PDA

View Full Version : Abstract Peacock

Hued_lenses
09-18-2015, 04:13 PM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-18-2015/1975665_FullSizeRender.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Abstract Peacock
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 30x30
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This piece stopped talking to me so I figured it was done. But I don't like it and I can't tell what it is. It feels heavy and boring. I'm starting to think I need to manipulate it more but I don't know where to start.

I initially started with the blue 's' shape and was just going to do a color abstract piece but it kind of looked like a peacock so it transformed into what it is now. I'm not sure if I merged two paintings that should be separate, if that makes sense. As hard as I try my paintings never end up the same way I start them in my head!

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Is the color pallet too dark? The background too boring? The shape too heavy?

Bevahlee
09-18-2015, 06:25 PM
I think you stopped too soon. The strong blue shape separates from the background, making it not work (for me)...I would have continued with the blue theme and more of the shapes you have in a variety of lightness, and softness. Here was me playing with it

lunchbox
09-19-2015, 03:05 PM
Agree with Beverly. Also think the orange background is dominating and therefore is giving you the feeling of heavy. By emphasizing the various blues you can see how the eye is led to the subject in her example. A painting should have an overall "color" even if a lot of different colors are used so that you can look at it and say it is a "blue" painting, or "gold" etc. In her example, despite the strong red and yellows, it is "blue" if that makes sense. Welcome to Wetcanvas :)

Bevahlee
09-19-2015, 04:17 PM
HEY, I've been waiting for someone else to say that. But yes, it should be a red painting or a blue painting or whatever, but color dominance is a big part of a good composition. And you can use all sorts of colors as long as one dominates

Hued_lenses
09-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Thank you!!! duh! I hadn't done a painting in over 6 years so apparently I forgot simple rules. I like the digital remake. It totally makes sense about the single color paintings!

I appreciate it!!