PDA

View Full Version : Nicholas Simmons' Eulogy Thread

Chris Robinson
09-22-2015, 07:50 AM
For those who remember Nick Simmons on wetcanvas unfortunately bad news that this brilliant artist is no longer with us. Tragic news

indianagreg
09-22-2015, 07:55 AM
Sorry to pass on some sad news this morning. On Konstantin Sterkhov's blog (http://sterkhovart.blogspot.com/2015/09/farewell-nick-simmons.html) he's reporting the death of Nicholas Simmons; he was only 47. :(

Greg

HarvestMoon
09-22-2015, 09:09 AM
I am so sorry to hear this news! I used to be online friends with him, until he got mad about me getting angry that he shredded one of his paintings I thought was fantastic. Now I understand him not wanting something kept that he felt was inferior, but he was a great artist and a showman to boot! As well as so accomplished at the guitar.

Marcio C
09-22-2015, 11:12 AM
This is tragic, I'm very sorry to hear this, he goes away way too early...
I'm glad I got to know him and his sense of humor, and the talent in his art. My thoughts go to his friends and family.

rickyhpierre
09-22-2015, 11:30 AM
This is so sad! Condolences to his family and friends. A tragic loss. He had such talent and made so may beautiful paintings.

Ricky

olliewood0702
09-22-2015, 12:08 PM
I'm sad at the loss of such an innovative artist who's work I really admired. He was an enthusiastic artist and accomplished musician, who had many friends. Condolences to his wife and daughter and all of his family and friends. I will always remember him from here on WetCanvas.:crying:

Catwoman2
09-22-2015, 03:40 PM
I am so sorry to hear the horrible news! I noticed that someone had bumped one of Nick's old threads over in The Learning Zone and I was smiling and wondering how he was doing these days... and then I skipped to the end of the thread and saw that he had passed away. :(

I will always remember how kind he was to me when I first joined this forum several years ago, and how generous he was with both his knowledge and his friendly words of encouragement.

My condolences to his family and friends. I wish I would have had a chance to have met him in real life. As it is, the closest I got was when I bought his DVD, which I still watch when I need a boost of creativity.

Again, I am so very sorry.

HarvestMoon
09-22-2015, 04:02 PM
Does anyone have any idea what happened?

IrishRose
09-22-2015, 04:45 PM
On Nick's Facebook page, back in August he wrote about some health problems he had and everyone wished him a speedy recovery. I used to correspond with Nick about 8-10 years ago.. he was the nicest person, always uplifting and encouraging, he loved his wife and daughter fiercely and was a passionate and gifted human being. I will be praying for his family. :(

IrishRose
09-22-2015, 05:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O44hgIJUYCQ Nick has some great music on his youtube channel.. over the years I've listened and truly appreciated his talent.

teaberry123
09-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Such a great loss, and way too young. I clicked on Nick's name to pull up the threads that he started, and will look forward to reading some of the great pearls that he shared with WC.

Antiqueteacher
09-22-2015, 09:23 PM
I was stunned yesterday when I heard of Nick's passing! What a fine, fine artist with such a flair for color!! Loved his musical abilities, too! The Art World has lost a gem of an artist!! I remember him from when I first joined WetCanvas and have watched him venture out and grow into an International artist!! :thumbsup:

God's blessings to his wife and daughter!!

Katherine :music: :music:

mhimeswc
09-22-2015, 11:02 PM
Like many of you, I "met" Nick here on Wetcanvas. His paintings were eye candy for me, and I would get excited every time I saw his user name, wondering what he would create next. I loved when he commented on one of my paintings, he was always kind and encouraging. I've followed his career and am amazed at what he has accomplished since then. The art world has suffered a great loss. My heart goes out to his wife and daughter. RIP Nick.

D'Lady
09-22-2015, 11:35 PM
:( Damn.

Nick's advice and encouragement when I first found this forum was one of the primary reasons I kept coming back.

I thought he was a fantastic artist, and he always seemed like a genuinely nice person, too.

My condolences to his family. I remember his posts about his wife and daughter, and how they meant the whole world to him.

juneto
09-23-2015, 12:10 AM
I am shocked beyond words .Nick was always a faithful friend for years and I had the honor of having him as a guest years ago twice.
Hard to believe one so young is gone . He was passionate about Art , Music , Olga and Larissa .
I am speechless and sorrowful !!!
June:crying:

CJMonty
09-23-2015, 01:45 AM
How sad to hear the news that you have left this part of your Jouney so Young.

