PDA

View Full Version : Flowers in Green Vase

TerryCurley
09-19-2015, 06:50 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-19-2015/1966386_half_green_vase.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Flowers in Green Vase
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 12 x 16 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This is my first post here. Started painting 18 months ago.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
How can this picture be improved?

jessw
09-20-2015, 01:37 AM
Welcome to Wetcanvas! For a beginner to painting, it looks like you are off to a good start.

Did you paint this from life or use a photo reference for this piece?

I find that the shadows/highlights are not reading quite right for me. Your light source appears to be coming from the left but the shadows and highlights on the flowers and leaves don't seem to correspond with the apparent direction of the light.

TerryCurley
09-20-2015, 09:59 AM
I did not use a photo or a real life set up. I just did it from my head. Sometimes I use photos and sometimes not.

Yes it was my intention to have the light coming from the left. I don't know where in the picture it is showing it differently. Can you point it out for me?

jessw
09-20-2015, 06:18 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I would imagine the highlight on the left side of the vase wouldnt appear the way you have painted it because the hanging lilac on the left would be obstructing the light. You have also painted a strong highlight on the leaf below the hanging lilac that I would imagine should have read as shadow. The leaf just under the far left standing lilac makes me think you intended the light to be coming from the upper left, but the leaf in between the two left standing lilacs makes me think the light is coming from a lower angle. I would also expect to see a more obvious shadow created by the vase.

Dana Design
09-23-2015, 02:18 PM
I think you're doing very well with this piece. ONe of the problems in painting from imagination is you don't get the subtle nuances of the lights and darks. jessw has some good advice. Just keep painting and enjoying.

kafine
09-25-2015, 07:15 AM
It's coming along well; the flowers and their texture look really good, but I agree that something is not quite right with the vase. It looks sort of flat.

As well as the advice above on integrating the plants and vase with shading, I think it could use some colour variation as it's a large patch of just green in a colourful painting. Perhaps there could be a small reflection of the flowers where they nearly touch it, for example?

! Best of luck with it

TerryCurley
09-28-2015, 05:30 PM
Better?

Jules Hilliard
10-04-2015, 12:35 PM
I personally would have allowed for a little more background. As for the flatness? I believe a little more blending from the light to the dark areas. Suggestion: Find a non glossy, round or tubular object and observe it with light coming from a single light source. Good luck.

DeborSue
10-05-2015, 07:10 AM
Overall, I think it's very nice. I like the colors and the layout. I would look at adding a bit more dimension to the flowers i.e. more shading and highlights and work more on the bottom of the vase especially where it connects with the table. And I think the pink flower near the vase would cast a shadow on the vase. Very impressive that you're working from memory!

TerryCurley
10-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Thank you all for your feedback.