...Just couldn't get them to look lie bananas...)

Mij
10-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Glad you're enjoying the acrylics! (I did a Spotlight that included bananas and had a terrible time with them!...Just couldn't get them to look lie bananas...)Thanks for stopping by Judi. Are my 'L' plates showing?:angel::lol:.
I had problems with this and unanswered questions kept on popping up. Like more water makes it run into awkward places.......but it is less opaque and doesn't cover mistakes....... what shall I do- give it two coats? :confused:. And of course a few more.
jim

Mij
10-06-2015, 12:35 PM
I am rocketing along with my twenty third miniature from this book. It is a landscape :wave:. It is the same System3 acrylics on Bockingford 14lb paper and is 3.5" X 4.5".
jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2015/69634-mini_river.jpg

ullahennig
10-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Jim, I like your landscapes and the bananas! What I found out about opaqueness is that some Acrylic paints are and some not. I watched a video on youtube where the artist first used some white paint and then the paint she really wanted to use on top of that white. I also found out that with the Schmincke college brand I could use the paint almost straight out of the tube (after dipping the brush into the water first). It wasn't blobby at all - same with some Schmincke acrylics. I could even mix them on the paper like oil paint.
Here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20613648&postcount=1)is the bookmark I did with a leftover piece of watercolour paper. I used Schmincke college acrylic paint.

robertsloan2
10-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Love that landscape, Jim. Beautiful work. I'd guess a double coat of the acrylics might help or opaquing a transparent color with just a little white or any opaque color.

Ulla, had a look at your bookmark, it's beautiful. Very full of motion, good title too.

Haven't painted or drawn yet today, still considering what to do. Tomorrow's my clinic visit so that's pretty obviously going to be pen and watercolor with whatever's in my pockets.

ullahennig
10-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Thanks very much, Robert, for your comment! I just want to mention how much you inspire me! I love to read your posts here - they are so full of "the fire of art"!

Mij
10-06-2015, 02:42 PM
That is a beautiful blend of colours Ulla. A really smart bookmark.
The ones I am using up are the acrylics I got before I moved over here so I know they are greater than 24 years old. These are runny - sort of but I do have to shake them up to get them out of their container. I have a limited palette of the warm and cold of the three primaries plus black and white. The white is finished and I am having to use my tubes which are thicker.
Never mind, it's all good practice :thumbsup:. The only one to be transparent enough to not cover a dark is as one might expect, a yellow.
jim

Mij
10-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Love that landscape, Jim. Beautiful work. I'd guess a double coat of the acrylics might help or opaquing a transparent color with just a little white or any opaque color. I tried that addition of white trick with the yellow and it didn't work. Perhaps I used the wrong white. I may have done.

Haven't painted or drawn yet today, still considering what to do. Tomorrow's my clinic visit so that's pretty obviously going to be pen and watercolor with whatever's in my pockets. I do hope you do some penwork. I used to like it at school and did some very early on in drawing.

I'm thinking of doing a rather fiddley street scene of Cavisham that I drew with pencil whilst on a Charles Evans course, with pen 'n ink. I have not done any pen work for yonks. I have a dip pen and Indian ink...... but fear upsetting it :eek:. Perhaps I'll stick to the fibre tips :angel::clear:.
jim

robertsloan2
10-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Jim, if you're nervous about it test the dip pen and ink on some scrap first, just a little detail of the whole. I've grit my teeth and made myself use the difficult Pentel brush pen, so now after three months of it I'm getting somewhere.

Did yesterday's art this morning, the Emu from the Watermedia Challenge. Sketched in pen with the difficult brush pen without pencil, actually got it, starting to really get a feel for how to get the very fine lines. Love it more the better I get with it.

Mij
10-08-2015, 01:30 PM
I'll try that Robert, I think I know where I stashed it. I'll look for it in a minute.
SWMBO has hydrotherapy on Thursdays so I took my sketching bag. Did the reception area of the hydrotherapy and Physio dept. A bit of practice in perspective.....
A5 W&N sketch-book and inktense coloured pencils where there is a bit of colour. Done on a page so is 5 X 7.
jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2015/69634-hydrotherapy_reception.jpg

ullahennig
10-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Jim, I like your sketch - and the perspective's very good!

Mij
10-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Thanks Ulla, I did brush up the perspective at home :lol:. It needed it :wink2:.
jim

Mij
10-08-2015, 06:01 PM
I got out the pen 'n ink after we had returned. I have done three so I'll put them up here if no one objects.
This is Wordsworth house that I drew in graphite when in Blancathra with Alan Goodall about 4/5 years ago. I did mean to paint it but never got around to it.
It was graphite on 140lb Bockingford. 14" X 11" now cropped to 8.5" X 6", the rest was given over to foliage.
jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2015/69634-wordsworth_house.jpg

Judibelle
10-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Very impressive, Jim....I like them both very much.

