GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Round The Bend
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14x18
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This scene is not far from where I live.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Any suggestions?

gouligann
09-23-2015, 06:29 AM
This is a very pretty scene. Good composition, good sense of distance with the background trees. Great job on the railroad tracks!
I like the way the steps and the separation in the plants lead the viewer up to the house on the hill.

I have a few suggestions for improvement:
-the house is on a slant down to the left, and the perspective on the right side of the house is off a bit. (use a vanishing point to get the correct perspective)
-the tree beside the house (close to the tracks) needs some colour. It is very drab.
-the leaves in the tree closest to the viewer need some definition to match the definition of the plants below. They appear to be heavy masses of various greens, rather than branches with leaves.
- I'm not sure what the light green/gray mass is to the left of the house? If it's a tree, the shape and colour doesn't fit into the painting. I'd like to see trees continued on in the same fall foliage as the trees beside it.

Ann

Jules Hilliard
09-23-2015, 01:18 PM
I see now what you mean about the house. And I'll work on the trees. That gray green mass of color on the left is supposed to be background trees. I painted them that way to keep them back. I guess I'll have to go over that area also. This is what's so great about the critique. It gives others the opportunity to point out something that the artist may have overlooked. Thanks a lot.