PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane I of No. 73 Squadron North Africa


Cinelli
09-14-2015, 09:18 PM
Hello All, Here is my latest painting which is nearly complete - I like to tuck a painting away for a while and then look at it again to see if there are issues hence the nearly complete. There are also some smaller details that need to be worked on once the paint has cured. The painting depicts a Hurricane I of No. 73 Squadron in North Africa (Gambut) 5th January 1941 (Pilot is Sgt. A. E. Marshall). On this date he shot down a Savoia-Marchetti S.M. 79. Oil on linen 12 inches x 18 inches. http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/Pogliaghi/HurrismallerCopy_zpsifcr1aos.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/Pogliaghi/media/HurrismallerCopy_zpsifcr1aos.jpg.html)

Puffman
09-15-2015, 05:04 AM
Love it :)

Trumper
09-15-2015, 05:07 AM
That is very good,the ribbing and panel details ,lovely :)

vegaskip
09-15-2015, 05:43 AM
First class painting, and nice to see the SM79.
Jim

NeilF92
09-15-2015, 07:51 AM
Good painting , fine detail.

peter.hambleton
09-15-2015, 09:34 AM
I like it! Well done! I agree with vegaskip, nice to see an Italian machine! Like to see more!

gollum
09-15-2015, 01:11 PM
Very nice

Not overworked....you knew when to stop :thumbsup:

Gray539
09-16-2015, 01:12 AM
That's a good looking painting, Cinelli.

Cinelli
09-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Thanks Puffman, Trumper, vegaskip, NeilF92, peter.hambleton, gollum and Gray539! Mike.

PaulsPaintPot
09-24-2015, 07:17 AM
Beautifully done.

Jon
09-29-2015, 01:33 PM
I like the angles in this, it adds to the drama of the scene. Nice!

Cinelli
10-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Well after receiving a copy of the book "The History of 73 Squadron" by Don Minterne, I discovered that the squadron code was wrong. Instead of TP-A it should have been configured A-TP, bit of a pain but I was glad to be able to put things right! http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/Pogliaghi/HurriTPAcopysmaller_zpsegzgxecv.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/Pogliaghi/media/HurriTPAcopysmaller_zpsegzgxecv.jpg.html)

Trumper
10-20-2015, 03:40 PM
How do you go about getting the courage and actually de constructing something to re do it so well?

Cinelli
10-20-2015, 03:55 PM
Hi Trumper, These things no longer scare me like they used to :-) I did the change yesterday - first I carefully removed the original markings (back to ground) making sure that I did not removed more than necessary, this way I don't make more work for myself. Then I carefully re-draw (in sharp 0.5mm pencil) the markings in the exact correct location looking at a lot of reference photos to ensure correct alignment. Then gradually build up the new paint matching to the surrounding paint which has been lightly coated with retouch varnish. It is tedious but worth it. Mike. I forgot to add, it is a bit like painting restoration however the original is not that old!

Trumper
10-20-2015, 05:47 PM
:) Looks brilliant.