Mij
10-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Thank you Judi. Now I see them on screen I see that I have 'belled it out' at the top. I was thinking that it was the fault of the projector which I used on the first one I did, 'Cavisham'. But I did not project this one. They are both plein aires done by myself so I was being lazy and not bothering to redraw. I think it is the first time I have used the projector here at home. I got it when Valerie Stewart came across a few years back to do portraits.
My original graphite drawing is much better in each of these pen 'n inks.
jim

robertsloan2
10-08-2015, 11:16 PM
Jim, love the perspective sketch of hydrotherapy area! Looking good! Your rural sketch does angle out toward the top, a little more than your apparent viewpoint would justify - it's like 3 point perspective. All the verticals angle toward another vanishng point, which creates a bird's eye perspective. Not far off and it is consistent, you could do it again with a higher point of view like seeing it from on top of a hill. Unless you did that because you looked at it from a hilltop and just followed what you saw!

Wordsworth's house would make a great painting in pastel, just saying! Love both of these sketches and they're both good workable ones, though the corridor scene would benefit from some figures in it for a painting. Well done!

Purr, did today's art from yesterday's pencil sketches at clinic waiting room. Yesterday was a whopper with three artworks done, made up the missing day within 48 hours and then extra and on top of that penciled today's. Today the weather turned painful so I didn't do more than ink yesterday's sketches, but still keeping up on daily art.

That 48 hour rule may help me stay steady with it. Much better than just blowing off sick days since it gets me staying on track and the effort of double sketching afterwards can lead to more, breaks the habit of "oh did today's art, that's done" thing if I was up to more.

Mij
10-09-2015, 04:16 AM
The 48 hour rule must be good if it allows you to stay on track Robert. It is considering the limits of the peeps involved. Well done for keeping with it.

I do not know why both drawings angled out at the top. The first one I did was Caversham, I have looked it up online and they have a similar view as a photograph. On the photo it shows a memorial for the WW. I just cannot remember seeing that there at all and it was only 5 years ago. Also a telephone box, I can see why they would be left out but not why I forgot them. Senior moments?!!! And time goes so fast, 5 years ago? Another couple of my 'To be completed' paintings is from then as well.

I should explain that following a certain artist on WetCanvas I used a sharpened half of a dolly peg as the drawing instrument. Hence the thicker lines.
This pen 'n ink of Caversham is also on Bockingford 140lb, Indian ink and dolly peg pen. Paper is scanner size, A4. I have included My original plein aire drawing as that exhibits no angling out at the top.
jim.
PS I projected this pen 'n ink one.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2015/69634-Cavisham.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2015/69634-redrawn_cavendish_full_size.jpg

Mij
10-09-2015, 12:54 PM
I am wondering if I should put these up here? 4 of them are WC, and at least one is pastel. Some maybe acrylic......... can't remember the rest. Oh there are a couple of charcoal portraits that I have left as we left the class. They are all this month's goals though, yes I am getting them done :thumbsup:.
Jim.

robertsloan2
10-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Oh these are great! Glad to see you working on those unfinished pieces! Love the scene you did with the dolly peg pen and the new version is so striking. Looks like that big tree on the left had some tree surgery and is growing back its crown now.

Posted today's art - painted the Velociraptor that I drew back on the 7th. Forgot I even did him, but have now given him lots of good rich color.

OK, posting even though he's pen and ink. I like seeing yours, might as well share my best paleo art yet!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2015/70184-10-9-2015_Velociraptor.jpg
Velociraptor (feathered small predatory dinosaur)
from Emu photo by hugashrimp for Watermedia Challenge 10-2015.
Pentel brush pen and watercolor on S&B Delta journal, 7" square.

Mij
10-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Very colourful Robert. You have nice flowing lines that follow the contours of its bodyline. I don't think I could do art like that but it is lovely to see :thumbsup:.
Jim.

chuas2
10-09-2015, 06:55 PM
I really like your sketches, Jim! And waiting? Perfect place to do some "doodling" and maybe a bit more!