Such a Young and Talented Artist, may your Paintings be seen by many more people from now to eternity.

We all learnt so much from you, Thankyou for sharing your Talent.

Lots of Love Carolynn.

Yorky
09-23-2015, 01:52 AM
So young and so talented. Nick certainly left his mark on the World.

Doug

Lulu
09-23-2015, 02:07 AM
So very sad. My condolences to his wife and family.

HarvestMoon
09-23-2015, 11:35 AM
It would bring some comfort to at least know what happened!

But last week I ordered and received a beautiful book of John Singer Sergents watercolors. I know how much Nick loved his work. I had no idea he was sick, but thought of him with each turn of the page, through the weekend. Likewise I think of him every time I see a koi, not just a koi painting but a real one. So that is daily since we put koi in our pond. And I loved his attitude of Go Big with your paintings or go home! Every time I try fluid acrylics of course I think of him, and his battle to have them accepted as watercolor when used in the same manner. His personality was so dynamic and fun, that I abandoned pastels and the pastel forum for watercolors, something I knew nothing about really, just to hang out with him online ! We had a ton of email correspondence a long time ago, and he sent me tons of photos of himself. He always knew he would be famous around the world!

seedy
09-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Like his paintings, Nick went big.....and now he's gone home....
A most interesting person that will be missed.

Sonia
09-23-2015, 02:33 PM
So shocked to hear the news about Nick's passing. He always seemed so full of life and enthusiasm, so willing to share his skills, a breath of fresh air in the world of watercolour.

My sincere condolences to his family.

artastic
09-23-2015, 04:48 PM
so very sorry to hear this news, he was such a source of inspiration and encouragement, RIP Nickolas, the world will be less bright with out you, condolences to the ladies in his life, Olga and Larissa

chrisking
09-23-2015, 08:36 PM
When I first joined WetCanvas as a new watercolor painter, Nick offered me such great encouragement. I will never forget that. What a loss!
Christiane Kingsley

CharM
09-24-2015, 12:20 AM
This tragic news is truly shocking and my condolences go out to his family and friends.

Superturtle
09-24-2015, 12:30 AM
Such a shame that such a young guy would be gone so soon. Best wishes to his family.

laudesan
09-24-2015, 08:04 AM
My sincerest condolences to Nicks family. I too am shocked, stunned actually. One jsut never knows.

Nick sent me his CD of his instrumentals he played, and I do play it often, still. He also got me interested Pat Methenys' music. Watercolours bing my favourite. :)

Go well Nick. I hope you have a paint brush in your hand and are painting it up with Sargeant..

artdreamer1
09-24-2015, 09:47 AM
I, also, was just shocked when I read the news about Nick...He was always so encouraging and helpful to his fellow artists; he's the reason that I started working larger and grew more confident as an artist--wish I could have met him personally. Since I'm not on Facebook, I hadn't heard about his being ill lately so it really saddened me greatly-was just thinking of sending him an e-mail about possibly putting on a workshop in my area.

It certainly has made me think about not putting off until tomorrow what I should be doing today--with both life in general and my artwork...you just never know. No more..."I can always start/finish a painting tomorrow" or "I have time to figure out what I want to do in life" -- I'm determined to not waste what time I have left. Btw...I'm (only) 53 but, then again, Nick was only 47!

My heartfelt condolences to Olga, Larissa, and the rest of his family--he will be greatly missed. :crying:
Thanks you, Nick, for your friendship/support AND your beautiful art!

Michele

wcartistsr
09-24-2015, 01:04 PM
My sincere condolences to Olga and Larissa on Nick's passing. He brought much depth and sparkle to the art world and encouragement to many.
A life cut short too soon.

Shirley

Mayberry
09-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Very sorry to hear his passing. He left behind many beautiful paintings. The world has lost a wonderful artist and teacher.

carolyn2001
09-24-2015, 03:20 PM
what is Nick's username on WC. I'd like to read his past posts...TKS

it's very shocking news. I planned on taking a workshop with him....someday...got to live for today....very sad.

