GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: "Wired Love"
Year Created: 1999
Medium: Watercolor
Surface: Watercolor Paper
Dimension: 6
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This piece is a watercolor I did a couple years ago, and is a style I am considering developing into either an illustration style, or a painting style. The woman's hand is supposed to be long, metaphorically "reaching" for the hand coming out of the computer, in case you were wondering. It's about an internet relationship.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I'd like feedback on composition, color, linework, use of contrast, and the feasability of this style as a commercial illustration style. Thank you!

designditz
10-14-2003, 01:36 AM
I cant say as far as commercial or not.. but certainly interesting, nice comp and colors!

djstar
10-14-2003, 02:58 AM
Nice, clean and distinctive. Yes, this would be a wonderful style to exploit.
Just jumped in here so I will see what else you are doing, but this very recognizable, although harkening back to something RUSSIAN if I somewhat recall from art history.
Deco in its own way and speaks of techno culture.
dj*

Rabbit Twilight
10-14-2003, 09:53 AM
I like it. It's very well done.

eraserhead
10-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks guys! Mucho appreciated. DJstar, I see what you mean about the Russian (Constructivist) leanings, though I don't remember having that in mind when I painted it. Quite fun to create, though.

clowe
10-14-2003, 03:41 PM
I like the colors and the angular structure. I think it works as an illustration style. Nice one.

bloodjelly
10-14-2003, 06:17 PM
I also like the strong lines and diagonals. It looks very much like a style of graphic design that's popular now (you know the ones that look like they were all done with Adobe Illustrator), but yours looks better since the lines and colors are less restricted.

eraserhead
10-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Clay and Bloodjelly:
Thanks very much! I'm not sure I'm familiar with the style of graphic design you're referrring to Bloodjelly, and I'm in the field. Got any websites with examples?

Cabal
10-16-2003, 01:43 AM
Nice aztec style you got going. You might exploit that stuff to a further degree by emulating some ritualistic totemesque objects with bird wings but perhaps using modern things in the place of bloodied sacrifice daggers, etc.

David Lynch fan?

Rieko
10-16-2003, 02:36 AM
Very nice composition, clear colors, and line work. I really the woman's hand. Intriguing.

I can see Cabal's comment of "Aztec style"...

eraserhead
10-16-2003, 10:40 AM
Cabal: huh? Yes I'm a David Lynch fan, how did you know? I can see his influence in this painting:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2003/28368-fatherhood.jpg

which I uploaded a few days ago, to a couple of different forums (maybe you saw it in one of them?), but not this one. And Aztec influence? Hmm. I've looked at a bit of Mexican art, but I'm not sure how much of it was Aztecan. Did they use 45 degree angles as in this piece? Or is it more the figure stylization or colors that resembles their work?

Don't really get what you mean by "emulating some ritualistic totemesque objects with bird wings but perhaps using modern things in the place of bloodied sacrifice daggers, etc." Sounds interesting though. :)

Rieko: Thanks very much! I like her hand that way too, though I just realized I'm not real fond of her left hand. It looks big too, and I didn't really want it to. Ah well.

bradbrains
10-16-2003, 04:02 PM
It kind of reminds me of Joe Average's stuff and he has certainly done well for himself. Well done.

eraserhead
10-16-2003, 04:12 PM
think the rain's getting to me Cabal... you saw my id "eraserhead" and got the david lynch thing. duh.

bradbrains: not familiar with Joe Average, but will look him up. thanks!