COOL Velociraptor Robert! Scary, but very, very well done. I love the boldness, and audacious color you use in all of your work. Admire those qualities too!
:clap:

robertsloan2
10-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Wow, thank you! I've been watching dinosaur series for all my life, fascinated with the reconstructions. Finally starting to get it! I guess they're not scary to me because deep down I know they're extinct?

ullahennig
10-10-2015, 04:51 AM
I very much enjoy the pieces of art which are uploaded here - Jim's sketches which impressed me quite a lot, and Robert's velociraptor. I feel encouraged to show you my last painting - the black swan. It's acrylics on acrylic paper, and I don't think it's good enough to be shown at the Acrylics forum. But the atmosphere here is so friendly and encouraging that I dare to upload it.
Without further ado, here it is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2015/984492-black-swan.jpg

Mij
10-10-2015, 05:08 AM
Cooo, Ulla, my favourite colour is orange. Whether a red, yellow or a pure orange gets my vote every time. Here the orange sky silhouettes the swan beautifully. Lovely indeed :thumbsup:.
jim.

Mij
10-10-2015, 07:47 AM
Here is the next one we did on location (plein aire?) with Charles Evans about March/April 2010 ( time flies) and was the same time I did the Cavendish drawing. It was a graphite drawing of the war memorial and the surrounding buildings. Has anyone been to Lavenham? It is where the crooked man built his crooked house :lol::lol::lol:. Look it up online :lol::lol::lol:.
I just went over it with half a dolly peg sharpened to a point, and Indian ink....hmmmm says he, the black ink has gone from my fingers and it is supposed to be unwashable. The paper is Bockingford 11" X 14" cold press.
jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2015/69634-war_memorial_Lavenham.jpg

Dougwas
10-10-2015, 06:03 PM
I have enjoyed looking at everybody's art work! All these different styles and media shows that we all have a way of showing our own creativity and we are luckier than people that just have thoughts, but won't put them down on paper or canvas.

I have done a little bit of painting here and there, but I haven't started back to my daily routine. I am fully recovered from the flu, but it took about ten days before I was feeling like my old self. My back and sciatica pain has seemed to recede and I just started reading a book my wife suggested and it is already helping me deal with life. So, I guess it's time to get back at it!

My goals for October:

1) Work on the watercolor course for two hours a day, five days a week.
2) Paint two paintings in any media.

That's it. I am taking things slowly for the rest of the month and see what I can realistically expect.

Take care everyone. I hope you are all being creative!

Doug

Mij
10-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Hi Doug. Good to hear from you. Also the good news that the flue and pain is receding.

Those look like goals that you can reach so good on you. I hope you do.
I agree about peeps not having art or anything creative going on in their lives. A great shame and waste.

I am just looking through the pile in my cupboard that contains my past work that didn't make it to bin 13. You know 'I'll do something with that some day'! And of course you never do unless you contribute to 'Goals' on WC :wave::lol:.
Jim.

robertsloan2
10-10-2015, 08:45 PM
Doug, great to have you back! Good goals, keep it simple. You're doing fantastic for having been so far out of it on health issues.

Jim, love the latest pen drawing. Nice perspective and looks recognizably a particular corner with that war memorial so prominent. I take it the building on the left is the crooked house built by a crooked man so he could keep his not so crooked cat from running outside in the street?

Ari caught a crooked mouse last week, it was limping badly. Dead by the second time I saw it. Limp may have been caused by Ari but I wasn't fast enough to catch it and put it outside the building. He put it right by my chair and pointed at it repeatedly so I wouldn't miss it. "See, Dad? I'm on the job. No mice here in our room."

Most times the mice don't even come in, but this one must have had a stuffed nose to begin with not noticing "Cat Lives Here."

Painted today, just a quick monochrome brown scene n my art journal with Burnt Umber W&N Watercolour Marker. I love those for art on days I'm not up to serious detail, it's possible to work so fast and bold with them. Still keeping up on the daily art!

Mij
10-11-2015, 07:17 AM
Another that I did whilst with CE was on this site. I cannot remember now what it was but I remember the view. Well it was in 2010 and memory is not what it once was. It all looked rather flat to me and was early in my water colouring in :(.
Jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2015/69634-farm.jpg

robertsloan2
10-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Nice perspective but I can see why it looked flat to you, the ground plane is flat rather than gradated lighter-bluer in the distance and the big tree is a bit awkward, leaning away while branches point inward and down. If this is a place portrait and it was doing that, can see why you did. love the perspective and the big tree behind the buildings, that really works.

Mij
10-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Thanks Robert. As I said it was early'ish in my art journey :lol:, now I can see why. I do have full intention of completing these when I get home but there is always a lot to do and my attention is taken away from art. It gets tidied away and 'out of sight' means 'out of mind' to me, a single focussed male...
:lol:. They were all good views that Charles took us to, but insufficient time for me to watercolour them.

The next one that I will show SWMBO doesn't like, and I have to finish. It is a watercolour but is before I saw any of JF webinars. The trees are lolly-poppish :lol:. Well what do you expect from a raw recruit? :lol:.
jim

robertsloan2
10-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Exactly, my landscapes before Johannes Classes and after were so different. Actually a few other classes too the year before Jo - Charlie's color class and Deborah Secor's Snow class.

