PDA

View Full Version : Mi-tientes back and Pastelmat

bluemooze
09-21-2015, 03:34 AM
Greetings fellow pastel enthusiasts :)

So I finally decided to try something other than pastel paper and bought some Pastelmat.

Finally I can make marks that look like the ones I'm trying to learn from.

Can you guess which of the following images is Pastelmat? (Neither has any artistic merit) Marks are made with Rembrandts.

Image One: Mi-Tientes smooth side or Pastelmat?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2015/1236757-DSC_1350.jpg

Image Two: Mi-Tientes smooth side or Pastelmat?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2015/1236757-DSC_1362LR.jpg

It was a recent thread on here that made me decide to try the Pastelmat.

Thanks,

Hank

BeckyMc
09-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Number 1 pastelmat?

allydoodle
09-21-2015, 04:01 PM
First is definitely Pastelmat, the second is definitely Canson MT smooth side.

robertsloan2
09-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Top one is Pastelmat. It takes several layers before any blending takes place, the surface is extremely clingy! I think you like it! Pastelmat is great stuff.

bluemooze
09-22-2015, 04:18 AM
Becky, Chris and Robert,

Can't fool you guys. Sorry, but I don't have a prize for you or anything.

Thanks,

Hank

robertsloan2
09-23-2015, 08:57 AM
We love our favorite papers and some of us have been playing with them for years. More than half my life when it comes to mi-Tientes really. Pastelmat was new and cool, Mi-Tientes was how I made my living.

There are many different good papers and surfaces to explore. If you don't mind framing difficulties, Ampersand Pastelbord has a toothy, very fine grit surface that's lovely. Pastel Premier comes in a super fine grit. Uart is versatile with underpaintings and has grit from very coarse to extra super fine, I love it for that. It's more like a true sandpaper. Wallis Paper has extreme grit and takes massive layering, Uart or Pastel Premier closest comparable. Colourfix Suede is similar to Pastelmat.

bluemooze
09-23-2015, 08:53 PM
Hi Robert :)

Thank you for your many and excellent suggestions. I hope to be able to eventually try them all.

By the way, I've been practicing drawing faces using the Loomis references you made the other day. It's an excellent approach. I need to keep trying because currently mine look like puppet heads.

Best regards,

Hank