PDA

View Full Version : Senior exhibition

catechase
09-24-2015, 03:06 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-24-2015/1974552_CAM06994_(2).jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-24-2015/1974552_CAM06995_(2).jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Senior exhibition
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 18x24
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Ok so the pink painting in new and he painting on the left is going to be in my senior show for sure.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
My question is do these paintings go well together for a show? and how technically good and how could I improve the pink one, I know I love the blue one.

Also I will post two drawings that will also be shown with the blue one.

Is the pink one to different from the drawings? The pink one is very "smiley" and the drawings and painting are more contemplative.

Sorry to post so much In one week, but my senior show is coming soon and feedback would be AWESOME!

kafine
09-25-2015, 07:58 AM
You could play on the difference in tone if you wanted to. I don't know if the context allows it, but they don't necessarily have to match.

But if you want to match them, and you're up for making a biggish change, I think what you should do is angle Pink's eyes away from the viewer. Right now Blue isn't reacting to the viewer, whereas Pink looks posed. Perhaps she could be smiling at something off screen, or in her thoughts, you see what I mean? A downward cast to her eye would make her even more similar to Blue (too much? Your call)

Also the blue painting has some elements of pink in it; I think introducing some blue to the pink one would help unify them. If she's quite fair you might find some blue in her skin, and then that would be an interesting contrast to Blues pink skin on a blue bg.

The pencil drawings look good (good job observing the neck and clavicle areas), I am not sure I would risk spoiling them to make small changes now.

But one thing to be careful of in future is the tendency to treat the eye as a flat shape and give it an "outline". Try to focus on the volume of the shapes involved.

catechase
09-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Thank You very much that was a very helpful post. :) Yes, I am going for more of an introspective theme so those changes would be appropriate!