This one, you could turn that field into a gradient plane warmer at the near edge by glazing Quinacridone Gold over the grass strong at the bottom edge to clear water at the end where it turns bluish. That'd give it better near color and as Quin Gold leans orange, mute it a little in foreground but it'd look real.

It has a lot going for it and looks so very British, love the shape of the big tree behind the house, the whole has some lovely shapes and sense of distance. Good perspective.

Curious to see the one your wife doesn't like. It might change a lot while being finished. You could always go to some gouache in the reworking if some of the changes are drastic.

Mij
10-11-2015, 05:05 PM
Ooops! The time is running out on me. My sisters birthday is November 1st so is 20 or so days to go. If the one done in oils is better then I want it to be really dry first. I had better get a move on with them tomorrow.
Jim.

robertsloan2
10-11-2015, 11:11 PM
Oh good! Yeah, better to finish soon!

Did today's art with the brush pen and watercolors again. Still not up to more pasteling but soon.

ullahennig
10-13-2015, 03:50 AM
Just popping in to say that I finished another acrylic painting yesterday. I actually managed not to give up but to finish it in a way I can live with.

robertsloan2
10-13-2015, 12:39 PM
That rocks, Ulla! Way cool. I did yesterday's art (12th) with brush pen and watercolors again, another WDE sketch. This time it was the little bird on the bush. Not placed well, could add something else on the page but maybe not, can't thnk of anything small and light or vertical enough for it.

Unless I draw the brush pen itself... that's a thought!

ullahennig
10-13-2015, 01:56 PM
I posted the finished acrylic painting over in the Abstract and Contemporary forum. You can see it here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20620307&postcount=1).
It is my first "big" painting (big meaning DIN A 4 = size of one sheet of copy paper). In the middle of the painting process I thought I'd never make it - but I didn't give up.

Mij
10-13-2015, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the link Ulla, that makes it so much easier. You have used complimentary colours as well which makes for a very striking piece. Well done :thumbsup:.
jim

Norma46
10-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Making some progress toward October goals. I have posted two paintings to the October spotlight challengeon shapes. I am continuing with my oil painting lessons with John Schisler and learning glazing and layering techniques. I should have the first painting from his class completed. I may post it here as I see people are posting works in the pastel forum that amuse other mediums.:

robertsloan2
10-14-2015, 01:49 AM
Very cool painting, Ulla! Commented over there, thanks for the link!

Today I did draw and ink the pocket brush pen, then did the facing page with life sketches and paintings of a pear and the porcelain flower palette with the watercolors. Makes a nice spread. Played with using the brush pen for text, which is a little rough but legible.

robertsloan2
10-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Yesterday caught up for missing the 14th, today need to catch up yesterday. Painted Ari with white whiskers! Up in Watermedia and in my art journals thread.

robertsloan2
10-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Not on this month's goals but carried forward from last month. Cut another 10 sheets of Canson Mi-Tientes and rearranged how the cut sheets are stored. Found some bug damage on some pieces to my great annoyance, but the pieces on the clip board were ok except the top one so put a sheet of tracing paper on that and hte formerly loose pieces into a zip lock bag.

Arrgh so mad about the bugs. Hotel has done nothing even to reduce them. Grr. Very frustrating.

This was not stuff home care could help with because it was handling art supplies, have had too much trouble with home carers bending or creasing good paper, cleaning in ways that spilled pastels or paint, and rearranging everything to make supplies inaccessible and irrelevant stuff handy.

robertsloan2
10-16-2015, 11:13 PM
Four sketches today got me all caught up even if they're not my best. They're sketches and I split them into two groups on a large page. So caught up and did today and a bit more.

ullahennig
10-17-2015, 04:19 AM
Sorry to hear about the bugs, Robert!
Had to work very long hours this week and felt exhausted after work. Not much art done. Got a new acrylic painting but have to scan and upload it. Missed my Friday blog posting. The new website of the Berlin University of the Arts will be launched on Tuesday, and there's still a lot to be done. Hope to find time for art on this weekend.

ullahennig
10-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Here's (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20624037&postcount=1) the painting I mentioned.

robertsloan2
10-17-2015, 10:19 AM
Cool! Thanks for posting the link!

Today I went back to pastels and did the Spotlight black eyed susans. Came out loose and interesting in Rembrandts on Mi-Tientes. After all that cutting it was nice to use some of the paper!

