GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: red trees
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 36x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
I just finished an online lesson download, I have used some different techniques for the trees, etc which I find easier and more detailed.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
However, I need comment on the colouring of the grass and the shadowing - somehow something seems off but cannot figure it out. I know the trees need more black on the back side (which we are looking at).

TerryCurley
09-30-2015, 09:07 PM
I love the colors and find the painting very appealing. I think the color of the grass is fine if you like it. But I do find the lay of the land confusing. Is the foreground on a hill? The trees in the background are bare and the ones in the foreground are in full leaf. I also think the brightness coming into the forest is a bit overwhelming, but that could be the reflection of the flash from the camera, it has happened to me.

Andrewcody
10-01-2015, 02:29 AM
Interesting curved shadows
Regards
Andrew

naglel
10-01-2015, 08:31 AM
This is really well done, reminds me of Tom Gagnon's "Misty Forest". I admire his work and would have,at first glance, thought it was one of his!
This could all be camera issues but I agree the light could be toned down a little ..where the light hits the grass along the back edge it appears white, Perhaps try a lighter grass color rather than white, gives more depth.
The interest in the painting in my mind would be the pop of the color from the trees and grass, so ...perhaps toning down the back light or upping the intensity of color in the grass/trees?

Robincat
10-01-2015, 11:05 AM
thanks for your comments/. and yes you recognized Tim Gagnon, he just left teaching in Toronto Canada and unfortunately I could not make the classes but downloaded one of his lessons instead. I appreciate your comments, I think I will rework the white area maybe centre it a bit and add some background foliage to the bare trees in the back mist. I will work on the grass too. really thanks just one more question - if I want the CRIMSON RED TO POP!! really stand out what do you suggest, I find the paint dulls when dry - but I love it wet. colour

sarah_jane
10-01-2015, 11:46 AM
I agree that the lay of the land is a bit confusing. Perhaps add some more trees to the light spot in the background? I also think it would be interesting if you added touches of red to the trees in the background. It might help tie things together. I love the rich red color.

naglel
10-01-2015, 01:44 PM
I like that the light source is slightly off centre, perhaps diffuse it, add some, not many, ghost trees in the light area, tone down the whiteness on the first line of undergrowth, it should filter thru softly..not totally wipe out those grasses.

Acrylic paint, specially student grade tends to darken as it drys, with that in mind you need to lighten your red and place it where you want highlights on your tree, use this for the best pop...strategic rather than all of the red..., adding red to your background foliage may lose the ghostlike effect and bring them forward to the eye. Some trees do lose their leaves before others , don't know that I would worry bout it...artist decision.

Black is the worst for flattening and dulling your picture, better to use darkened shades of the same color to achieve shadow.
Looking forward to the finished picture!

La_
10-01-2015, 02:12 PM
thanks for your comments/. and yes you recognized Tim Gagnon, he just left teaching in Toronto Canada and unfortunately I could not make the classes but downloaded one of his lessons instead. I appreciate your comments, I think I will rework the white area maybe centre it a bit and add some background foliage to the bare trees in the back mist. I will work on the grass too. really thanks just one more question - if I want the CRIMSON RED TO POP!! really stand out what do you suggest, I find the paint dulls when dry - but I love it wet. colour

alizarin crimson is a cold red [great for dark/shadow areas]
cadmium red [hue] is a warm red [great for highlighting said dark/shadow areas]

reds + greens = superdark [for shadows] that is much more 'natural' looking than black. this piece strikes me as more contemporary than natural tho, so black can work there for more drama if you're going for that look, which i think this piece is, going for that more contemporary look.

la

Robincat
10-03-2015, 01:03 PM
ok I have softened the white in the middle and actually moved it just slightly, redid the tree trunks and of course the grass is now longer. I did put some soft very soft trees in the background with leaves...and changed the angle of the shadow on the right hand side lower area. I am beginning to like it....still thinking and pondering....

lunchbox
10-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Like the blending you have accomplished in the background. Reds are hard to lighten or intensify. I can't tell by the photo here if you finally got the result you had hoped for. If not, you might try mixing in a small bit of orange. You can always look for the colors on either side of the color wheel to help boast the color in-between.

naglel
10-03-2015, 02:59 PM
Beautiful! Love the ghost trees and hint of foliage, well done!👍

Jules Hilliard
10-04-2015, 01:02 PM
The second painting is definitely better. However, I still have a problem with all the white in the grass. Better to use a mixture of white with a bit of yellow and or green.

Robincat
10-07-2015, 08:30 PM
just wanted to say thanks and actually had someone at work offer to buy it.
:wave: