PDA

View Full Version : Pastel boards

grekorakis
09-24-2015, 07:35 PM
Hi Everyone
I just started a work on Ampersand Museum Series Pastelbord. They are absolutely wonderful. I wonder if anyone tried OIL Pastels on those.

multifaceted
12-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Many people on this forum have used them and love them.

Pandalana
02-16-2017, 01:54 AM
I have used the other Ampersand Boards; Gessobord, etc. But, I just did 2 portraits of sisters; and I had an awful time with one of the pastel boards, and will never use them again after my experience. Right in the middle of one of the girls nose and on her cheek (those were the most noticeable) the grit wore off very quickly. I used Carbothello pencils and Girault pastels for the first layers and by the time I tried putting on the last layer for the highlight on the nose and cheek - it would not accept any pastel. I thought I had put too much pastel and filled it in; so I tried to blend it a bit with the side of my pinkie and the color of the board showed through and it felt smooth. So, I used a soft brush to brush off the pastel and start again and it would not accept ANY pastel. It felt smooth to the touch; the grit was gone. I had some pan pastels and tried to save that area with those; and it would not even accept that. So - I have applied some medium to those areas and am waiting for it to dry and will try to save it. UGH! So disappointing! I read some other posts that said Ampersand Pastelbord can be somewhat difficult and there are complaints of the grit rubbing off; even with finger blending - so never more. And I am STUCK with several boards I have bought over the last year-ish and a couple of them quiet large. I will NEVER use Ampersand Pastelbord pastel board again.