Mij
10-17-2015, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the link Ulla, colourfull and bright. The anologous colour scheme works rather well.
Jim

Mij
10-18-2015, 04:26 AM
A goal was achievd yesterday, I attended a day workshop with JFD in Findon hall and we did a watercolour entitled 'Autumn Lake'. It was a little bit different to last year's but along the same theme. Last year's remains to be finished as I did the tree line in the distance much too dark and it needs lifting out. This year's is along the same tradition in that I did not finish it completely :lol:. I need to remove some masking fluid and paint in some leaves.
A week on Tuesday I have a pastel w/shop with Graham Cox which is another one of October's goals. As he lives in Wiltshire and starts at 10:00 I will have to go down on the Monday before.
Jim

ullahennig
10-18-2015, 07:52 AM
Thank you very much, Jim and Robert! Due to a very hard work week I had to reduce the number of paintings. However I did the blogpost which was due on Friday on Saturday, and I decided to do a bit of colouring with my neocolor II watersoluble wax crayons. Here's the result:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2015/984492-butterfly-purple.jpg The lineart has been taken from pinterest.

Mij
10-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Those are very lovely colours Ulla. Striking indeed. I do not use any social media at all so I am unable to look for the page that is on or from.
Jim

robertsloan2
10-19-2015, 12:10 AM
Colorful butterfly, Ulla! Like the harmony. Very cool!

Painted Croggers the cat in Graphitints and wash for WDE, then did a tree shape and shadow direction demo with Tombow brush pen that was letter size. Cool sketching large for a change.

Mij
10-19-2015, 05:37 AM
Robert, there is so much not completed in the next one, but I think it really needs to go in the WC page/forum. It is not a demonstration in the course but it was a plein aire of mine done in the middle of the CE course.
I do need some C&C to finish it but would feel guilty putting the before and after here.
I do not really feel comfortable putting it anywhere else. Unless I send it direct to you? As I said previously, it is pre JV.
Jim.

robertsloan2
10-20-2015, 11:33 PM
Oh go ahead and message it to me then. Or put it in the forum. Will give C & C on it - yes show before and after. JV has affected my critique on everything. I see it everywhere.

Been keeping up on daily, that's been really good.

Mij
10-21-2015, 04:20 AM
Ok Robert and thanks very much. It is good that you have been able to keep up on the dailies :thumbsup:. I know how difficult it must be having to cope with the necessary and do art as well. Sometimes it has to be one or the other - and that is SWMBO.
I did try 'cutting up the contours' and/or 'bashing up the boundaries' on this plein aire with some acrylic paint some time ago, but it was half hearted and feint heart won over :lol::lol::lol:.
I'll send it to you then I'll try to modify it in the light of the C&C and put it here. I do have a few others to get on with as well :angel::clear::lol:.
Oils, pastel, charcoal, acrylic and WC. The graphite ones I have inked over.
Jim.

Mij
10-21-2015, 09:22 AM
This was last Saturday's exercise, Autumn Lake with Joe Francis Dowden at Findon.
As per usual I did not complete it on the day and have done so today. Joe's demonstration painting was much better than this but hey I console myself because this is only a hobby :angel::clear::lol:.
jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Oct-2015/69634-autumn_lake.jpg

robertsloan2
10-21-2015, 08:18 PM
Oh fun! Looking forward to it!

As for this one - WOW! Love it. The very close foreground area is a little spotty, the grasses seem to edge the verge like a planting, a JV thing would be to expand some of the dark patches and combine them to reduce the number of little contrasty things. Or just do it the easy way and reduce contrast with a transparent ochre or umber to knock down the value of the lights, that'd leave it looking more like gravel.

But that's a small nit to pick on a splendid spacious deep water landscape. Sure the teacher designed it but you painted it well! Beautiful! No other errors.

Kept up today with a pen drawing of a tree with a made-up background that set it off well. I'm getting practice designing landscapes with these things.

And in other news I overheard the Chicago Cubs going to the World Series.

Mij
10-22-2015, 11:42 AM
I have looked through the drawing pages I monitor Robert and cannot see your work anywhere. Have you posted them at all? I know that you use other pages as well.
Here is the pastel I said I was going to post. It is supposed to be good King Wenceslas and his page venturing out in the bitter weather. Duke Wenceslaus was elevated to King for his piety by the Holy Roman Emporer Otto 1 in the tenth century. Without thinking things through I gave them modern roads and landscape tidiness. It should have been a rocky and muddy/slushy rough track. I suppose a close cropping to the figures might make it believable.
This did not need finishing, it was just languishing in the pile.
Jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Oct-2015/69634-Good_King_Wenceslas_and_his_Page.jpg

robertsloan2
10-23-2015, 08:38 PM
Oh, it fits the story! Who cares about authenticity? It doesn't look as if a snowplow's been there. Landscape tidiness and neat-edged road doesn't break the story - not if Romans were ever in the area anyway! The sense of bitter winter is strong and clear. This would work so well as a card. Though not one with space for caption, that'd have to be printed above the art rather than on it, or inside the card. Maybe one of those cards with a little button that does the carol instrumental.

