PDA

View Full Version : Gate to el Hotelito

Donny Seib
09-15-2015, 11:16 AM
MY IMAGE(S):
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Critiques/upload_spool/09-15-2015/1975415_E_lHotelito_Gate.jpg

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Gate to el Hotelito
Year Created:
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24 x 20
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Here's a painting I did of a gate in the el Yunque rain forest of Puerto Rico. I stayed there earlier this year and had kind of hard time painting oil panels because of the bugs. So I did a couple watercolors for reference then did this one when IU got home.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What do ya think?
Also, what do you do about the bugs situation when they like the oils? Or is that when you just stick to watercolors or acrylics? I am deathly allergic to bees, so that is a conce<br> to me that most people don't worry about!

Tigr
09-16-2015, 01:45 AM
Love it. The right hand side foreground especially captures the colour and feel of the sunlit open areas near rainforests, the vegetation, ground and fallen leaves! Only very minor things caught my eye. The gate posts do not seem to be opposite of each other & the shadow of the left one goes into a different direction than overall. To be functional, I would expect the left hand side gate to have hinges opposite the right one (where the hinges can be seen). And I had a hard time finding the trees in the background that cause those large shadowed areas on the path (maybe because the greens right next to the shadowed areas are bright). But I am somewhat detail oriented, and it is overall really pleasing!

Donny Seib
09-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Thanks Tamara. You're right about that gate shadow....I missed that. The other gate actually wasn't there, it was more open and you couldn't see it from that angle. It was more open so I just added that in. Maybe I shouldn't have? Also, I changed the background too. It's actually a pretty dense background, I just wanted to give it a look like a path you want to take a walk on.
thanks for the compliment and the suggestions.

Mark Szymanski
09-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Some really good stuff happening here. I like how you've worked with the color temperature - warm in the sun cooler in the shade. Especially the greens on the right hand side, those are nice and cool and read as shadow colors. One of the other things I really like is how you are letting the shadows in the foreground describe the planes on the ground; the shadows undulate in a really interesting way. You've really hit the nail on the head with that darker area of color in the middle of the path, you've nicely described a harder section of dirt surrounded by looser sand. Interesting pattern to the fallen leaves on the path in the foreground, but it is strange there isn't anything in the background echoing those colors at a lower chroma along the path. Regardless the colors help set off the green quite a bit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2015/1765836-crit_neg_shapes.jpg

I like the negative spaces you've used between the trees, they're all varied in size and shape - keeps you from getting bored. The sweep of the limb over the path is a nice touch to help counterbalance the straight lines of the posts and gates with all of those strong angles.

So lot's of good things working here.

If I were to critique this, I would say your biggest issue is the fussiness you've placed within those nice negative spaces.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2015/1765836-crit_light_areas_in_neg_space.jpg

The bright spots are randomly scattered, rather than patterned in a natural way. I only marked a few of them, but they're everywhere. You can easily organize these areas so they allow the trees to stand more in front of the background to help give depth to the left side of the painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2015/1765836-crit_black_and_white.jpg

When turned to black and white, the values of the picture become clearer. Even though you've used a color temperature (warm for sun, cool for shade) difference, the values of the sunlit areas aren't that much lighter than those of the shaded areas with the exception of the right foreground.
For example:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2015/1765836-crit_shadow_and_light_foliage.jpg

I am noticing a nice separation of values of light and shade on the path, but the values in the foliage in from the same shade source (tree off canvas casting a shadow) so these two areas should probably have near the same value separation.

So I did a rough and quick workup on it, hopefully it makes the points clearer. I did a bit of work to simplify those negative spaces and use larger shapes within them. A bit of shape to describe just a few limbs catching the light rather than everywhere. One other thing I did was to lighten that sweeping limb where the glare of the sky will make the limb lighter and thinner when the limb is silhouetted against it, and letting it darken a bit where it runs in front of the leaves. Other than that, darkening a few shadows so the light areas had something to stand out against, running a limb in front of the tree behind the left pillar to make it stand back more, and adding a few twigs in the foreground for interest. My suggestions are quite roughly done, and there are many other treatments you could use - most likely much better than anything I came up with.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2015/1765836-crit_possible.jpg

Donny Seib
09-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Wow, thanks Mark! I will take that into account, along with Tamara's observation of the shadow going in the wrong direction. Obviously you put some work in the critique, thanks again! I'm surprised that nobody notices that the gates are kind of short. In other words, it doesn't look like will meet if they were closed all the way. I just noticed that the other day. So that, and some other suggestions will be worked on this weekend

Mark Szymanski
09-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Wow, thanks Mark! I will take that into account, along with Tamara's observation of the shadow going in the wrong direction. Obviously you put some work in the critique, thanks again! I'm surprised that nobody notices that the gates are kind of short. In other words, it doesn't look like will meet if they were closed all the way. I just noticed that the other day. So that, and some other suggestions will be worked on this weekend
Actually, I had noticed it - though I thought to myself, "does it harm the painting?" and I had to answer no. So I figure the gates don't meet and the posts aren't across from one another, it makes it yours. Let the viewer ponder what you mean by doing that... after all, it must have been on purpose!:wink2:

Dana Design
09-23-2015, 02:08 PM
A very good painting! Love the lights in it.

As an aside, I do seriously hope you carry an epi-pen with you!!! My son is also very allergic to bee stings and goes nowhere without his epi-pen (even tho' he lives in Abu Dhabi). They're expensive but if you call the manufacturer, you can save a lot of money going direct.

BlueonBlue
10-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Donny, this is amazing! Love the light coming through! :)

Bunny

Donny Seib
10-22-2015, 11:08 AM
I did some of the recommended changes such as the gate shadow, and deepening my values to the back right. Also added in some slight rays of misty light. Muchas gracias mi amigos!
Thanks....the good news about this piece is that I placed third in a show last week with it. But the BETTER news is that I sold it....hip hip horray (Donny does the happy dance!). The owner of this marvelous hotel in the rainforest of Puerto Rico not only gave me asking price but threw in a few days stay at the hotel! I am going to approach the guild that I belong to about a group plein air trip. Raphael (owner of el hotelito) said he would gladly work a deal. This place is an off the grid solar powered slice of heaven located in an old tropical flower plantation. Everywhere you look is better than the last. Plenty of painting opportunities. If you ever plan on a trip to Puerto Rico, definitely look it up, here's the link: http://www.yunquehotelito.com/

jennymac
10-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Wow! The painting and the critique comments are wonderful!

corfublue
10-26-2015, 11:44 PM
the eye loves, and I mean LOVES variation.
variation Is key in shape value and tone. the trees area very similar in tone and shape as well as shadows. dirty paint brushes are good for variation. or dirty water. do the same thing, but with a dirty brush for the next shape.