EDIT: Unfortunately Nicholas was no longer a member, however you can still lefind his contributions using Google Advanced Search (https://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en) search for Nicholas Simmons and use the domain name wetcanvas.com

Doug

clode
09-24-2015, 05:36 PM
how sad the world of watercolor is gray today .. condolences to his family

DominicM
09-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Disbelief.. Another Gone too soon..

kaypainter
09-24-2015, 09:29 PM
He lived life big as his art. Gone too soon. Condolences to his family.

Kay

clode
09-25-2015, 05:50 AM
nes7827...a thought ..to the family. sad news .. !

Roun2it
09-25-2015, 12:46 PM
So sad to hear of Nick's untimely passing. He was a very active member of WC at one time and give so much to so many on the site. His big, bold paintings reflected his character, the world of watercolour will miss this inspirational artist. My condolences to his wife and family.

BobH
09-25-2015, 01:55 PM
That is awful news. I always admired Nick and his work. That's just too young to go. Just terrible. My heart goes out to his family.

gnu
09-26-2015, 01:27 AM
one of my favourite watercolour artists and a wonderful inspiration I followed many of his tutes here, and was able to include many techniques in my own work even across media..He will be sorely missed...

ScarletLake
09-27-2015, 05:31 AM
What a gift we were all given by Nicholas Simmons. My thoughts & prayers are with his wife & daughter. He is gone from us much too soon.

He was always very giving of his encouragement to others. I loved his vibrant colors & the movement in his works.

I will miss him.

Anita

nanphe
09-30-2015, 02:03 PM
I was so saddened and shocked to learn of Nick's death. He was such an amazing artist, musician and person. 10 years ago I was fortunate enough to win one of his Koi paintings in a drawing here on Wet Canvas. It has held an honored place in my home and will be even more precious to me now. Nick and I shared a July 15th birthday (although many years apart) and he reminded me that we shared this birthdate with Rembrandt. I will miss him and I hope for comfort and peace for Olga and Larissa, knowing how much he loved them.

matingara
10-11-2015, 06:54 AM
hi guys. i have been away for so long. I am so sad about this, about Nick, that I can hardly think about anything else.

Nick was the one who convinced me I was a talented painter. He is the main reason I did a successful show in the arts precinct of this city.

He is the main reason I nearly got to Shang-Hai.

He is the one who introduced me to Carol Carter.

We corresponded a lot. He was a mate. A mate.

God Bless you Nick. I love you, mate.

Joel.

musket
10-24-2015, 05:14 PM
If Nick were still alive, we'd be emailing furiously about this girl. I think this piece will serve as a suitable eulogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvCM3jHLwxU

I have other people I can talk with about guitar, but it isn't the same without Nick.

I'm having a very difficult time believing he's gone.

Carrie
10-28-2015, 09:20 PM
I will hang a roll of visqween this weekend, throw some paint, and channel Nick.
That will make him happy.....
Me too
C

artastic
11-02-2015, 07:44 AM
A wonderful mentor and champion of the arts
A workshop with nick has been in my bucket list since I met him, never put off the things we mean to do, or it may be too late
RIP, Nicolas

lyn lynch
11-09-2015, 10:35 AM
have just heard of Nick's passing. I am Shocked; his demise so sudden. Just 57 years old and at the pinnacle of success, with nowhere but UP to go. Like several others, I also had many private conversations with Nick up until my own illness. He never failed to answer me when I wrote him. Nick was a great and enduring friend to all who put their hand out to him.

Last year I saw the Watercolor show in person and was captivated by Nick's painting of Olga--like the paintings of Frida, you cannot fully comprehend the mastery until you see them in person. His intricate and delicate value shifts were so subtle as to be barely there--look closely. Bravo! a master painter. So happy to find this thread honoring Nick. He had a terrific sense of humor and I'm sure he's laughing. :heart:

musket
11-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Nick was only 47, not 57. I've been unable to find anything about what happened. If he was ill last summer, he never mentioned it to me.

a. ladd
12-28-2015, 01:24 PM
I just found out about his passing and I'm stunned - such a young, vital guy who led such a full and generous life. I met him and his lovely wife and daughter years ago at his opening at Gallery Roca, in Havre de Grace, MD.. His amazing Sushi and Flamenco paintings hung there for an extended time and I never stopped admiring and studying them with every visit. It may seem cliche, but his work does reflect, and continues to transmit, his tremendous spirit and energy. My deepest sympathies to his beautiful family.