Did two abstract pen drawings today, need to go post them in Pen and Ink too. I don't post these in the Drawing thread, all my art goes into Rob's 2015 Sketches (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20630402#post20630402) in the Art Journals forum. Forgot to XP to Pen and Ink even though those abstracts are pen drawings.

Mij
10-24-2015, 05:09 AM
Thanks Robert and thanks for the link. Your sketch book is full of lovely drawings and is a lovely record of your journey :thumbsup:. It will be great to look back on. It is a true record of your personal efforts. It seems those markers were made for you.
Thanks for the C&C on the card image.
I do go for the pastel w/shop on Monday and will be back Tuesday evening all being well.
This is one of those class exercises that teach loved to give us. A still life of curtains, really just some cloths draped over an open door and a chair it seems - can't remember what.....
It must have been acrylic on paper (had to carry it back in the car from the class venue), A4 scanner size.
jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Oct-2015/69634-curtains_in_acrylcs.jpg

Mij
10-24-2015, 10:21 PM
I have just put a 'Thai lady fishing from a sampan' up in the watercolour gallery on The page
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391014
Let's hope you can find it ok. I know now that the colour I chose to correct it was too different but I am learning :D.
jim

Norma46
10-25-2015, 02:22 PM
One of my goals for October was to take classes from John Schisler, a local artist here in Delaware. Here is my first painting with him. It is 8 x10 oil on canvasboard.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Oct-2015/1893196-Schisler_1.jpg

Mij
10-25-2015, 03:24 PM
That looks lovely Norma. Very striking colours and highlights.
jim

robertsloan2
10-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Cool watercolor painting, Jim. Love the one with the fabrics too, that's very effective. I like how you did that gauzy lookng one.

Norma, gorgeous oil painting. Good textures and blending especialy on the grapes.

Did tree demo yesterday, today a different tree demo without foliage. Still playing with Tombow pens.

Mij
10-26-2015, 04:04 AM
Cool watercolor painting, Jim. Love the one with the fabrics too, that's very effective. I like how you did that gauzy looking one Thank you Robert. I remember surprising myself with that one. I don't remember doing folds in cloth before so I was surprised when I stood back from this and saw it a few feet away. It was a couple of years ago now but is the first time of being aired I think, so to speak.
jim

Mij
10-26-2015, 04:37 AM
Cor, today is the 26th and the last day of the month is Saturday. Doesn't time go fast.
I'm away on another goal (pastel workshop with GC in Wilts) later today and tomorrow and I have sis's b/day card to paint and post on Wednesday. I will have to get a move on.
I will not finish all of the incompleted paintings but may do so over the next month, well it has been enjoyable. The trouble is there are so many of them :eek:!
jim

robertsloan2
10-27-2015, 02:33 PM
Gorgeous results! I love it when something works like that, I think it's awful then stand up and it pops.

Good progress on the uncompleted paintings! In some ways those can be harder than startin new ones, cool idea to carry it over.

Didn't paint much yesterday, have an uncomplete page not photographed and really need to think of something cool to do with it. And do something for today too. But it's still early, I'll probably manage. Would be great if 48 Hour rule gives me a complete month!

ullahennig
10-27-2015, 03:11 PM
I love everyone's pieces shown here. The new website is online now and I hope I 'll have a bit more time to participate here.
One thing I did in addition to the watermedia butterfly is this painting:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Oct-2015/984492-knights-tent.jpg
It has a strange story: in the beginning I wanted to paint a diamond in different shades of blue. However I forgot that in order to do that you have to add white to your blue and then add green. hmm. No diamond. Then the whole thing began to develop into something which reminded me of these medieval tents for knights and nobility. So I called it "The knight's tent". But when I looked at it it reminded me of a knight's helmet... So it is a bit warped, and I would not want to show it outside this forum...

Mij
10-27-2015, 06:44 PM
Hi Ulla, well done on the knights tent. Very colourful and in keeping with the era with the flag (presumably the knight's colours) flying in the breeze.
jim

Mij
10-27-2015, 06:57 PM
I did complete a goal today. I made the trip to Yarnbrook, Trowbridge in Wiltshire to a workshop with Graham Cox. We did two pictures. The snowy mountain scene in the morning and the field with trees in the afternoon. The trip back was rather slow as there was speed restrictions on the A303 and the M3. Also it was the rush hour by the time I got to the ring road of the M5. The satnav re-routed me 3 times during the journey because of delays, like accidents and congestion.
I have posted the 2 paintings in a thread called a pastel workshop.
It can be found here I hope :crossfingers:.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/newthread.php
C&C is appreciated.
jim
PS Edited to say that doesn't work. Let's try this....
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391200
Ah that's better beer out of the same barrel.

robertsloan2
10-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Nicely done on the knight's tent! Echoes of the diamond too, good sense of volume and shape to it.

