PDA

View Full Version : Fall in Fremont, 2003, X-Post

AnnieA
09-30-2015, 02:01 AM
Hi. I'm finally breaking my painting slump. Here's a quick painting I did this afternoon based on a reference photo I took a long, long time ago. It's the first knife painting I've ever done. Whew - it's hard to get used to using a knife!

8x10, oils
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2015/85002-Fremont_in_the_Fall.jpg

I think it's important to comment on the work of other artists if one wants feedback on one's own work, but given the hour (it's 11PM here), I'll have to come back tomorrow or the next day to do it. Thanks for looking!

AnnieA
10-03-2015, 08:09 AM
OK, I'm unashamedly bumping up my own post. Well, maybe I'm a littel embarrassed.:lol: I should have responded to everyone else's work and then posted, but I did it the other way and so it got buried. I really would appreciate feedback!

maryinasia
10-03-2015, 10:58 AM
beautiful!

Yorky
10-04-2015, 02:31 AM
Excellent knife work. I love urban scenes.

Doug

Monastic Bat
10-06-2015, 10:34 AM
Glad you are poking your muse, this is very nice work.:clap::clap:
Regards,
Greg.

AnnieA
10-09-2015, 12:33 PM
Thanks very much, Yorky and Greg!

Looking at the painting now and then, I find I'm still shocked that I turned out something so loose! :lol:

Ruth Brigitte
10-21-2015, 08:10 AM
I really like it. The light is captured well, and it's well painted. I noticed that you can get a lot of detail with knife, but it takes a while to get used to...
Ruth

AnnieA
10-21-2015, 12:54 PM
I really like it. The light is captured well, and it's well painted. I noticed that you can get a lot of detail with knife, but it takes a while to get used to...
Ruth
Thanks very much, Ruth. Yeah, I'm still not used to knife painting, but I can see it's possibilities now.

Tripod
12-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Keep working on the knife Annie, I found it so expressive and loosened me up. Wish I could use one now, but forced to muck abut with credit cards now.

AnnieA
12-28-2015, 10:54 AM
I'm sorry for not noticing your comment sooner. Thanks very much, Tripod. But what do you mean about credit cards?

Tripod
12-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Thanks Annie. With reduced manipulation and dexterity due to major trauma and a stroke, plus aged wobbly hands I now use expired debit/credit cards to work my pieces. I did use the knife in oils, it's not quite the same but it suits me and my new style.

AnnieA
12-29-2015, 03:16 AM
Oh, sorry to hear that, Derek. My father had a series of strokes, so I know it can be challenging. Kudos to you for finding a way to keep painting.

Have you ever considered Princeton Catalyst blades? (http://www.dickblick.com/products/princeton-catalyst-blades-and-mini-blades/)? I just got a couple on a closeout sale, and they're interesting. It seems to me they might handle easier than brushes do. And the blades themselves detach from the handle, so if they don't work as is, maybe you could have handles made for them.

...sorry for the unsolicited advice!

Tripod
12-29-2015, 05:34 AM
Thanks Annie for your response and wishes. Luckily mine was minor, a clot that they made vanish with ultra sound but it left some effects, but generally I'm OK

Will take a look at those thanks, no problem.