PDA

View Full Version : Mi-tientes front and back

bluemooze
09-21-2015, 03:21 AM
Greetings everyone :)

So I was trying an exercise in mark making from Jackie Simmonds' "Pastel Workbook."

Using mainly Rembrandt pastels (yes, the sides are sanded) and a few Mt. Visions for comparison sake, I can't make any marks on the front side (at least not any that interest me):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2015/1236757-DSC_1360LR.jpg

The smooth side is a little better, but I think it makes learning painful.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2015/1236757-DSC_1361LR.jpg

Just wanted to post an actual mi-Tientes example that beginners might benefit from.

Thanks,

Hank

DAK723
09-21-2015, 09:18 AM
Thanks, Hank! Yes, most of use the smooth side!

Don

robertsloan2
09-21-2015, 10:01 AM
Hank, beautiful demonstration of the two sides of Canson Mi-Tientes. There are different textures you can get. I love both of your examples, very lively and bright, well laid out, interesting colors.

You can get more precision and detail on the smooth side. Textures are what you choose to make of them, not a given with that frustrating weave. I use the screen texture occasionally if I'm doing something large and want a change, but only if I want the painting to look very rough.

Try a blended-out texture on Mi-Tientes smooth with those side strokes over it, and with linear marks. You can get many different sorts of marks on it and Canson Mi-Tientes smooth side has a lot of tooth for a non sanded paper. Also try the black or dark color sometimes, the flecks of black coming through color give it a dazzling brightness.

JustinM
09-21-2015, 10:32 PM
Thanks, Hank! Yes, most of use the smooth side!

Don

i still think its funny since, a you noted, so many of us use the 'back' side - that the sheets are bound with the honeycombed side in front (thus making everyone think thats the 'good' side. Even the full sheets usually have a bar code sticker on what i consider the good side (the smooth).