Jim, commented on your workshop pastels, excellent!

Painted yesterday, watermedia, made up for day before, then painted Teo the WDE cat, then one more sketch of an owl. Still going daily with that 48 hour rule not losing days.

Mij
10-28-2015, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the C&C robert. I enjoy looking around and seeing what everyone produces. It is all so wonderfully different and enjoyable, sometimes it is difficult to stop reading and start doing. I also enjoy all the mediums as well. So I read a lot of posts and look at a lot of images. Perhaps I should be doing more :lol:.
jim

ullahennig
10-28-2015, 02:54 PM
Thank you, Robert and Jim! It is almost time to look back at the month and to review my goals. Considering the amount of daily work i had to deal with I did a reasonable job. There were only two days or so when I didn't do any artsy things at all.

Norma46
10-28-2015, 03:21 PM
I finished these two paintings from my oil painting class with John Schisler. I am making decent progress on my goals for October, but time is running out.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2015/1893196-Schisler_2.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Oct-2015/1893196-Schisler_3_a.jpg

Mij
10-28-2015, 08:26 PM
Aren't gourds etc. so colourful! And such interesting shapes to boot. You did a nice job by these. Are they edible? Or are they grown for art peeps to draw and paint? I do know that some peeps hollowed them out and used the 'shell' as a vessel for drinking etc.
I did manage to do a card for my next elder sister. It is her birthday on Sunday the first day of next month. I did want to do a miniature canvas but time and commitments intervened so a card (my own printed one of course) it was. I will do some more towards the backlog of unfinished images tomorrow either side of taking SWMBO to hydrotherapy.
jim

Mij
10-29-2015, 05:12 PM
I did a miniature this evening. I did the nocturne street scene from MD Nelson's book 'Little Ways To Learn Acrylics'. I found it very difficult to follow and ended up trying it with Derwent inktens pencils. It wasn't good :(, I did a terrible version in acrylic.
it is here post no 222
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378301&page=6
jim

robertsloan2
10-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Norma, what a beautiful tangerine! The other painting is good too but what grabs me is that tangerine. You got the feel of its textures and peel so right.

Jim, commented on your nocturne, it gets bright like that on snowy winter nights in Chicago or the Twin Cities, gets very bright. Great accents of red and sense of cold damp weather!

Sketched a rose yesterday, painted it today, then did today's with a sketch of a broken tree. Both on my Art Journals thread. But here is the pretty Blue Rose. I did one in colored pencils once that became my most stolen onlne work of art, lifetime. Everyone commented on it. Wan to know if it was something about that piece or the subject!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2015/70184-10-29-2015_Blue_Rose_Watercolor.jpg
Blue Rose
5 1/2" square
American Journey watercolor on large Moleskine watercolor journal

Judibelle
10-30-2015, 08:33 AM
You all have done so very well this month....I'm so impressed with the paintings everyone have done!

I have fallen behind, again....too much family stuff to attend to. My hubby has been ill, and that has thrown everything off for me...

Optimistically looking forward to next month....

robertsloan2
10-30-2015, 01:03 PM
JudiB, life happens. It's hard to keep up with art when someone you love needs attention and their trouble is so important. Health problems can crash any other plans. Yay for your optimism, sounds like he may be more stable or getting better. Hope so!

My goals for this month are going better than I thought!

1) Daily Painting (within 48 hours of the date).
2) Pastel Spotlight
3) Improve my art, especially sketching

I think my sketches have been improving, the 48 hour rule worked and I haven't lost one day irretrievably. Instead of losing days I've done maybe half a dozen "day later" paintings or sketches - often begun on the day I meant to do them and finished later, like the Blue Rose that I did yesterday.

Two more and I'll finally have a clean sweep month! Glad I kept it that easy though because the bad November weather is early and I've got life stuff starting that will drain my energy and resources.

Judibelle
10-30-2015, 08:31 PM
Thanks, Rob....I spent the day at the hospital where Hubby was taken this morning. Now he's on the way to a VA Spinal Hospital, where he will remain for a while, to heal a serious wound. So as I regain my strength and enthusiasm, I am looking forward to being able to PAINT next month!

robertsloan2
10-30-2015, 11:43 PM
Oh good! So he's getting what he needs and you have painting time! That rocks!

