PDA

View Full Version : New Pastelian says hello

Swaggertoes
09-22-2015, 05:32 AM
OK, so I have been a charcoal fiend for years. I liked pastel a lot back in college, but didn't have much experience with it beyond that. Then I went to acrylic on colourfix, which was my staple for a long time until I hit a huge depression and didn't do anything but pet portraits for money for years and doodles here and there. I stopped talking regularly on WetCanvas a long time ago, but really started to miss it...but when in my dry depression, looking at work made me feel guilty and jealous that everyone was creating except me.

Then I started doodling portraits at work in pencil...and it started to swell back up in me.

Then I discovered panpastels a few days ago.

O.M.G.

It's like paint, which I love...but dry media, which I love. I am in love.

So much so that Wednesday, my set of 80 is arriving...and the pastelmat is on the way. I may not eat well for a while, but it will be worth it!

I cannot wait to learn from everyone and be inspired again. I have attached a few photos of practice projects I have started. 2 on colourfix paper, and one on a Savoir faire pastel board I bought on clearance. (Not sure how I feel about it. It is more "fine toothed" than the colourfix, but erases strangely and is almost "sticky" with the sofft tools.)

I figured I would hold back tonight on the color ones because my set of 80 is coming so soon, so I decided to play with a mostly black and white picture of my dog, Scribbles, which is almost done. I cannot wait until Wednesday!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2015/86897-IMG_20150921_040024.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2015/86897-IMG_20150921_052417.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2015/86897-IMG_20150922_031804.jpg

SarahM
09-22-2015, 07:34 AM
Lovely work. It's great that pastels have resurrected your artistic passion!

I am soooo tempted by the panpastels, mostly because of their rep as being virtually dust-free, but they are so expensive here in the UK. :(

robertsloan2
09-22-2015, 07:44 AM
Oh wow! These are great paintings! I should relax and use them more like that sometimes, let the ground color shine as part of the painting. I love PanPastels too and you won't regret that set of 80. Did you start with a Portraits set or a Sketching set? Just curious.

Sarah, if they are expensive in the UK I can understand. 10 Painters is a good start because these do work like paint. 20 Painters is all the pigments in one set, all other 60 colors are convenience colors. Pretty darn convenient but not essential. They also last and last, it's really a one-time expense.

Blayne
09-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Welcome back! Your work is fantastic! I hope the new art toys help to get you back creating. Certainly the contact with others on WC should help. The depression slump, which seems to hit periodically for many of us, is tough to get through sometimes. I wish you the best

Swaggertoes
09-23-2015, 07:31 AM
Oh wow! These are great paintings! I should relax and use them more like that sometimes, let the ground color shine as part of the painting. I love PanPastels too and you won't regret that set of 80. Did you start with a Portraits set or a Sketching set? Just curious.

I think it is going to be a fun road of discovering techniques and grounds and the like!

I ordered what I thought was the drawing set and the mediums set. A Weathering set arrived, that didn't have black or white, so then I ordered a drawing set as well. I quickly realized I wanted some color, and struggled to pick my next few. Then I just bit the bullet. lol

maryinasia
09-23-2015, 07:45 AM
beautiful

robertsloan2
09-23-2015, 08:22 AM
Oh! That's neat. I didn't even know about the Weathering set but when I first got them, I got 20 Painters. But had samples from this and that. A free sample came with a magazine subscription and a friend gave me a couple of duplicate colors and this and that, eventually I almost had enough for a small full palette so added the one missing primary - yellow - and gave it to a friend who wanted to try them. Had an extra black and white from overlaps in the 20 color sets building a 60 color set and an extra gray from duplicate sort of thing.

Then realized I liked having a 10 color tray of convenience for taking with when I went out, so bought the 10 Painters as a plein air set. Later supplemented with 5 Tints and used the 5 Deep Darks I got for review to fill a second "away" tray. Convenience colors. But I love the 5 Deep Dark Shades for a sketch thing on white sketchbook paper. Just dab, darkest marks, work up through values on successive marks, dab again for deep dark monochromes. Works great any dark color.

I had to get 20 Deep Dark Shades for full range once I tried that little five color one, they are really handy convenience colors. Also got the pearlescents and mediums when they came out, but I've always loved pearlescent and iridescence in watercolor too. I find ways to use it that are subtle sometimes, it can be a major aspect or a soft color shift that helps something seem more natural depending on its local texture.

Pastelmat or Colourfix Suede are great surfaces for it too. Pastelmat worked for plein air well, does not smear much when shoved back in a bag hastily to go home.

AnnaLisa
09-23-2015, 02:43 PM
Welcome back
I am glad that you found happiness in painting, it sort of changes
thinking to very positive thinking when looking at pastels and
pastel papers:)

You must have been doing well as you could sell pet portraits for
years, it sounds nice. I like painting pets.

I have panpastels, and I bought the plastic trays and put them
in a drawer. Now I must go and have a look at how many I have haha.

AnnaLisa
09-23-2015, 02:44 PM
I forgot to tell that I especially like your dog portrait, so cute

bluemooze
09-23-2015, 10:06 PM
Hello Swaggertones,

I've just started posting here also. Your portraits are great.

Hank

Swaggertoes
09-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Oh! That's neat. I didn't even know about the Weathering set but when I first got them, I got 20 Painters. But had samples from this and that. A free sample came with a magazine subscription and a friend gave me a couple of duplicate colors and this and that, eventually I almost had enough for a small full palette so added the one missing primary - yellow - and gave it to a friend who wanted to try them. Had an extra black and white from overlaps in the 20 color sets building a 60 color set and an extra gray from duplicate sort of thing.

Then realized I liked having a 10 color tray of convenience for taking with when I went out, so bought the 10 Painters as a plein air set. Later supplemented with 5 Tints and used the 5 Deep Darks I got for review to fill a second "away" tray. Convenience colors. But I love the 5 Deep Dark Shades for a sketch thing on white sketchbook paper. Just dab, darkest marks, work up through values on successive marks, dab again for deep dark monochromes. Works great any dark color.

I had to get 20 Deep Dark Shades for full range once I tried that little five color one, they are really handy convenience colors. Also got the pearlescents and mediums when they came out, but I've always loved pearlescent and iridescence in watercolor too. I find ways to use it that are subtle sometimes, it can be a major aspect or a soft color shift that helps something seem more natural depending on its local texture.

Pastelmat or Colourfix Suede are great surfaces for it too. Pastelmat worked for plein air well, does not smear much when shoved back in a bag hastily to go home.

I find the duplicates that I have are usually colors that are used a lot because I am a big fan of the naturals and browns and blacks. However I did buy the medium set and I'm not a huge fan because I don't like pearlescent an iridescent look and I can't see myself using it for myself. I have seen other people pull it off, but everytime I do I feel like I'm being kistchy or something. My chosen themes tend toward the dark and odd, and when you add pearl into something dark and odd it is uncomfortable. Lol I may try to pawn my mediums set off on a friend who really enjoys the work and does much brighter work in general.

I ordered aome pastelmat. Just waiting on it to get here! Arg! Waoting is killing me!

Swaggertoes
09-25-2015, 05:49 PM
I forgot to tell that I especially like your dog portrait, so cute

I have to say. Its probably just because my dog is the cutest dog in the world....though I may be biased. Lol