PDA

View Full Version : Pastelmat paper - Awesome sauce!

nvrenftime
09-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Hi Everyone! I haven't been on WC for some time, and recently started painting again. I submitted these two paintings to my state fair and won 1st place still life for the Oldsmobile and 1st place mixed media on the Plymouth and Best of Show Other Media for the Plymouth. (I had to enter the Plymouth as mixed media as I couldn't have two paintings in the same class. I did use General's charcoal pencils :wink2: )

I just wanted to say that the new Pastelmat paper is phenomenal. It was designed to be used with the pan pastels and it's like night and day compared to all the other papers. It also takes soft pastel and hard pastels wonderfully. It's 140 lb paper and takes watercolor and acrylic paint as well.

I highly recommend it for anyone that likes the pan pastels but is not happy with results on other papers. Well worth the extra cost!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2015/85041-OldsmobileWeb.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2015/85041-PlymouthWeb.gif

blr2449
09-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Congratulations on winning!! I can see why. Your Paintings are beautiful. :thumbsup:

Bill Foehringer
09-09-2015, 10:20 PM
Great Job on these!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Congrats on the recognition!
Bill

Barbara WC
09-09-2015, 11:17 PM
Congratulations of your state fair wins!

Really great paintings- a very unique perspective that I like a lot.

I am a big PastelMat fan too. My other favorite is Sennelier La Carte. Both give different looks, but I love PastelMat probably the most...

water girl
09-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Congratulations! Great news!

DAK723
09-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Congrats on your prizes! Lovely work!

Pastelmat is definitely one of the most popular papers for pastel artists!

Don

allydoodle
09-11-2015, 12:25 AM
Congratulations on your outstanding work! I haven't tried Pastelmat as of yet, I've been meaning to. I do know it is well received, many people love it. It's on my list...

robertsloan2
09-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Congratulations on both wins! I love the paintings. Textures are spectacular, time just reaches out and flows, the peeling rusting changes are there and the colors so gorgeous. Oldsmobile I loved the painterly big strokes on the side areas. That sense of rain washing over it staining and changing colors on old paint is so incredible.

They remind me of some works by Gary Greene that I loved, but a little more painterly, vivid realism and elegant accurate detail with gorgeous color and edge play.

nvrenftime
09-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Wow, Rob, thanks so much for your flattering comments. I too, thought the Oldsmobile told more of a story than the Plymouth. I did a pastel in 2010 that won Best of Show, I think if you look at my old posts you will find it. It's a pastel of some equipment from an abandoned gold mine in a ghost town. Gary Greene inspired me, I have his books and DVD's, but still haven't gotten into colored pencils.

Grinner
09-17-2015, 08:19 AM
PastelMat is not new, but they did just release some new colors. It is a wonderful surface, I love it. Everyone should try some just to see how it responds - holds a surprising amount of pastel given the texture, and generates much less dust than sanded paper. In short, it doesn't eat your precious pastels :)