Painted again today, a pretty cool white horse even if i got a knee wrong and got corrected by Kitten the Farrier, who really knows horse anatomy like I do cats. i remember her drawing hooves and ankles at all angles when she was studying for horse shoeing. It's like being a veterinarian with a specialty. So I'll keep on with that same photo in different media and try doing just the knee by itself next.

Oh heck, I'll share it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2015/70184-10-30-2015_White_Horse.jpg
White Horse
5 1/2" x 3"
Pigma Micron size 02 and watercolor (Lukas 1862)
Large Moleskine Watercolor Journal, photo by daughter Kitten's permission.

One more and I will have made it through October without losing even one day using that 48 hour rule. It really helped!

ullahennig
10-31-2015, 05:43 AM
Robert, your horse is beautiful even with the knee! I love the head, and the shading.
I gave myself permission to buy additional PITT Artist Brush pens, and here's the same butterfly I did with acrylics, but this time with those brush pens:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Oct-2015/984492-butterfly-brushpen.jpg
The butterfly's body is not anatomically correct - much too big, however I had fun with the colours. I did the background with stabilos 68 pens - this time dry - and I did the painting/drawing on drawing cardboard.

Mij
10-31-2015, 07:45 AM
Aren't gourds etc. so colourful!
Ooooops! I apologise. I had been looking at someones beautiful gourds and had not switched the brain across. Oh woe is me.....getting too many senior moments.
I should have said what lovely vegatables. They look juicy and ripe for eating. I thought I'd done this post once or more, must have pressed the wrong button :(.
jim

Mij
10-31-2015, 07:55 AM
A much better horse than I'd do Robert, and I'd have to trace mine to get anywhere near anything horse like :lol::lol::lol:.

Some vibrant colours in you butterfly Ulla and not being a lepidoterist I would not know that the body is disproportinal to the rest of it.
jim

robertsloan2
10-31-2015, 10:17 AM
Ulla, gorgeous! I love those Pitt Artist Pens, they are so much fun! They make Big Brush ones too in the same range of colors. The body of your butterfly isn't out of proportion necessarily, I have seen some with that wing-body ratio. It varies quite a lot and yours is an imaginary species. Beautiful color and intensity. Like the overlap hue at the bottom of the background red patch, that's very effective, sense of motion soaring into evening. Well done!

One more day and I've actually accomplished all my goals for October! November's a bit dicey with an ambitious Nanowrimo but I'm glad I kept it simple. If I draw anything today it's a perfect month, made all goals. I might do an easy little sketch just to cross the line and then relax and do whatever else comes later.

Pen and watercolor's easy for me since I started out as a kid penciling first and then pen drawing, sometimes coloring it. That's easier than watercolor or pen sketching without the pencil, I make my corrections at the pencil stage. But it's practice makes easy, have been doing pencil then ink since age 5. I'd hope 55 years of it helped the quality! Pastel came later but pastel's so much fun, instant gratification.

ullahennig
10-31-2015, 01:16 PM
Thank you, Jim and Robert!
I just had a look at the goals I wrote down at the beginning of the month. I digressed a bit from the acrylics, doing some watermedia pieces and - at the end of the month - some paintings/drawings with the PITT brush pens. The reason for that is mostly the amount of preparation and putting away time with the acrylics. I try to wash out my brushes with liquid soap very carefully, and as I am doing art in my living room I have to put some newspapers on the table before putting the acrylic paint palette and the others things on it. Painting or drawing with the PITT pens doesn't take any prep time. But I feel more at home with the acrylics now, which is good.
As to transfering the drawings to the "real" paper I am using transparent paper to trace them and put graphite on the back of it. At some spots the lines are very weak, so it is also a practice for my drawing skills.

Mij
10-31-2015, 08:08 PM
October 2015 Goals
Well done Ulla. It matters not to have deviated from what you forecast. You did some lovely and colourful images I also understand the beauty of having a medium that does not require an age to prepare and clean up after. I do this for my out door sketching where I use inktense pencils and a waterbrush. Everything goes into a little bag meant for the US armed forces to carry there personal items. Just right for outdoors work.
Robert, you did very well to keep up to the goal you set yourself :) 30 sketches in as many days was it? Monitoring as we went along everyone did well so congrats all.

I haven't finished all of the images I have but have done some mainly inking over the graphite outdoor drawings I have done on courses ( Charles Evans in 2010 and Alan Goodall at Blancathra FSC venue). And the Thai fishing lady in a sampan(JFD w/shop).
I managed 7 minis in all - 4 acrylic, 1 W&N WMO, 1 Cobra WMO and 1 Inktense pencils.
I did a JFD watercolour workshop.
A GC pastel w/shop in Wilts (2 pastel images) and some experimentation to find suitable brushes and media for the mini paintings WRT the flowers in WMO's.
Jim